Your Book Activity ~ April 2013

I'm really enjoying Human Remains; it's going in an unexpected and unusual direction I think. I just wish I had more time to read it. I have exams next month so am in panic mode and seem to spend most of my time studying. I still managed at least 30 minutes a night for reading, but really wish I had more time! :banghead:

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was doing some crafts yesterday and had Flush by Virginia Wolfe on my PC as audio book, so decided to start that. It starts out slow, but gets better.

I can't quote above  my post for some reason because it keeps adding another quote box!

Anyway, yes, Laurie Lee wrote Cider with Rosie, which I loved.  I've read three others - this one is slightly different as it's a collection of random essays rather than his usual non-fiction books about collected events.  :)

He's the one who wrote Cider with Rosie, right? I haven't read it yet, but I know people like the book, so you have my approval and there's no shame in the purchase :D (Not that you need my approval in the first place, of course!)

I can't quote above  my post for some reason because it keeps adding another quote box!

Anyway, yes, Laurie Lee wrote Cider with Rosie, which I loved.  I've read three others - this one is slightly different as it's a collection of random essays rather than his usual non-fiction books about collected events.  :)

I hope you enjoy it just the same :)

I'm almost half way through Doris Day - Her Own Story, the pages are just flying by.

I've brought my Kindle into work to read, but I can't concentrate on it with others around, so I shall have to leave my reading till tonight! :banghead:

I put my earphones in at work, even if I don't put any music on as it tends to block out the majority of the ambient noise, although I do often play classical or instrumental music, such as jazz, flamenco, tango, etc.

I'm almost half way through Doris Day - Her Own Story, the pages are just flying by.

That made me smile, i used to go out with a guy who had a thing for Doris Day  :smile:

That's a good idea, Chesil. I may have to try that. :smile:

Chesil beat me too it, i always listen to classical music on my ipod when i'm trying to read & there's a lot of background noise  :smile:

I finished Still Missing  Beth Gutcheon . This is not just the best book i've read this year it's one of the best books i've ever read......Brilliant!!!

I've brought my Kindle into work to read, but I can't concentrate on it with others around, so I shall have to leave my reading till tonight! :banghead:

I hate it when that happens, which where I work seems to be most days. People don't seem to respect the right to silence anymore.

I have had a fairly quiet month book wise so far, being about 75 percent through my second book of the month - Narcopolis by Jeet Thayil, this is mostly due to my employers having stuffed up my wages and consequently being expected to live on just £500 for a whole month. I have though just received a £15 amazon gift voucher so that means that I can go on a spending spree - yippee !

That made me smile, i used to go out with a guy who had a thing for Doris Day  :smile:

Hehe :) She's something of an icon, she is! And she's had to deal with many a tragedy, and yet she keeps on trucking! I think she's 89 years old now :)

I didn't make much process yesterday and I'm going to be busy today and tomorrow, so I can't get in a lot of reading :(  I can't wait to get into the book again!

I'm planning on having a couple of hours later this afternoon, once I've finished cleaning the house (which I'm currently not doing, obviously). I get so easily distracted!  :banghead: 

Meep - I hope you get your wages sorted out, June.  Can't they somehow give you the missing money?  It's a bit unreasonable to expect you to survive on less money than you're meant to.

I have been through this with them already, and they say I have to wait until the next pay day, which is 26th April. In the meantime I have had to raid the savings account. The trouble is you can't keep doing that without putting the money back in.

I put my earphones in at work, even if I don't put any music on as it tends to block out the majority of the ambient noise, although I do often play classical or instrumental music, such as jazz, flamenco, tango, etc.

I do this as well. Quite often when it's quiet at work I can slope off somewhere quiet, stick some blues on and read undisturbed.

Not done much reading recently. Read a few pages yesterday during my wait between coaches but nothing dramatic. Hoping to pick up soon but could take awhile as I've got to start up on my essay again and I'm watching Vampire Diaries and doing other various things.

After a terrible couple of weeks of not being able to get into any fiction (I have been perusing health and cookery books) I have started The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenburgh, I'm enjoying it already and think this will definitely be the book to get my mojo started again.. :)

At my book group, due to the rising costs of hiring the library in the evening, we can only afford to reserve one book for each of us each month, but as quite a few of us have ereaders, we also pick out a classic book so that it's either free to download, or most of us are likely to already own as a second book choice.  This month, our main book is Room by Emma Donoghue, but I can't face picking it up at the moment so I'm currently re-reading our classic choice, Jane Eyre.  Although I have a paperback copy somewhere, I downloaded a free Kindle version and have found it 557 pages long! :eek:  I don't remember it being that long when I first read it a few years ago!!??

Edited by chesilbeach