Dan Simmons

New novel The Abominable out this coming October :smile:

Abominable_zpsa7a085e1.jpg

June 1924. On the brutal North East Ridge of Mount Everest, famous adventurers George Mallory and Andrew Irvine vanish into the snow-whipped night.

Daredevil explorer Richard Deacon devises a plan to follow in the men's footsteps, accompanied only by two friends. Off piste and with no support team, the three men strike for Everest's peak and the most vicious climate on earth.

As the winds rise and the temperature and oxygen levels drop, Deacon and his companions hear howls in the distance. Some dark creature is tracking them up the mountain, sending them scrabbling blindly into Everest's dangerous heights to escape it.

Soon they will discover what happened to Mallory's crew - but can they escape the same hideous fate?

A gripping thriller by a master of the genre, The Abominable blends historical fact with spine-tingling drama - this is one of the most chilling and unforgettable novels you will ever read. 

Can.  Not.  Wait.   :exc:  :D

I love his science-fiction books but I haven't yet read any thrillers by Dan Simmons. I'm not really into thrillers much these days though it really depends on what kind of thriller something is. I have to admit the story does sound intruiging.

Yeah, The Terror is a brilliant book.  The blurb for The Abominable makes it sound very similar in some ways - instead of being trapped in the ice being hunted by something, they're stuck on a mountain . . . being hunted by something . . .

I highly recommend Carrion Comfort, too.  It's a very different take on vampires :hide:  :smile:

Yeah, The Terror is a brilliant book.  The blurb for The Abominable makes it sound very similar in some ways - instead of being trapped in the ice being hunted by something, they're stuck on a mountain . . . being hunted by something . . .

I highly recommend Carrion Comfort, too.  It's a very different take on vampires :hide:  :smile:

hmm...what could possibly go wrong on a mountain???

Normally I run the other way from any vampire story, but I'll take your word for it on Carrion Comfort...I'll keep an eye out for it next book sale :D

Normally I run the other way from any vampire story, but I'll take your word for it on Carrion Comfort...I'll keep an eye out for it next book sale :D

They're not your usual vampires, trust me :hide:

From Amazon:

“CARRION COMFORT is one of the three greatest horror novels of the 20th century. Simple as that.” --Stephen King

"Epic in scale and scope but intimately disturbing, CARRION COMFORT spans the ages to rewrite history and tug at the very fabric of reality. A nightmarish chronicle of predator and prey that will shatter your world view forever.  A true classic." --Guillermo del Toro

"CARRION COMFORT is one of the scariest books ever written.  Whenever I get the question asked Who's your favorite author? my answer is always Dan Simmons." --James Rollins

"One of the few major reinventions of the vampire concept, on a par with Jack Finney’s Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Richard Matheson’s I Am Legend, and Stephen King’s Salem’s Lot. --David Morrell

THE PAST...  Caught behind the lines of Hitler’s Final Solution, Saul Laski is one of the multitudes destined to die in the notorious Chelmno extermination camp.  Until he rises to meet his fate and finds himself face to face with an evil far older, and far greater, than the Nazi’s themselves…

THE PRESENT...  Compelled by the encounter to survive at all costs, so begins a journey that for Saul will span decades and cross continents, plunging into the darkest corners of 20th century history to reveal a secret society of beings who may often exist behind the world's most horrible and violent events.  Killing from a distance, and by darkly manipulative proxy, they are people with the psychic ability to 'use' humans: read their minds, subjugate them to their wills, experience through their senses, feed off their emotions, force them to acts of unspeakable aggression.  Each year, three of the most powerful of this hidden order meet to discuss their ongoing campaign of induced bloodshed and deliberate destruction.  But this reunion, something will go terribly wrong. Saul’s quest is about to reach its elusive object, drawing hunter and hunted alike into a struggle that will plumb the depths of mankind’s attraction to violence, and determine the future of the world itself…

:smile:

Posting that blurb has made me really want to re-read it.  It's over 20 years since I read it.  If I wasn't working to a plan it'd go straight to the top of the list :lol:

Weird that I saw this thread, I was just looking at my copies of Illium and Hyperion before I got online....never read them, always meant to. Had a friend who turned me onto them years ago saying they were quite good so I picked them up at a resale shop a while back. Maybe it's time to pick them up!

Weird that I saw this thread, I was just looking at my copies of Illium and Hyperion before I got online....never read them, always meant to. Had a friend who turned me onto them years ago saying they were quite good so I picked them up at a resale shop a while back. Maybe it's time to pick them up!

I struggled a bit with Illium but, now that I've read The Iliad, I might go back and give it another go - I expect I'd get more out of it now :smile:

I'm amazed the thread went this long with no mention of his 'Hyperion Cantos'.  Hyperion's definitely the place to start with Simmons, imo.  One of my all-time favourite SF books  :smile:

Edited by Karsa Orlong

• 4 weeks later...

Picked up Carrion Comfort for a buck at a book sale last week...got a few to read first, but looking forward to this one :D

Having finally got around to reading Hyperion earlier this year, I'm quite keen to read more of his. I didn't actually realise he wrote non-sci-fi stuff as well. These above sound great. I love it when you find a new writer you like, but it does mean the wish list becomes even longer. Sigh. :smile:

• 5 months later...

Dan Simmons The Terrror was an excellent book as was Carrion Comfort. Stephen KIng said he thought Carrion Comfort was one of the three greatest horror novels of the twentieth century. High praise!

Flashback was an excellent book i thought too. Icouldnt get into Black Hills which was a shame. Im looking forward to his new book and will definitely read it.

I want to read Summer of Night too, has any1 read it? Is it any good?

Dan Simmons The Terrror was an excellent book as was Carrion Comfort. Stephen KIng said he thought Carrion Comfort was one of the three greatest horror novels of the twentieth century. High praise!

Flashback was an excellent book i thought too. Icouldnt get into Black Hills which was a shame. Im looking forward to his new book and will definitely read it.

I want to read Summer of Night too, has any1 read it? Is it any good?

Summer of Night was great, as was A Winter Haunting

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Keep thinking about buying The Terror I know I will either love or hate..it is such a long book I believe you will really get into the story and continue reading...or give up exasperated after 100+ pages...ah what to do...