Buying books at auction.

Drislane

On Saturday last I was at a local auction house in Montrose on the trail of a first edition on behalf of a friend. With a guide price of £20 - £40 I secured it at £30. With commission it was £36.

It’s a monthly event with old books up every month but with a category of their own every second one. Reading is my passion but searching out old leather bound classics is another. I am fortunate to have such an auction house close by. I just wanted to ask if there are others on the forum who loves collecting old books at auction? It would be good to compare notes! :)

I haven't seen any book auctions around my area, Louisiana, USA, but boy oh boy, I'd love to see some!

We do go to Estate Sales quite often, but it's weird, we don't see many books for sale. I don't know if the families take them, or the people whose estate it was just were not readers. 

While I have yet to invent a travel machine that would take you from deepest Louisiana to darkest Angus once every four weeks, (I will continue to work on that, Pontalba ;)), the auction house in question puts its full catalogue online, detailed and photographed, some two weeks before each monthly auction. Though not up yet, the upcoming auction on the 4th May has a category relating solely to 'Sale of 19th & 20th-century natural history, fiction, historical, local and other books.' There can be anything from 400-1000 lots on offer. It is well worth a look, even if just for a half hour with a good cup of coffee, or tea or rooibos.  The auction house in question is Taylors of Montrose and I would expect the catalogue to be up in a week or so.

I would imagine, as you say, that estate sales may draw a blank more often than not. However, should you hit pay dirt on one, it's likely to be something special indeed. The auction house would generate a lot more competition!

Edited by Drislane

Where we live there is a book fair with new books at a payable price that travels from town to town (large ones). I've been to a few of them and get very greedy when I am there. I love them.

I understand well what you saying Miss Mabel!  I like that one! That's interesting! That must be worth more than that! I add in the bidding on the auction floor and........Books anyone? Get your books here! :)

I like the idea of the travelling book sale by the way. Can you send them to Angus please?

Edited by Drislane

I think that it is possible because they buy up the books other bookstore/sellers don't sell and then they can sell them for next to nothing. I always give myself a spending limit. And, naturally, I never meet my limit. Always go over. Which means that I have to find a secluded spot to sit and downsize my collection. It's not easy. I get much too greedy. I'd love to send it to your town, but I fear that is impossible....

While I have yet to invent a travel machine that would take you from deepest Louisiana to darkest Angus once every four weeks, (I will continue to work on that, Pontalba ;)),

I count on that! :cool:

I wish!! :D

Given your location and that final line above, Miss Mabel, there is nothing now to dispel the image in my mind that you live on a mythical floating landmass somewhere. Something akin to the mystical island in the Life of Pi.  :)

Pontalba, you would not believe how much time I spent working on that machine, goggles on, this weekend past. Ready in time for the next auction? I cannot say for sure......

Given your location and that final line above, Miss Mabel, there is nothing now to dispel the image in my mind that you live on a mythical floating landmass somewhere. Something akin to the mystical island in the Life of Pi.  :)

And, what a wonderful place that would be...

Pontalba, you would not believe how much time I spent working on that machine, goggles on, this weekend past. Ready in time for the next auction? I cannot say for sure......

I do believe you!   I felt the vibes!  lolol

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...