Tudor History

I hardly ever read any non-fiction, but reading both Wolf Hall and The Other Boleyn Girl has sparked my interest in that period of time.  Does anyone have any recommendations on history books on that era?  I have A Man of Singular Virtue (about Thomas More) which I hope to read next, but any other suggestions would be very welcome.  :)

I haven't read this one, so I can't recommend it as such, but I love Peter Ackroyd as a writer and if I was looking for something in this area, I'd try his book Tudors: A History of England Volume II

Thanks chesil, I don't think I have read any Peter Ackroyd, but everything I hear about him is good; I will put it on my wishlist :)

I read some books on Tudor history not too long ago, and in my hunt to find out more I used good old google and came across this very good blog. 

http://literatehousewife.com/2007/08/philippa-gregory-in-chronological-order/

It should give you all the information you need on the subject!

/Chryssie

I read some books on Tudor history not too long ago, and in my hunt to find out more I used good old google and came across this very good blog. 

http://literatehousewife.com/2007/08/philippa-gregory-in-chronological-order/

It should give you all the information you need on the subject!

/Chryssie

Thanks Chryssie, that's a great link, I will definitely be using that!  :)

What about Philippa Gregory's books?  She has scads on the Boleyn family.  I've read some, and they are pretty good.  Fiction though.

Although I originally asked about non-fiction books, I will definitely read more Philippa Gregory books set around that time - I did enjoy The Other Boleyn Girl very much.  Good to know you enjoyed some of the others too, pontalba, as sometimes others in a series can prove disappointing! :)

Good idea, Ooshie.  I've read a reasonable amount of fiction based in this era but no non-fiction.  Alison Weir's The Six Wives of Henry VIII will probably be my starting point.  She also writes fiction set in Tudor times, I believe.

Good idea, Ooshie.  I've read a reasonable amount of fiction based in this era but no non-fiction.  Alison Weir's The Six Wives of Henry VIII will probably be my starting point.  She also writes fiction set in Tudor times, I believe.

Thanks Steve, that looks a great book.  :)  Getting a bit off topic, what was your favourite Tudor era fiction?

Getting a bit off topic, what was your favourite Tudor era fiction?

I like the murder/mystery books that weave in and around real historical events, so I've enjoyed Rory Clements, Phil Rickman and C. J. Sansom the most.  Just started on S. J. Parris's series as well :smile:

I like the murder/mystery books that weave in and around real historical events, so I've enjoyed Rory Clements, Phil Rickman and C. J. Sansom the most.  Just started on S. J. Parris's series as well :smile:

Ah yes, C J Sansom, I think every time I see any of their books reviewed I think "must get that" but I haven't as yet!  I can see this interest in the Tudors may well prove to be expensive if it keeps up :D