Tips for reading mojo

Athena

With quite a few of us having a low reading mojo (including me), I thought it might be a good idea to share each other's tips on how to combat this. Some people call this being in a reading slump. Whatever your word choice, it's not very nice when this is going on.

For me, I tend to be busy doing other things in my spare time, and while wanting to read I somehow don't get around to doing much reading done. The things I'm talking about (such as browsing social media, watching a dvd or being busy with numbers), are sometimes not things that necessarily need to happen then. So I kind of choose not to read because I don't really feel like it (even though a part of me wants to read). Does it make sense?

Some tips I've thought of or heard from others:

- Reread a book you love

- Read a book you're pretty sure you'll like

- Browse your book shelves (or ereader), for inspiration

- Talk with friends about books

- Read reviews on the forum, websites, or watch a bookrelated YouTube video

- Buy a new (or used, but new to you) book (and give it a go)

- Reorganise your book shelves (this applies less to an ereader I think)

- Take a break from reading for a few days, or however long you think it's necessary. See if you feel more like reading after the break.

- Listen to an audiobook (this isn't useful for me as it'd be way too tiring, but some other people might find it nice)

- Watch a film or tv series based on a book

- Make a short TBR: pick a few books from your shelves that you think you might read in the near future and put them on top of ie. a night stand, a desk, etc.

Hmm well that's all I can think of at the moment, I hope this helps anyone and let me know if you have any tips or thoughts on it.

I would agree with all of your list, and can only think of one other thing to add.....

Don't worry about it!

Over the past few years I have gone for months unable to get into ANY book, be it new and intriguing or an old favourite. As someone who reads for pleasure, for learning, for solace  and for escapism, having no reading mojo is pretty much a nightmare. It feels as though a long term and lovely companion has been torn from me at times. But as my fretting about it didnt help me get back to books I had to become philosophical about it.

I am just coming (quietly and slowly) out of a no mojo spell, and am doing it with a book I dreamt of the other night. The dream had scenes from the book, and my copy the book itself was also in the dream - how weird is that? :blush2:  So I have of course made this my book to read.

Don't worry about it!

x

This tip should be very useful to me as I tend to worry a lot :hide::doh:.

That's very cool, that you dreamed about a book. I hope you enjoy it!

@Raven

Glad to hear that helps for you, I might reread a few books soon too (they are all fantasy novels).

I tend to find my reading mojo goes when I'm reading long and tedious books. I try and perservere but when I'm tired out after it I tend to go for a small easy book or a chick-lit novel that I know will just be for a quick read.

The one that works the best for me is rereading a book I loved. Or if there's a series I haven't finished but so far enjoyed a lot, continue that. Sometimes I read two books at once...one that I love and another one that maybe I like less and would make me lose interest in reading. That way I keep going, because I'm still reading something very enjoyable. 

I would agree with a re-read of a favourite book, and one of my other methods is to go for the next book in one of the series I follow in my "pure escapism" selection, such as a YA or paranormal fantasy book, something I know will be entertaining and light, and will have a bit of humour - I usually find something that makes me smile helps my mojo enormously. :D

The only time I lose my mojo is if I'm reading something that I'm just not enjoying, and the thought of picking it up is a chore. The best solution is to just stop reading it, and pick up something that interests me, or revisit an old favorite.

I tend to find my reading mojo goes when I'm reading long and tedious books. I try and perservere but when I'm tired out after it I tend to go for a small easy book or a chick-lit novel that I know will just be for a quick read.

I have just done that, using a football book as distraction from the sombre and dismal Barnaby Rudge. Will I ever finish it?

• 4 weeks later...

The only other tip I can think of is to try reading a coffee table book that you can just flick through and read whatever takes your fancy or a book of short stories, the kind you can finish in a couple of hours so you're not tied up in a full length novel.

I definitely hate it when my mojo decides to leave my presence. Mostly, it seems to be a book doesn't call to me. My mood is so touchy that I can't figure out which genre I actually would like to read. Luckily for me it doesn't last too long. I like the tips though. And I love the fact that Chrissy actually drempt about a book and then picked it up to read it. That's what I call a book ACTUALLY calling to you....