Good poetry – Simple lines that paint.

Poetry works for me. I am drawn to its shorter form. I like the cut of a good poem. Nice lines, well made, sta prest when you poke it! :).

I smile at words that have been chosen with care by the poet in question yet often have the appearance of being dropped from a great height in some haphazard fashion. The sound of those words when read aloud can often take you around a different corner.

Further, a poem I like most often speaks to me and me alone. A line will often offer up images far beyond the places I can reach. An example of this is from a favourite poem of mine ‘Death of an Irishwoman’ by Michael Hartnett. He is an Irish poet often lost amongst the booming drums of Irish poetry. ‘She was a summer dance at the crossroads, she was a card game where a nose was broken, she was a song that nobody sings.' Simple lines that paint beautifully to my mind someone I struggled for years to describe.

My love note to the poem is qualified however. And this is a point I feel that so often goes amiss when it comes to poetry and obstructs many looking for a way in. I don’t expect to like everything I read. While I read lots of poetry I dislike close to half of everything I read. A large proportion amongst this number sits unfinished in my hands. Of the remaining half perhaps 1 in 10 stays with me in thought for a period in time. Of those I will return to perhaps 1 in 3. The same could never be said for the books I read. Not even close.

A final question if I may? Are there any short lines from any poem that have captured something, anything in your life perfectly?

i thank You God for most this amazing
day:for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky; and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes

~ e.e.cummings

I love the excerpt you've given from 'Death of an Irishwoman'.

‘Leaping greenly spirits of trees and a blue true dream of sky.’ I could have that alone for lunch and not have anything until dinner. :) Thank you for sharing.