Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel

9. In your opinion, did this book deserve the Man Booker Prize? Was it an enjoyable read? Will you be reading the sequel - Bring up the bodies?

I am usually a bit (sometimes quite a lot) underwhelmed by Booker Prize winning books, but I loved Wolf Hall and thought it was a very deserving winner.  It is one of the most enjoyable books I have read - and I have just started the sequel today and am enjoying it just as much so far :)

I see BBC2 is trailing a series called Life and Death in the Tudor Court, so I am looking forward to seeing that and hearing more about characters who have become known to me through Wolf Hall.

And, thanks from me too, Maureen!  :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7. Why does Cromwell dislike the Catholic clergy? What are his motives for helping Henry marry Anne Boleyn and sever ties to the Pope? What larger goals does he hope to achieve in helping? Are they selfless...or selfish?

I'm a bit late replying to these questions i know but i just seem to be have been so busy lately i've only had the time to pop on now & again. I don't have any recollections of Cromwell being strongly opposed to the Catholic clergy but i sgree with Pontalba that he wanted religion to be more open to the masses. I felt that Cromwell's only motives in helping Henry marry Anne were to do the kings bidding & so make sure his own position was secure. Under Henry's reign your only safe as long as you are able to get the king what he wants & Cromwell knows this, a bit like being a football manager i suppose your only as good as your last success  :smile:

8. What are your feelings about Cromwell after having read this book?

I really liked Thomas Cromwell, i knew nothing about him before i read the book but by the time i'd finished it i felt i knew him  intimately. I gather from what i've read since that he's often seen as a bit of a Tudor thug but i thought that Mantel showed that there was much more to him as a person & he was actually quite a compassionate person.

9. In your opinion, did this book deserve the Man Booker Prize? Was it an enjoyable read? Will you be reading the sequel - Bring up the bodies?

Absolutely this deserved to win the Booker, i know it's a bit of a cliche but for me she brought this period of history to life & i now have a new found interest & enthusiasm for finding out more about the Tudors. I've already started reading the sequel Bring Up The Bodies & i'm enjoying it even more than Wolfhall - looking forward to watching all the programmes that are coming on the TV over the next few weeks about the Tudors & i've also bought The Winter King by Thomas Penn.If only history could be have been taught in this way at school i might not have spent so much time staring out the window instead of listening to the lesson.

This has been one of my favourite reading circle books so far & i've enjoyed reading everyone elses thoughts on it too  :smile:

I'm a bit late replying to these questions i know but i just seem to be have been so busy lately i've only had the time to pop on now & again. I don't have any recollections of Cromwell being strongly opposed to the Catholic clergy but i sgree with Pontalba that he wanted religion to be more open to the masses. I felt that Cromwell's only motives in helping Henry marry Anne were to do the kings bidding & so make sure his own position was secure. Under Henry's reign your only safe as long as you are able to get the king what he wants & Cromwell knows this, a bit like being a football manager i suppose your only as good as your last success  :smile:

I really liked Thomas Cromwell, i knew nothing about him before i read the book but by the time i'd finished it i felt i knew him  intimately. I gather from what i've read since that he's often seen as a bit of a Tudor thug but i thought that Mantel showed that there was much more to him as a person & he was actually quite a compassionate person.

Absolutely this deserved to win the Booker, i know it's a bit of a cliche but for me she brought this period of history to life & i now have a new found interest & enthusiasm for finding out more about the Tudors. I've already started reading the sequel Bring Up The Bodies & i'm enjoying it even more than Wolfhall - looking forward to watching all the programmes that are coming on the TV over the next few weeks about the Tudors & i've also bought The Winter King by Thomas Penn.If only history could be have been taught in this way at school i might not have spent so much time staring out the window instead of listening to the lesson.

This has been one of my favourite reading circle books so far & i've enjoyed reading everyone elses thoughts on it too  :smile:

I love the football analogy!  :D

And yes, I believe it certainly applies to anyone in Henry's orbit. 

I also agree that this has been my favorite discussion. :readingtwo:

9. In your opinion, did this book deserve the Man Booker Prize? Was it an enjoyable read? Will you be reading the sequel - Bring up the Bodies?

For me this is one of THE outstanding Booker Prize winners, one of the very few (the only one?) to rival Midnight's Children as the Booker of Bookers.  it currently ranks in my personal top ten: big, meaty, satisfying, completey enthralling, bringing a different perspective to a period of history from the one I've previously held, really making me think again.  It was thus, so much more than just an enjoyable read, but it was certainly that, and I have Bring Up the Bodies on my bookshelf ready to sit down and enjoy this summer when I have time to get properly stuck in.  Looking forward to number three already!