Maggie O'Farrell

Michelle

What about you Michelle? What's your favourite?

I was thinking about that, and I can't decide. I have a special love of After You'd Gone because it's the first one I read. Esme I liked because I think it had a clever simplicity to it, despite the style.. if that makes sense? But then, I also really enjoyed The Distance Between Us.

I'm currently just over half way through The Vanishing Acts of Esme Lennox and I only started it yesterday evening (this is really fast for me!).

The only other book of hers that I've read is After You'd Gone which I read quite a few years ago - I can't really remember much about it but I know I really enjoyed it.

I've just bought the Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox but have yet to start it but sounds like a good one. By the sounds of it I should keep my eyes peeled for others by the same author.

I would definately like to read more by her.

I loved the Vanishing Act. I have lent it to my mother in law as she used to work in one of those places years ago (I know I am young but OH is 44 so my mother in law is older than you might think).

I would love to read more by Maggie to see what else she has done.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I've read all of her books and I think my favourite is Esme (for short:D). I thought After You'd Gone was too predictable. The 'shocking thing' the MC saw didn't shock me and I saw it coming a mile off. I don't remember much about My Lover's Lover and The Distance Between Us confused me, with all its jumping about in time. That said, I read it in one sitting and it's probably my second favourite after Esme. God, I felt so sorry for her and angry on her behalf!

I do agree that the shocking event wasn't that shocking, but that was my only disappointment.. I really did enjoy the way it all developed, and came together. My Lover's Lover feels very different from her other books.. I loved the first half, but wasn't so keen overall. The Distance Between Us I also enjoyed.. my brain often has trouble with books that jump around, but for some reason I seem to be able to follow Maggie's!

I think she has a style you'll either enjoy, or not quite get. There's just something about her books that I like reading.. there hasn't been one book I've disliked, and I'm looking forward to the next.

• 4 weeks later...

I got 'After You'd Gone' a while ago off RISI.

When I started to read it, it all felt far too familiar so I flicked through to the end (spoiling it for myself if I haven't read it) and some bits felt familiar and other bits didn't. Anyway, I'm sure I've read it years ago but didn't clock the author and title.

I hate doing that :readingtwo:

Would love to hear what you think when your finished Inver :readingtwo:

'After you'd gone' is the one I am after most, but would love to read anything else by Maggie O'Farrell after enjoying Esme so much.

At the moment I have a self imposed book embargo, no new book purchases as I have am saving for our hols - charity shops, bookrings and library only.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm reading 'After you'd Gone' at the moment and quite enjoying it.

Finished it. What a wonderful, compelling read. Loved the story. Would recommend.

Who wanted to know what I thought of the ending. Somebody asked me in a post and I can't remember who it was!

Edited by Michelle

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I would say in the order that you have them. It was the first that got me interested in her writing, the second is very different (some people aren't keen, but I did like it), then the last one is more like After You'd Gone.

After that lot, read The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox, which I think is her best.

:blush: