Your Book Activity ~ April 2013

I figured seeing as it's now the second day of April (technically) I could go ahead and post this as I can't see it elsewhere.

I've finished Peaches for Monsieur le Curé by Joanne Harris. I've found I'm reading my paperbacks slower now I have a kindle but I still enjoyed it.

What's everyone else reading?

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except you might want to change the year to 2013. ;)

Still on The Rats - about 3/4 through now, so hopefully will finish it tonight. Then I have to look at my reading plan as I've forgotten which books I want to read next. :doh:

Am reading, quite swiftly, Death in Perugia by John Follain, about Meredith, the English girl killed in Italy 6 yrs ago almost. I do not read true crime often, usually only when the outcome of the trial is contentious, as it is , for reasons unknown, here....let`s just say they got the right trio first time..let two of them go....now want them back again!! Justice system.... :blush2:  :o what justice?

And when on my breaks at work I try to read Barnaby Rudge by Charles Dickens.....

Oh Gosh.. we're 4 months into this 2013 already. And this month I'm turning 30! Time seems to be running faster..

Anyway, I got my mojo back and now I'm reading Scarlett Thomas Going out - just published in Italy - and the first book of Katherine Pancol trilogy. Enjoyable.

Oh Gosh.. we're 4 months into this 2013 already. And this month I'm turning 30! Time seems to be running faster..

Anyway, I got my mojo back and now I'm reading Scarlett Thomas Going out - just published in Italy - and the first book of Katherine Pancol trilogy. Enjoyable.

Oooh, is this the trilogy of the sisters, the one with the lovely novel titles? About tortoise and such? I've been trying to find out if anyone on here has read them but so far no luck. I can't wait to see what you think of the books :smile2:

Finished  A Street Cat Named Bob today, it was good but I was a little disappointed that it didn't mention how he came to write the book! 

I remember you talking about this book before and I thought you would know the story behind writing the book. Do you not know it or is it that you wanted to read about it in the book? Anyway, thanks for the heads up :) I must read the book some day!

I'm currently reading Anastasia, Absolutely, and I'm astounded by how I don't remember a single thing about it from the first time I read it. I mean there's a dog in the book, for pete's sake!!

I'm reading a Kindle freebie information book (I think it's self published but so far it's much better than the previous Kindle freebie information book I read) and am not sure yet what physical book I'll read (I want to read a fiction book). I had a lot of fun reorganising my book shelves the past few days and now I'm not sure what to read XD. I own quite a few books that should be quite good.. I'll settle on something eventually :).

Edited by Athena

I remember you talking about this book before and I thought you would know the story behind writing the book. Do you not know it or is it that you wanted to read about it in the book? Anyway, thanks for the heads up :) I must read the book some day!!

I know a little of how it occurred but I was hoping to read it from James's point of view, how he was approached and how he felt his life would change. I'm sure there'll be another book to follow up the story so I'll have to wait for that.. I understand there is a children's book out but I think it'll be too young for my lot. :(

I know a little of how it occurred but I was hoping to read it from James's point of view, how he was approached and how he felt his life would change. I'm sure there'll be another book to follow up the story so I'll have to wait for that.. I understand there is a children's book out but I think it'll be too young for my lot. :(

It sucks when you know something's probably written about in a follow up book, when you were really waiting to read about it in the first book, in the first place! :rolleyes: But you could buy the children's book for yourself, even if your children might be too old for it, there's no one stopping you :giggle::yes:

I was rearranging and sorting out my books yesterday and today I gave away 13 books to new loving homes. It was fun to talk about books with people in real life, for a change :D

It sucks when you know something's probably written about in a follow up book, when you were really waiting to read about it in the first book, in the first place! :rolleyes: But you could buy the children's book for yourself, even if your children might be too old for it, there's no one stopping you :giggle::yes:

I was rearranging and sorting out my books yesterday and today I gave away 13 books to new loving homes. It was fun to talk about books with people in real life, for a change :D

I actually looked at it in Waterstone's today frankie and it was just an abbreviated version of the adult one so no point, my daughter is old/mature enough to read the one we have so I'll just have to keep my eyes open for a new book.. Although he probably has a website... :)

Well done for re homing some more books, were you given any in return?

I had the pleasure of buying 2 books today but they were for my eldest son and daughter so didn't add to my TBR pile! :) :)

Oooh, is this the trilogy of the sisters, the one with the lovely novel titles? About tortoise and such? I've been trying to find out if anyone on here has read them but so far no luck. I can't wait to see what you think of the books :smile2:

Yes It is!! I didn't write the title because it's in italian and you wouldn't understand it. Anyway Frankie, I almost finish the first one.. I will let you know as soon as I finish it, ok?

I actually looked at it in Waterstone's today frankie and it was just an abbreviated version of the adult one so no point, my daughter is old/mature enough to read the one we have so I'll just have to keep my eyes open for a new book.. Although he probably has a website... :)

Ah, well it wouldn't make sense to buy that, then. It's like Marley back in the day, people thought there were two different books but there was only the 'normal' version and then one with pics and a bit abridged. A real shame! :rolleyes:

Well done for re homing some more books, were you given any in return?

No, but I wasn't wanting any, I only wanted to give away some books that I'd either already read or I knew I wouldn't feel like reading anymore. The couple who came in to look at the books and chat did bring me a packet of coffee, though, that was a nice surprise :D

Yes It is!! I didn't write the title because it's in italian and you wouldn't understand it. Anyway Frankie, I almost finish the first one.. I will let you know as soon as I finish it, ok?

Actually I think the books haven't been translated into English, I've only seen Finnish copies of the books. I'm really happy to now know you're reading them, I cannot wait to hear what you thought of the first book when you finish it! :smile2:

It's always nice, when you are feeling a tad melancholy about having to go back to work after four days off, to have a new book land on your desk during the course of the day.

Today that book was: What Do You Care What People Think? by Richard P. Feynman, purchased after The Challenger TV program a few weeks back. 

I may have to put Doctor Who down for this (the book I'm reading, not the actual Timelord . . .).

Have read a few freebie Kindle books over the last week, finishing another one at lunchtime - most of the ones I've read so far have been the first in a series being offered free as an enticement for you to buy the rest from self-published or less well known authors.  One or two I've enjoyed enough to want to read more of the series, so I guess the free offer has served its purpose!  The others haven't been bad, but have lacked something or been a bit confused with story, characters or themes.  It's odd that I rarely use the option to download a sample, yet I've been happy to download free ebooks in order to test a new author. :dunno:

I also listened to the BBC Radio 4 programme Open Book today, which featured Patrick Ness talking about his latest novel aimed at adults instead of the YA market, and it sounds brilliant.  Definitely added to my wishlist for when my spending freeze is over! :D

I also listened to the BBC Radio 4 programme Open Book today, which featured Patrick Ness talking about his latest novel aimed at adults instead of the YA market, and it sounds brilliant.  Definitely added to my wishlist for when my spending freeze is over! :D

I listened to that one as well & i thought it sounded really good but i want to read A Monster Calls & The Knife of Never Letting Go first before i buy anymore of his books. :smile:

Less than 100 pages to go in If Not Now, When? Primo Levi, this has been such a thought provoking read i couldn't sleep last night for thinking about the story & i had to resist going downstairs to finish it  :blush2: It's going to be a hard book to follow.

My TBR pile has too many books to count. At the moment I am reading Pocketful of Names by Joe Coomer. I justed started it today and am already enjoying it. Some books take a long time to get into. This one grabs you right off.

I finished listening to Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone this afternoon.  It's been a long time since I read or listened to it, and I hadn't realised how virtually all of the action of the denouement is contained within a single chapter!  Am also still reading one of my freebie Kindle books, a silly paranormal romcom, but a nice bit of escapism at my desk during my lunch break. :D

Not really read much the past couple of days as been settling in at my Dad's and not really had all that much time to read. But I'm not that far off finishing A Christmas Carol. Then I shall be starting another classic. Unsure which yet, might just wait and see which book pops into the main book slot on the Kobo.

Except you might want to change the year to 2013. ;)

Still on The Rats - about 3/4 through now, so hopefully will finish it tonight. Then I have to look at my reading plan as I've forgotten which books I want to read next. :doh:

Whoops! In my defense it was about 1am

I've started Still Alice- Lisa Genova on paper, and I'm reading The Show- John A Heldt on my kindle as a review request.

I've finished Wolf Hall, and enjoyed it so much I've gone right into Bring Up the Bodies (by Hilary Mantel).

I was eyeing it up in Waterstones & was tempted  but it's a bit pricey at the moment so i'll be interested to her what you think of it.

I just finished If Not Now, When? Primo Levi not sure what my next read is going to be: I shall sleep on it & decide in the morning  :sleeping-smiley-009

I started reading Joe Haldeman - Marsbound 3: Earthbound but am finding it a bit hard to get into the story. I think it might be because it's been some time since I read part one and two of the series and also my mojo has been a bit low lately. I then read and finished Roald Dahl - Matilda, thought I would read something a bit easier on the mind. It was a great book! I read it in Dutch when I was a child and decided to try the English book (see herefor a review). It's such a great story, with beautiful illustrations (by Quentin Blake).

I hope your mojo will get better soon, frankie!

Edited by Athena