Your Book Activity ~ April 2013

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have started The Fallen Star by Jessica Sorensen, a YA read that has good reviews on Goodreads and was free to download.. the story is pretty good so far but the writing is a little iffy, a bit too much use of brackets for my liking but I'm trying to not let it irritate me! :)

Got my books for next month from my book group today - we're reading Life Class by Pat Barker, and The Time Machine by H. G. Wells. A kind soul in the group also lent me Man Walks Into A Room by Nicole Krauss, as I'd enjoyed The History of Love as much as she had.

I've just heard that The Thread is our next book club read so I need to pick up a copy sometime soon..

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it  :smile:

I read the first 100 pages in The Island last yesterday, so far so good.

I think I've read that. Is that the one with Sugar?

I am pretty sure I will definitely be finished with The Tower tonight. And oh my God it is sooo good! I've had trouble putting it down.

Yes, it is.  How did you get on with it?

Finished Jane Eyre. Enjoyed it far more than the first time I read it, but not sure why! :D

It changes with each age we read it CB.  It was the same for me.  I was very young when I first read it, and then at different stages of adulthood, then only last year, again.  I've reacted a little differently each time. 

I'm about 7% through as well, though it is a re-read for me. I had forgotten about that style of it; I agree, it is unusual.

I'm not altogether happy with the style, I find it a bit off putting actually.  It's a good thing I started reading earlier than I ordinarily do for a planned discussion. 

Books read in April are as follows:

The Racketeer - John Grisham

Back Story - Robert Parker

Storm of Swords - R.R. Martin

Memory of Light - Robert Jordan (currently reading)

April has been a slow month for me, for some reason Storm of Swords slowed me down. For the year I have read 29 books, 13 of those were by Robert Parker.

Edited by muggle not

Read a short story yesterday which took me all of an hour or so. Was only 50 pages long. Thinking of starting the next book after The Reality Dysfunction next. So will most likely start that tonight or tomorrow.

I have to say the idea of watching it as a movie is too scary for me :hide::blush2:

I'm so happy to hear you loved Carrie!

I think that ought definitely to be less macabre as it's non-fiction about writing, but then again, it's Stephen King, so one can expect anything, really... :lol:

Frankie, The original film is great and I'm a big wimp! I have to admit that I was very disappointed by 'On Writing' and was really looking forward to learning more about how Stephen King writes, but it turned out to be more of a autobiography, which surprisingly, didn't grab me :(

So I'm sticking with King's fiction and reading 'Thinner'. I'm enjoying it so far, but have to say, it's not one of King's best novels.

I'm 20% of the way through Wuthering Heights now and I'm surprised as to how much I'm liking it!

I re-read it a couple of weeks ago and I enjoyed it really much. I think it's one of those books you can just love or hate.. personally I adore it!

I'm finishing Mama Tandoori (I believe it has the same title in english too) by Ernest Van der Kwast: it's really funny.. I hope the end won't be disappointing.

Finished The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenburgh (late) last night/this morning, a fantastic read, one of my favourite books this year definitely! :) Going to look the author up now to see if any more books are in the pipeline..

Nice to hear you found another good read/author to share with us Hayley. So far your recommendations have been spot on ;)

Have now started 'The Postmistress' by Sarah Blake again which I had dipped in to before but put aside, so am going to give it another go.

Started The Neutronium Alchemist. It's gotten good already so far. I'm expecting to have the same issue I had with the first book where the book feels way too long and I'm going to hate the thought of reading such a big book but not so far. Still a ways to go.

Started The Neutronium Alchemist. It's gotten good already so far. I'm expecting to have the same issue I had with the first book where the book feels way too long and I'm going to hate the thought of reading such a big book but not so far. Still a ways to go.

I've read that one a couple of times - it's awesome :D

I have started Slaughterhouse 5 - Kurt Vonnegut but I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. It's such a small book I might not know until after I've read it!

It's a tricky book, the narrative's all over the place, but I found it a very rewarding read. I hope you end up enjoying it! :)

Finished The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenburgh (late) last night/this morning, a fantastic read, one of my favourite books this year definitely! :) Going to look the author up now to see if any more books are in the pipeline..

A lot of people on here seem to have liked it, I'd better add it to my wishlist :)

I'm two thirds of the way through Jane Eyre now, and enjoying it much more than my first reading of it a few years ago. Not sure why, but the first half seemed more lively than I remember, although I'm just about to get to the part where

Jane leaves Thornfield after the revelation about Rochester (even in spoiler tags I'm trying not to spoil!)

which I know I struggled with during my first reading.

I love your carefulness re: spoiler tags :lol:

Finished Jane Eyre. Enjoyed it far more than the first time I read it, but not sure why! :D

I've tried re-reading the book so many times but I always give up, I always forget that there's the, imho, boring phase of her school years to be read before the actual story starts :blush: I'm happy you persisted and re-enjoyed it x10 :D

Frankie, The original film is great and I'm a big wimp! I have to admit that I was very disappointed by 'On Writing' and was really looking forward to learning more about how Stephen King writes, but it turned out to be more of a autobiography, which surprisingly, didn't grab me :(

That's sad about On Writing :(  I mean, sure he can't avoid a bit of reminiscing when writing about his own experiences, but an autobio is an autobio and should be written on its own!

Finished HMS Surprise and this morning made a start on East of Eden :smile:

Haa, finally you're tackling the one that might surprise everyone! :D

I have no book activities, of late. I've tried starting a few different books but nothing sticks :rolleyes:

No "job" today (if you call a job helping teens with their homework) because I don't feel ok.. so I started and finished Running with Scissors by Augusten Borroughs..  liked it, but it's so harsh in some passages I had to force myself through.

I just finished reading Balzac and the little Chineese Seamstress. It was actually very good. I didn't expect it to be as good as it was. It's a novella, so a fast read.

I am now reading Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood. I love books set in the South and I loved this movie.