The Consort by Anthony Heckstall-Smith?

Oblomov

One of the most unusual and oddly prophetic books that I have ever read is an obscure little number called "The Consort", a romantic fantasy by Anthony Heckstall-Smith. I found a copy of this book by pure accident a few years ago while waiting for something from another shop in Old Town of Swindon. To pass the time, I stolled out for a walk and found some old paperbacks left out in a basket outside a secondhand shop. Thumbing through some of them, I idly picked this one up for 50p and it tuned out to be a great buy. The book was written in 1962, but set in 1950. It is about the new Queen of an unnamed "European Country" and her Prince consort....you can guess where the similarities came from. But what I found most fascinating was that the plot had some inverse parallels with the then ongoing Princess Diana & Dodi saga ...... it was a few months before their death. I recommend the book to anyone with a bit of imagination :).

Are you suggesting that it was in some way prophetic?Pp

In a perverse sort of way, I'd say yes, it was. If you start reading the book, the parallels to the then contemporary personalities and situations will be obvious, but that in itself would not be surprising. But what is 'prophetic' is our 'inverse comparison' of the main character in some respects with Diana, though the author meant to identify him with someone else (also obvious). I cannot say more without revealing the plot, but the story is considerably more lighthearted than reality and ends on a happier note.

It is very intriguing (I think both of us got it right!:)). As I mentioned, the book was written in 1962 and set in 1950, but it has an oddly contemporary feel to it with its cheerful, bawdy and yet poignant approach. At the time of its publishing, it became an immediate bestseller in 19 countries, but has had just one reprint 5 years after the first publication and is very hard to find now. Also, I cannot believe that no one tried to make a film out of it although the plot was simply crying out for it. All that makes me wonder whether 'certain forces' suppressed any further publicity to avoid offending the British Royalty.

I think this link might explain it. It is an extract from 1965:

THE CONSORT by Anthony Heckstall-Smith. 181 pages. Grove. $4.50.

"Should they really have banned this story?" asks the book jacket. Well, nobody really did. After printing several thousand copies of this ribald and frisky little fantasy of royal family life, the British publishers accepted the anguished advice of their barristers and chickened out.

Although Author Heckstall-Smith halfheartedly twists a few facts, there is never any doubt about who his consort is meant to be. After all, how many royal consorts are there who are handsome and charming, notoriously impatient with stuffy protocol, and married to serious-minded queens who love horses and receive government documents in red dispatch boxes? If there was any doubt, the publishers archly turned out the book with two jackets, the outer showing the consort with his queen in full British-style ceremonial robes, the inner replacing the queen with a lush brown maiden.

Ok you have won me over! I have ordered a second hand copy from the great 'A'. For a 1p no less! Plus postage of course. Not sure when I will have time to read it, but it sounds interesting, as a piece of social and media history, or should that be political...

I should get it some time next week, but as I say, not sure when I'll read it. The old TBR mountain has snow on the top now!

By the way we stayed in Wiltshire last summer for our Hols, at Devizes. Very nice county.

Pp

My copy arrived this morning. It looks interesting. And to add to that, whoever last read it, only reached chapter seven. I know because they ledt a bookmark, which, on inspection turned out to be the corner of an envelope, cut exactly to the size of the corner of the page, and then the page slipped in. I have never seen that before. It has given me a few creative Ideas. Hey up folks, you may all get illustrated personal bookmarks!

Back to the book. It does hint that it's a fairy tale, as the dedication says

To Mette

as Danes enjoy fairy tales.

Sounds good to me. I will try and fit it into my reading schedule very soon!

Pp

Back to the book. It does hint that it's a fairy tale, as the dedication says

Pp

It is certainly a fantasy tale but very down to earth. I think that 'fairy tale' quote is a jest. The intersting thing is that Anthony Heckstall-Smith was something of a war historian and all his other works seem to be non-fiction and about various conflicts. The Consort was his one and only fiction and he wrote a romantic fantasy of all things!

I don't want to reveal too much, but you will notice several unique features about the book (other than 2 dustjackets for the hardcover edition). None of the main characters (except Tia) are actually named throughout the story and are simply addressed as "The Consort", "The Empress", "The Admiral", "The Ensign", "The Equerry", "The Queen", "The Prime Minister" and so on. Also, what starts out as a light, romantic comedy gradually darkens as the story builds-up. But it is the parallel with events more recently that will come as a real surprise.

• 3 weeks later...

Glad you liked the book PP. I often wonder how it would be if they mede it into a movie now. Jude Law would be ideal in the title role with Queen Latifah as the Empress of Backward Islands and Judi Dench as the Worldy wise Dowager Queen Mother. I also fancy Brian Cox as the opportunistic "Police Cheif".

PS: I also have the hardcover edition now - a book in excellent condition with both dust jackets!

Ohh! could you download piccies of both covers? I kept hearing about the two covers but never actually saw them.

Yes, It's just begging to be made into a film. Normally I would say...no chance now, after recent history, but film makers seem to get away with anything, however distasteful or insensitive. I agree with you on Judy Dench, she's such a wonderful actress, and would carry the role superbly. The police chief reminded me of Poirot, effeminate, and camp but sharp as nails. Not sure if that would be a role for David Suchet though, as Poirot was lovable...the police chief, I thought not.

Anyway if you could post piccies sometime that would be great.

Pp

The police chief reminded me of Poirot, effeminate, and camp but sharp as nails. Not sure if that would be a role for David Suchet though, as Poirot was lovable...the police chief, I thought not.

Come to think of it, David Suchet would be very good as the Police Chief, better than Cox. Suchet can be evil if he wants to - have you seen him as the murderous terrorist in Executive Decision? Brian Cox would be suited for the randy Admiral on the Consort's yacht.

Who would you have for the roles of the young Queen, Tia, the Churchillian PM, the Island Empress' American paramour etc?

I thought the funniest line in the book was when the understanding Royal Physician tells the Consort "Your Highness, if you tell me what you want the problem to be I can prescribe accordingly" or something like that.

PS: If you PM me your e-mail address, I can send you copies of the dustjackets.