Unfinished books.. will you pick them up again?

It has only been recently that I have assuaged my guilt of book-quiting (and it was a strong one). There are just so many books out there to enjoy.

I may pick up these again when in the proper mood :lol::

Birdsong

The Dante Club

The Interpretation of Murder

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to never quit a book regardless of how bad or unenjoyable because there was normally something there, if you look really hard.:D

It was actually the cinema that changed my attitudes. I have an annual ticket and can see as many or few films as I like for a flat fee. Not thinking of it as paying I started seeing films I wouldn't normally and also left films I didn't enjoy. My first was Aviator (title couldn't keep my interest), King Arthur followed (not even for a virtually naked Keira Knightley), Elizabeth (Cate Blanchetts bum topped by not even being close to historical fact) and the dreadful Cloverfield spring to mind.

Then I started doing the same with books, Dune (God Emperor) was the first, Twilight and even a Terry Pratchett (although I had read this one before).

I actually feels a sense of achievement of being able to put down a book, pull the book mark out and sticking it on the charity pile (or deleting as Twilight was an eBook). I am an unforgiving critic, I won't go back to a book nor the rest of the series.

This isn't criticism of the films and books above, it's just that they weren't meant for me. (Well okay criticism for Colverfield and God Emperor:)).

I may pick up these again when in the proper mood ;):

(...)

The Dante Club

I haven't finished that one either :smile2: But I have it at home,so I'm hoping to finish it someday...

Anyway,I sometimes start reading a book and don't finish it for random reasons (lack of time,interest,too many books to choose from and I can't decide which one I want to read....), but mostly I pick it up again some time later and finish it eventually.Depending on how well I remember what I've read, sometimes I start all over again,and sometimes I just pick up where I stopped.

You can't always be in the mood for anything/everything, so...why waste precious reading time :lol:

• 1 month later...

I usually do not go back to read the book I've put down. In the rare case I do, its usually while i'm in between books and have nothing to read at the moment, and hope that maybe the book will appeal to me now, though this is usually never the case.

I usually put books down when they switch character views, Jodi Picoult likes to write like this, which is ok to me if quick, but in Second Glance, I couldn't get into after the first switch and just stopped reading.

I'm not sure what to say here. There have been books I got put off but I don't put them down with the intention of starting them again. I usually just give up on those forever...:D

As for the books I have put down and meant to pick up again when I'm in the mood - I'm still convinced I will, at some point. Mostly because I didn't start them and eventually disliked the story, it's usually because I didn't have the time, got interested in another book at the same time or had to give the book back to the library or something...

At least two books come to mind when I'm writing this...two that I mean to start again next summer. Firstly, The Lord of the Rings. I never got through the first book, I was 200 pages in when I became absorbed in something else. Same goes for A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin - truly great series, I just got a little lost on the way!