Teachers' Top 100 Books

Janet

Sad to see no Pratchett in there - I would have put his entire Discworld series on the list in place of the Twilight books.

Some of us would have put neither! (But I do agree with your disappointment at Twilight being there).

I agree with Michelle. The Hobbit is much more to the point and enjoyable. I would highly recommend it over The Lord of the Rings.

Very much the other way round for me. I'm not a fantasy fan, but really enjoyed LOTR, whilst I barely made it to the end of The Hobbit. Having said that, LOTR is one of those books where I can fully understand why somebody might not like it, whilst I'm completely perplexed if that is said of, say, Jane Austen!

Personally, I am surprised (as I always am) at how many children's books make this sort of list. One or two make for good adult reading, and yes, I have read and enjoyed most if not all the children's books listed at some time (mostly as a child), but amongst current favourites as an adult? Not really.

Edited by willoyd

I think children's books are to be expected in a list such as this. Teachers will think about the books they personally enjoy, as well as the ones they read with the children.. and if they teach younger children, they will spend a lot of time with children's books. :)

I think children's books are to be expected in a list such as this. Teachers will think about the books they personally enjoy, as well as the ones they read with the children.. and if they teach younger children, they will spend a lot of time with children's books. :)

Yes, as a primary teacher I spend a LOT of time with children's books. That may be why I read fewer than I ever did prior to training (as a mature student) and rarely feel inclined towards reading a children's book out of school. Instead, I find I have a craving for more adult fare. That's partly why I'm so surprised. Edited by willoyd

However, they've been asked what their favourite books are, not specifically what they read in their spare time. As the article says, some may not read much for pleasure, so when asked to name a number of their favourite books, they may well think of the ones they enjoy in the school setting.

However, they've been asked what their favourite books are, not specifically what they read in their spare time. As the article says, some may not read much for pleasure, so when asked to name a number of their favourite books, they may well think of the ones they enjoy in the school setting.

Fair point. I certainly have some children's books I remember very fondly, but I can't think of any that I'd put in my current favourites. And you're right about some not reading much for pleasure: I'm one of only a couple of teachers at school who do that.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have read 14 of these. Most of them in school at some point and a lot of them i have read more than once. There are a bunch that are on my TBR that I haven't gotten to and even more that I wish to read, but haven't bought yet.