Star Trek: Into Darkness

Raven

As there seems to be a bit of interest in this . . .

A heads up for people wanting to see the film in 2D.

Advance ticket sales started yesterday and at present a large number of cinemas only seem to be showing this in 3D. 

My local - a Cineworld cinema - is only listing 3D viewings, so it looks like I'm going to have to travel 18 miles to another cinema if I want to see it (though having said that, Cineworld are only listing four showings per day at the moment so it may be that 2D screenings will be added as we get closer to the release date).

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I absolutely cannot wait to see this film! Star Trek was THE film of 2009 for me.  :doowapstart:

I agree!

I was never much of a Star Trek fan, I always liked Star Wars more. But when I watched the remake I was completely taken a back by how awesome this new version was. It had alot of action, and I think thats what was always missing in the Star Trek movies. And obviously the new Star Trek also had great casting and a fantastic script!

Im really looking forward to the new film, but am not interested in seeing it in 3D.

DYING TO SEE THIS FILM!!!!!!

Loved the first one - the cast were all spot on. Just watched it again last week and was still blown away by it. Cannot wait for this sequel! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I've not actually see Star Trek in full but I've seen bits of it from when it's been on TV. I've always said "urgh, I hate Star Trek", but when I watch it isn't all that bad. Especially when it's got people like Simon Pegg etc etc. I may have to watch this... once I've finally watched the whole of the first. :P

I did enjoy the first film of the new Star Trek, however I'm beginning to have some doubts about it.  I know everything in it's favor.  But.  I am of an age that I watched the original series premiere on television as a teenager, and was hooked.  This new one seems to be wandering away from Gene Roddenberry's vision.  I know, times change, but I don't have to love it. :)

It just isn't the same.  I know TOS was hokey in some ways, but it had a spirit that I miss. Not to mention a 35 year old Shatner. lol

But really.  There is a sameness about this newer version....call me sentimental.  This new version is pure J.J. Abrams, not a bad thing in itself, he is a highly talented fellow.  It just isn't the same.  Yeah, I'll be there to see the next film.  But it won't be the same.

J.J. did Lost, Alias...two tv shows that I really, really enjoyed.  His talent is unquestioned, but it is not Gene Roddenberry's vision.  I'm beginning to repeat myself, so this old foggy will depart. :)

For now. :D

I agree with you in a lot of ways, pontalba.  I grew up with TOS in the 70s, it's still my favourite incarnation.  I liked the first Abrams movie a lot, though - it really had its moments.  I don't think it was helped by the writers' strike (some of the humour was particularly clumsy), so I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with it without any hindrances.  And it needs more of Karl Urban - I thought his interpretation of McCoy was nearly spot on.

Well.  Just back from seeing the movie at the Empire in Leicester Square :smile:   I didn't think it was going to be very good for the first half hour or so, but I ended up enjoying it immensely.  I think I'll need to see it again before really making up my mind.  Pegg as Scotty doesn't really work for me, and Checkov is too hyper - which just sums up JJ Abrams approach, really:  the whole movie's so hyper that it tries to blind you to the defects in the plot and writing (there was one bit in particular that made no sense whatsoever to me).   The main three, Pine, Quinto and Urban are great - still not enough McCoy for my liking, though!

I'm glad I managed to stay completely spoiler free before seeing it.  Lots of nods to TOS

although it maybe went a little too far with the homage to Space Seed and The Wrath of Khan

Easily the most spectacular Trek movie to date. 

I agree with you in a lot of ways, pontalba.  I grew up with TOS in the 70s, it's still my favourite incarnation.  I liked the first Abrams movie a lot, though - it really had its moments.  I don't think it was helped by the writers' strike (some of the humour was particularly clumsy), so I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with it without any hindrances.  And it needs more of Karl Urban - I thought his interpretation of McCoy was nearly spot on.

>Well.  Just back from seeing the movie at the Empire in Leicester Square :smile:   I didn't think it was going to be very good for the first half hour or so, but I ended up enjoying it immensely.  I think I'll need to see it again before really making up my mind.  Pegg as Scotty doesn't really work for me, and Checkov is too hyper - which just sums up JJ Abrams approach, really:  the whole movie's so hyper that it tries to blind you to the defects in the plot and writing (there was one bit in particular that made no sense whatsoever to me).   The main three, Pine, Quinto and Urban are great - still not enough McCoy for my liking, though!

I'm glad I managed to stay completely spoiler free before seeing it.  Lots of nods to TOS

although it maybe went a little too far with the homage to Space Seed and The Wrath of Khan

Yeah.  The Abrams Touch.  While golden in many ways, it can be carried too far.  It opens here next week I believe.  We'll go and see it, and hope for the best.

I wonder if there will be similar opinions from a lot of people/fans of the old version.  And, I wonder if that will have a blowback effect on Abrams "vision" of the new ST.

Interesting to see those results, if any.

Of course it's entirely possible that the next gen of viewers/fans will outnumber the previous gen and their opinion will be.  Interesting position Abrams will be in.

Saw it myself this evening.  Not bad, but not as good as the last one. 

For want of a better term there was far to much fan-fiddle (or for readers of a more delicate sensibility, far too much self-referencing). 

The first film worked because it did something original whilst paying lip service to the past, this time out they've borrowed a lot more from Trek mythology and not been original enough, at least in my opinion.  It's not bad, but there are a couple of scenes that jarred badly for me and the resolution to one particular problem was far to obvious far to early in the film.

Only if special effects and action sequences are what you look for in your dose of Star Trek.  Yes, it looked great, but for want of a better question was it Star Trek?

On a slightly contradictory note, I think Star Wars is in safe hands.

Of course it's entirely possible that the next gen of viewers/fans will outnumber the previous gen and their opinion will be.  Interesting position Abrams will be in.

Yeah, it's a movie for people with Attention Deficit Disorder - so not your usual Trekkie ;)   Each successive movie has to have bigger explosions and louder music than the last.  It's a re-envisioning of Star Trek for the multiplex audience.  And there's still not enough McCoy! :irked::D

The two new films have both been action films with Star Trek wrapping. 

They tried to have a bit of an ethical dilemma in this one, but it really was more of a passing nod than a concerted effort before they started on the next visual effects sequence. 

It doesn't make it a bad film, but Star Trek in the cinema is never going to be able to compete with Star Trek on your telly as a platform for exploring issues, concepts and characters.

I've thoroughly enjoyed listening to Simon Mayo and Mark Kermode this afternoon, talking about Star Trek Into Darkness (there is no colon in the title, as they established in their interview with Abrams himself).  Kermode's review of the movie pretty much echoed my comments up-thread, which makes a change - very rare that I go along with what he says!  Briefly, he said it was like drinking four cups of coffee and several cans of Red Bull - moving so fast you don't have time to stop and think "Wait a minute - what???" :lol:   Very enjoyable, spectacular and funny.  All surface and little depth - but what a surface.  And Spock's hair shouldn't move when he runs :lol:

The Abrams interview was interesting.  Worth catching up with the podcast if you can.

• 2 weeks later...

We saw it in 3D and enjoyed it. Liked the references of wit from the original 70's series. Makes us want to watch them all over again.

We saw it in 3D and enjoyed it. Liked the references of wit from the original 70's series. Makes us want to watch them all over again.

The next night we watched the original Kahn from ST:TOS.  Space Seed.  It was profoundly mo bettah. 

Ricardo Montalban was amazingly perfect as Kahn, ruthless, gorgeous and wonderful.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khan_Noonien_Singh

I don't know if I can watch this on principle after what they did to the character of Uruha in the first film, they sexed her up and made her into a complete tramp. :o  

That bothered me too!

I plan to go see the film next month or the month after, somewhere. It's not out here until the 6th of June. I've only seen some episodes of the original series, my boyfriend bought me the Blu-ray but we've only seen part of season one so far (he has seen most of it when he was younger I think?). We kind of got distracted by watching Game of Thrones and other things XD.

Edited by Athena

That bothered me too!

I plan to go see the film next month or the month after, somewhere. It's not out here until the 6th of June. I've only seen some episodes of the original series, my boyfriend bought me the Blu-ray but we've only seen part of season one so far (he has seen most of it when he was younger I think?). We kind of got distracted by watching Game of Thrones and other things XD.

I love the original series! I am gradually collecting them  on DVD from charity shops when I see them...got about half the episodes now..