Unfinished books.. will you pick them up again?

I really hate to put a book down unfinished...it feels like I've failed. Saying that though I have done it - Stephen Kings Insomnia bored me so badly I gave the book to my sister who said she liked it. I also gave up on a book about Elizabeth the First because it went into far too much detail, I really didn't need to know how much linen she bought in a year!

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hate to put a book down unfinished...it feels like I've failed.

Yeah, I usually feel the same. I feel guilty for not finishing it, but then I realize that maybe the book is just not for me. If I'm not connecting with it, then I won't finish it. I'd rather read when I can be fully engaged in the story from beginning to end.

Edited by Capture

I have only not finished 1 book - I think it was called The Librarian and I just couldn't get into it and after several tries I gave up.

I always try to finish them because I know the author has put a lot of time and effort into it so I kinda feel bad if I don't see them out till the end.

• 5 weeks later...

I actually hate to start reading a book and not to finish... no matter how bad I want to see it through to the end. I recently order and started reading Blindness by Jose Saramago

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blindness-Jose-Saramago/dp/1860466850/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266758230&sr=1-1

after 50 pages I was bored...after 100...I was asleep...and after 150 I tore it up and threw in a waste bin....yes a brand new book and I was mad with myself for not finishing....so do you always finish even though the book is driving you insane:motz:

I really hate not finishing a book :)

I've given up a few before, most recently I gave up on The Little Stranger. I just felt like I was getting nowhere with it and it just wasn't holding my attention. I know others really enjoyed it, but I hated it :)

I've also had Breaking Dawn sitting on my shelf half read for the past year. I will finish it though as it's part of a saga. It just got a bit stupid for me in the end and Bella drives me up the wall :D

so do you always finish even though the book is driving you insane:motz:

That used to be the plan, but after struggling through a few books for the sake of it when I wasnt enjoying any of it whatsoever, my philosophy now is if I am not enjoying it, it's got to go; after all I wouldn't sit through a movie I wasnt enjoying.

That means I will never find out what happened at the end of the millennium trilogy after throwing the 3rd book under a car, but hey ho; there are far to many enjoyable books on the planet to waste your time reading ones you cant get into.

That means I will never find out what happened at the end of the millennium trilogy after throwing the 3rd book under a car

:):lol:

Life's too short! I used to feel guilty for not finishing a book but these days, if I'm not enjoying it I'll put it down and not feel guilty :)

I finish everything although I doubt it has anything to do with guilt. More likely getting my money's worth, or just plain curiousness. I confess I sometimes resort to skimming. I once read The DaVinci Code in a little over an hour and I don't think I missed anything!

I plan on finishing many books that I started but never finished. However, I didn't leave them unfinished because I didn't enjoy them - I've just been too easily distracted. I usually won't finish a book if I think it's bad/don't enjoy reading it.

I often abandon books if I'm not in the mood for them, or I'm not liking them. Usually I then get rid of the books by selling them on. Recently though I have been giving a lot of books a second go, usually ones that everybody seems to have loved, and by and large I've found that I have enjoyed them all the second time round.

Examples are: The Time Traveler's Wife, Small Island, Julie and Julia, The Lovely Bones, The Woman in Black, Raven Black - I could go on.

I think it's simply a case of changing tastes.

• 4 weeks later...

I had to put down The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath recently. It's very unlike me to do that, but it was too much for me at the time. I loved what I had read though, so I'll probably continue to read a few pages here and there.

I think I'm going to put The Collected Works of Edgar Allan Poe away for a while, I really liked his spookier stuff and his poetry but some of the stories...I'm just not getting them. And I've been trying on and off to read this for ages now. I think it's time to move on.

I'm really struggling with Never Let me go. I'm feeling a little down at the moment and I think I've just chosen the wrong time to read it. I don't really want to give up on it, but I feel I should be enjoying it and I'm not, so I think I'm going to stop and come back to it at a later date.