Your Book Activity ~ April 2013

I started and finished Running with Scissors by Augusten Borroughs..  liked it, but it's so harsh in some passages I had to force myself through.

I read this last year on my hols & really enjoyed it but there were parts of it that made me cringe. Some of the descriptive parts of it when he was with his boyfriend made my toes curl :blush2: 

I finished The Island by Victoria Hislop over the weekend & have made a start on Bleak House  Charles Dickens.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read this last year on my hols & really enjoyed it but there were parts of it that made me cringe. Some of the descriptive parts of it when he was with his boyfriend made my toes curl :blush2:

I finished The Island by Victoria Hislop over the weekend & have made a start on Bleak House  Charles Dickens.

I read The Island for our Real Life book club a few years ago. I really enjoyed it. Hope you did too.

I read The Island for our Real Life book club a few years ago. I really enjoyed it. Hope you did too.

I did enjoy it Miss Mabel, i think it would be an ideal beach holiday read  :smile:

I did enjoy it Miss Mabel, i think it would be an ideal beach holiday read  :smile:

I agree, it would! have you ever read Moloka'i by Alan Brennert? It's also a wonderful read about a lebrecy island in Hawaii. I thought it better than The Island.

No "job" today (if you call a job helping teens with their homework) because I don't feel ok.. so I started and finished Running with Scissors by Augusten Borroughs..  liked it, but it's so harsh in some passages I had to force myself through.

I think we read this as a reading circle...or maybe it was a Rory book. I can't remember it very well but I have others by Borroughs on my wishlist so I must have enjoyed it.

I'm still (sorta) reading The Crimson Petal and the White, but the style is really not doing it for me.  I'm about 19% into it.

In-between I'm reading (finally!) Garment of Shadows by Laurie R. King.  It's the last installment of the Mary Russell/S. Holmes series.  I'm enjoying it already at about 35 pages in.  Her depiction of someone with amnesia is startlingly excellent. 

I;ve also started Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor.  One my all time favorites, but haven't read it in, oh at least 30 years.  It still holds up.

Started The Neutronium Alchemist. It's gotten good already so far. I'm expecting to have the same issue I had with the first book where the book feels way too long and I'm going to hate the thought of reading such a big book but not so far. Still a ways to go.

x

I should reread the series sometime, I really love it. Hope it's fun for you :).

I've finished reading:

Charles H. Elliott and Laura L. Smith - Overcoming Anxiety for Dummies (great book)

Barbara Delinsky - The Right Wrong Number (pretty good but short)

Sophie Kinsella - Twenties Girl (this was excellent)

I've started reading W. Doyle Gentry - Anger Management for Dummies and Ann M. Martin - Babysitter's Club 1: Kristy's Great Idea (I've read the last one in Dutch many times as a child). I might read Michael Faber - The Crimson and the White soon (since it's May in a bit), and maybe George R. R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire 1: Game of Thrones (I'm eager to read it after re-watching some episodes of the TV series).

No "job" today (if you call a job helping teens with their homework) because I don't feel ok.. so I started and finished Running with Scissors by Augusten Borroughs..  liked it, but it's so harsh in some passages I had to force myself through.

Oh it's very harsh, very descriptive, very in-your face, but I thought it was written in such a funny way that I couldn't help but laugh (sometimes out of astonishment). Do you think you'll read anything other by him?

I hope you start feeling better soon! :empathy:

I just finished reading Balzac and the little Chineese Seamstress. It was actually very good. I didn't expect it to be as good as it was. It's a novella, so a fast read.

I am now reading Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood. I love books set in the South and I loved this movie.

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress was really great, wasn't it? :) I didn't expect much of it either, so it was a real unexpected gem :)

I agree :) But I still loved the book!

(And sometimes it was really hard to keep in mind that his 'boyfriend' was so much older than him and probably not the healthiest, best choice!)

I think we read this as a reading circle...or maybe it was a Rory book. I can't remember it very well but I have others by Borroughs on my wishlist so I must have enjoyed it.

I don't remember if it is a Rory book, but I'm thinking it's not. But I know it was a reading circle book :)

x

I should reread the series sometime, I really love it. Hope it's fun for you :).

I've finished reading:

Charles H. Elliott and Laura L. Smith - Overcoming Anxiety for Dummies (great book)

Barbara Delinsky - The Right Wrong Number (pretty good but short)

Sophie Kinsella - Twenties Girl (this was excellent)

I'm happy you enjoyed Twenties Girl, it's my favorite Kinsella (excluding the Shopaholic series). It was such an unusual setting as a story, and there were some really funny bits in it! :D

Personal book activities: I bought two books :hide:

Edited by frankie

I'm happy you enjoyed Twenties Girl, it's my favorite Kinsella (excluding the Shopaholic series). It was such an unusual setting as a story, and there were some really funny bits in it! :D

I agree, it was quite funny at times :D.

I agree, it would! have you ever read Moloka'i by Alan Brennert? It's also a wonderful read about a lebrecy island in Hawaii. I thought it better than The Island.

Thanks i'll check that one out  :smile:

I'm 120 pages into Bleak House, i like it, but i think it's going to take me till the end of next month to finish it  :giggle2:

I'm still (sorta) reading The Crimson Petal and the White, but the style is really not doing it for me.  I'm about 19% into it.

In-between I'm reading (finally!) Garment of Shadows by Laurie R. King.  It's the last installment of the Mary Russell/S. Holmes series.  I'm enjoying it already at about 35 pages in.  Her depiction of someone with amnesia is startlingly excellent. 

I;ve also started Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor.  One my all time favorites, but haven't read it in, oh at least 30 years.  It still holds up.

I found The Crimson Petal and the White a bit hard going at first too, but in the end it was worth it. I read it on kindle but can't remember where I started getting really interested.

I finished The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult and started Where'd You Go, Bernadette? by Maria Semple

How was The Storyteller? I really want to read it but am trying to wait for the paperback.

I took part in World Book Night today, I gave away 20 copies of The Eyre Affair.

Am almost done with Last Train to Liguria, and I'm happy I persevered. Break the Skin is not going so well though.

I agree, it was quite funny at times :D.

I've also read that book, The Twenties Girl. I loved the twist. And Evanovich's humor is Top!

How was The Storyteller? I really want to read it but am trying to wait for the paperback.

Not her greatest tbh.  I had such high hopes for it too, considering what it was about.  

Page Singer really isn't a likable character, I found her whiny and annoying.  The 'twist' at the end, you can see that one coming long before you're anywhere near the end of the book, and I was kind of annoyed with it.  I will say that I found the Jewish/concentration camp storyline very interesting, as they usually are, and Picoult certainly did her homework on bread baking :/

It seems to me lately that Picoult's views and religion are really quite clear....I know this has always been true with her, but her past few books she really seems to be shoving it down our throats....sometimes I really want to just tell her to hush & write (yes I know, lots of authors work that way, but still) and that's all just  IMO

So don't worry Lucybird, you're not missing out on much at the moment ;)

Finished The Fallen Star by Jessica Sorensen, a pretty good YA read (and FREE!!), I have already downloaded the next in the series (only 66p). Will start Dead Silence by Kimberley Derting this evening, the fourth and final instalment of the Body Finder series, can't wait! :)

Oh it's very harsh, very descriptive, very in-your face, but I thought it was written in such a funny way that I couldn't help but laugh (sometimes out of astonishment). Do you think you'll read anything other by him?

I hope you start feeling better soon! :empathy:

Yes, I think I'll read something else written by him because I really liked Running with Scissors .. any advice, Frankie?

And .. :wub: thank you.

Finished a very average, very short novella which was a Kindle freebie, but very underwhelmed by it, and have now started a good old fashioned classic - The Time Machine by H. G. Wells. :smile2:

Odd, the former is how I would have described The Time Machine!

Yes, I think I'll read something else written by him because I really liked Running with Scissors .. any advice, Frankie?

And .. :wub: thank you.

Oh I think you'll be good to go with anything he's written :smile2: If you want to continue with the autobio way, you could read Dry next. It's about his twenties/thirties and I thought it was a bit more serious but still fun to read. If you think you could handle his stuff without the humourous style, you can continue onto reading Wolf at the Table which is about his Dad. It's creepy but I found it a great book.

He's also written a few books that are more like essay-type writings about things that happen in life and Burroughs's opinions and amusings. You could go with any of them, I've enjoyed all of them. Well the ones I've read so far. These include

Magical Thinking,

Possible Side Effects,

You Better Not Cry: Stories for Christmas,

Take Five: Four Favorite Essays Plus One Never-Been-Seen Essay, and

This Is How: Proven Aid in Overcoming Shyness,Molestation, Fatness, Spinsterhood, Grief, Disease, Lushery, Decrepitude & More. For Young and Old Alike

I would also recommend the one novel he's written so far, called Sellevision.

So um, basically, I would recommend anything you can get your hands on, but then again, I'm a fan :blush:

I can't focus on fiction at the moment, but at least I'm getting some reading done: I'm about 100 pages into All She Ever Wanted, which is a true crime book about Teena Brandon.