Predilections, Dickens and William Topaz McGonagall.

Drislane

I have a number of preferences when it come to selecting my reading material. I have come to live with mine. :) I would be fascinated to hear of others on here?

One is to be much more excited at the prospect of reading a less acclaimed work from a much lauded author. The recently read 'Ablutions' is a classic example of this! :)

A second is the desire to read at length the generally acknowledged worst exponent of a particular genre of form.

Examples would be the recently topical reading test between Dickens and Bulwer-Lytton, one a titan of literature, the other a much ridiculed peer. My attention was immediately drawn to the work of Bulwer-Lytton! :) Several hours I intend to while away that I will never get back! :)

Another would be some of the great Scottish poets and one William Topaz McGonagall, recognised as probably the worst poet in British history. I should confess at the juncture to holding William in high esteem by virtue of two facts. The first is that he raised awfulness to an art form. Don't snigger. That is more difficult than you might think! The second and perhaps most commendable is that he cared not an iota for anyone's opinion of his own work apart from his good self!

To the second question of the post then. Can anyone point me in the direction of any other glorious examples of awfulness raised to an art form in any particular genre?

Edited by Drislane

• 7 years later...