Anne Perry - opinions please

I've heard a lot of praise for her work over the years. Last month I finally bought one of her books "The Sunless Sea". I'd be very interested to read people's experiences with this author and/or book.

Admittedly, I started in a train journey riddled with delays and other problems. Maybe that stopped me from getting into it properly. But since then I've been struggling with it for six weeks. A good book should be almost impossible to resist and never takes more than a week to finish, around full-time work. In this case I'm hardly ever tempted to pick it up.

The period setting and the general story seem good enough. But the way it's told just isn't compelling, there are descriptive patches full of sentimental words that add nothing to the course of events.

So, the question is: did anyone else experience this? Or did I just ruin it for myself with the bumpy start?

Thanks for you comments.

I've read 6 or 7 of her books, and finally have decided I don't much care for her writing.  The stories and characters are all good, but there is just something missing.  It's been so long I can't properly articulate my reasoning, but there you are. :)

That's interesting. It essentially sums up my verdict. The components are quite good, but they simply don't add up to something very good. I'm still to finish the one I mentioned. Maybe the ending is worth some of the hard work. But then, books should be enjoyable not hard work.