Your Book Activity ~ April 2013

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished Pancol first book of the trilogy with animal names in the title. It's really lovely. But I went to the library this morning to pick the second one, but it was out... I hate waiting.. :banghead:

I think I'll read Wuthering Heights for my reading circle in the meantime, even if I've read it a dozen time already. :blush2:

Finished Madame Verona Comes Down the Hill by Dimitri Verhulst which I didn't think much of, and I'm now starting May's RC book - The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber.

I'm really enjoying Wolf Hall now and i'm about to read a few more chapters :)

Very happy to hear it! :D

I've just finished Bring Up the Bodies by Mantel.  I don't know what is next.  I'm still back in Cromwell's day.

laura, since you are enjoying Wolf Hall, you'll love Bring Up the Bodies!

I'm just about to start the last of the books I picked up from the library a week or so ago. Why I Am a Buddhist by Stephen T. Asma. The last few books have really kick my reading mojo back into gear again.

I've finished 'Carrie' by Stephen King and loved it. I was tempted to read another Stephen King novel, but decided to read something a bit less macabre, so I'm starting on 'Ulysses' by James Joyce.

I finished Digging To America  Anne Tyler last night & this morning i started a book i read about on Ruth's reading log called Dead Man Walking  Sister Helen Prejean.

I finished The Show on Friday, I had a few little niggles with it but generally enjoyed it well enough. Rather than starting a new one on my kindle I borrowed Friends Like These from Archie (the other half), I actually bought it for him originally- with no agenda of course!

Janet, Miss Mabel, and Frankie - I finished reading "Water For Elephants" tonight.It is the best book that I have read so far this year. I cannot give it enough praise, thoroughly enjoyable.

I remember a lot of people raving about Water for Elephants when I first joined, in fact I think I read it as a book ring on here. The film is quite good too, although not as good as the book, as films rarely are.

I couldn't make up my mind what to start after the Cromwell books, I wanted something completely different.  So I finally picked The Great Gatsby by Fitzgerald.  The film is coming out, sometime soon.  I'm about a third of the way through, and I'm really enjoying it.

Carrie by Stephen King is on my TBR, glad to hear you liked it Karen! Ulysses by James Joyce is on my TBR too, look forward to hear/read what you think of it.

I've read Brian Beker - Notes of a Rescue Dog in Progress (rating **** (4/5), see here). I've nearly finished Joe Haldeman - Marsbound 3: Earthbound, very likely I'll have it finished later today. I started to read Allen Elkin - Stress Management for Dummies.

I've taken The Crimson Petal and the White off the shelf to remind myself to start on it in a while.

Edited by Athena

Carrie by Stephen King is on my TBR, glad to hear you liked it Karen! Ulysses by James Joyce is on my TBR too, look forward to hear/read what you think of it.

To be honest I read the first few lines of 'Ulysses' and decided that I might not want to read it right now. So I have chosen to read 'On Writing' by Stephen King.

Very happy to hear it! :D

I've just finished Bring Up the Bodies by Mantel.  I don't know what is next.  I'm still back in Cromwell's day.

laura, since you are enjoying Wolf Hall, you'll love Bring Up the Bodies!

I'm now about a third of the way through and still really enjoying it. Hopefully one day ill get around to reading the next one but i have so many more books waiting to be read glad you enjoyed it though!

Edited by lauraloves

Just finished listening to Darker Angels by M.L.N. Hanover. Book 2 in the Black Sun series. It was good. It's an urban fantasy but reads like a crime novel. Reminds me of the book The Host by S. Meyer.

Lack of reading time means I'm making slow but steady progress through The Crimson Petal and the White. That's not a reflection on the book at all though - I'm really enjoying it and would thoroughly recommend it.

I finished Dead Man Walking  Sister Helen Prejean  today & have now started reading Still Missing  Beth Gutcheon a book i've had on my wishlist for a long time & then discovered in my local library. While i was there i also reserved The Last Runaway  Tracy Chevalier; there's quite a waiting list but hey it's not like i don't have anything to read while i'm waiting...... Yay for libraries  :D

Made a start on Joe Abercrombie's Best Served Cold this morning.  I've been denying this one to myself ever since reading - and loving The Heroes, so I'm really looking forward to it.  That's a recipe for disappointment, if ever there was one :D

Janet, Miss Mabel, and Frankie - I finished reading "Water For Elephants" tonight.It is the best book that I have read so far this year. I cannot give it enough praise, thoroughly enjoyable.

I'm happy to hear that! :)  I really should bump this up on my TBR this year...

I really enjoyed it Frankie ; it;'s one of those books that stays in your head after you've finished reading it. I have another of his books on my TBR pile If This Is A Man. The Truce about his time in Auschwitz but i'm going to wait awhile before i read that.  :smile:

A book that stays with you long after you've read it is always that much more special of a book, I think :)  I'm glad you enjoyed it, I will be more inclined to read it myself now at some point. I'm also looking forward to your thoughts on If This Is A Man. That's supposed to be great, too!

Thanks Frankie :smile:  I've seen the film version and that was pretty creepy! So far the book is proving good too.

I have to say the idea of watching it as a movie is too scary for me :hide::blush2:

x

I love the movie too! It's different from the book but I love them both. I recently bought the film on DVD, we have it on VCR tape but I liked it so much I wanted it on DVD since VCR's are old these days. It's what inspired me to buy the book.

The movie's definitely a keeper, it's such a lovely story and the actors did a superb job :)

I found I Can't Stay Long by Laurie Lee for 50p today so I just had to buy it! :D

He's the one who wrote Cider with Rosie, right? I haven't read it yet, but I know people like the book, so you have my approval and there's no shame in the purchase :D (Not that you need my approval in the first place, of course!)

Finished Pancol first book of the trilogy with animal names in the title. It's really lovely. But I went to the library this morning to pick the second one, but it was out... I hate waiting.. :banghead:

Oh that's such a shame! I hope you get a copy of it soon :empathy:

I've finished 'Carrie' by Stephen King and loved it. I was tempted to read another Stephen King novel, but decided to read something a bit less macabre, so I'm starting on 'Ulysses' by James Joyce.

I'm so happy to hear you loved Carrie!

To be honest I read the first few lines of 'Ulysses' and decided that I might not want to read it right now. So I have chosen to read 'On Writing' by Stephen King.,

I think that ought definitely to be less macabre as it's non-fiction about writing, but then again, it's Stephen King, so one can expect anything, really... :lol:

Made a start on Joe Abercrombie's Best Served Cold this morning.  I've been denying this one to myself ever since reading - and loving The Heroes, so I'm really looking forward to it.  That's a recipe for disappointment, if ever there was one :D

:D I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it! Like I've said, it's one of the verrrrry few fantasy titles that I picked up by myself and added on wishlist... :hide:

I think I've got a hold of my mojo for at least a short while... I managed to finish two current reads and started a new book: Doris Day - Her Own Story by A. E. Hotchner. My expectations are very very high! I was already hooked by the prologue... And I love the fact that Doris Day wanted A. E. Hotchner to do the book because she'd loved his book on Papa Hemingway (and I happen to have that book!)  :smile2: