#1 Chrissy

Chrissy

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,314 posts
  • Reading now?:Yes

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:14 PM

In today's (Friday 22nd March 2013) Guardian newspaper appears an exclusive short story by Neil Gaiman, 'Down To A Sunless Sea'.

I haven't read it myself yet (too tired and bleary eyed at the moment), but am looking forward to doing so over the weekend. :smile:

#2 risingdawn

risingdawn

Mega Bibliophile

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • Reading now?:Angelopolis - Danielle Trussoni
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

I might peruse this at some point this weekend. I've only read his American Gods novel but I loved that. :D

#3 muggle not

muggle not

Addicted!

• Supporter
  • 3,107 posts
  • Reading now?:Birds, Beasts and Relatives - Gerald Durrell
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:00 AM

I might peruse this at some point this weekend. I've only read his American Gods novel but I loved that. :D

Hmmm, American Gods was the novel that I liked the least of his. All of the other books I loved, especially "The Graveyard", it was a great, great, story and the ending had me choked up.

Chrissy - I read the story that you attached, "Down To A Sunless Sea", and it kinda puzzled me a little. Of course at my age many things confuse me. :)

Off-topic - my granddaughter went "punting" in the Thames when she was 16 years old. LOL, I better not tell her how filthy the river is., or maybe she already knows.

#4 poppy

poppy

Far Out

• Advanced Member
  • 4,496 posts
  • Reading now?:Goodnight Mister Tom by Michelle Magorian
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:35 AM

Thanks for sharing that Chrissy. Good short stories are hard to find but I thought he caught the mood of the story very well, Neil Gaiman is always rather dark.

Hmmm, American Gods was the novel that I liked the least of his. All of the other books I loved, especially "The Graveyard", it was a great, great, story and the ending had me choked up.

Still getting there Muggles :blush:

Of course at my age many things confuse me. :)

I've never heard such rubbish!!  :D

Edited by poppy, 23 March 2013 - 08:37 AM.

#5 muggle not

muggle not

Addicted!

• Supporter
  • 3,107 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:38 AM

Thanks for sharing that Chrissy. Good short stories are hard to find but I thought he caught the mood of the story very well, Neil Gaiman is always rather dark.

Still getting there Muggles :blush:

I've never heard such rubbish!!  :D

:P

I think you really don't like A Game of Thrones. Either that or you don't want to read The Graveyard. :)

#6 muggle not

muggle not

Addicted!

• Supporter
  • 3,107 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:41 AM

I neglected to than you Chrissy for posting the short story by Neil Gaiman, an author that I have come to really enjoy, and whose writing I was introduced to by that person fron NZ. I just finished downloading his book "Stardust" which I will start reading tomorrow.

#7 poppy

poppy

Far Out

• Advanced Member
  • 4,496 posts
  • Reading now?:Goodnight Mister Tom by Michelle Magorian
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:16 AM

:P

I think you really don't like A Game of Thrones. Either that or you don't want to read The Graveyard. :)

Wrong ....and wrong!! :D But it IS a long book, I'm halfway through which is the equivilent of a normal size book :P And I'm very much looking forward to The Graveyard, I'm just having a real reading go-slow at the moment.

.....whose writing I was introduced to by THAT person fron NZ.

:giggle2:

Hope you enjoy Stardust, Muggles. It's a delightful story (for some reason I thought you'd read it already ....now who's having confused moments???? )

#8 davidh219

davidh219

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 02 July 2016 - 07:12 AM

This was in his most recent collection Trigger Warning. Wasn't much of a fan of this one. In fact, Trigger Warning was a bit of a disappointment for me in general. Not terrible, but not as good as his previous two collections. I think I gave it a 3/5 on goodreads. 

#9 Older Fish

Older Fish

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Reading now?:No. Just thinking about which book to start on next.
  • LocationStuttgart, Germany

Posted 20 September 2016 - 06:33 PM

Thanks for posting the link. The story is deliciously dark, in true Gaiman style.

I loved American Gods - the first book by Gaiman that I read. The imagery is very powerful. That said, I enjoyed his "lighter" works as well - Stardust and Good Omens (with Terry Prachett).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users