Turned Out Nice Again . . .

Raven

I thought we had a dedicated weather thread, but I can't seem to find one . . .

Anyway, I've never really seen this before, but it's "icing" here.  It's too hard for snow and sleet, but too small for hail, so I'm declaring this "icing".

Combined with high winds and freezing temperatures it was a thoroughly unpleasant walk into work and it looks like we're set for this for the day. 

Still, if you can believe the shamans at the MET Office, we should have a nice clear day tomorrow to make up for it . . .

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Icing....Mmmm....cakes and buns with fondant icing.

Thanks Raven, the thought of icing has cheered me up no end! :D

We've just got the soft and sort-of settling snow, and the high winds. I have spent the morning muttering about how draughty our house is. :blush2:

It was pretty gorgeous for a few days, but now it's rained all night, and is forecast to keep it up all day....also thunderstorms threatened.  Warmish in the day, but down to 36F tonight.  Gak.

We've just had red hot sunshine, a blizzard, sunshine again, and now a steady trickle of light snow.. all in the space of ten minutes.

Typical.

Would you call freezing rain 'icing?'  What you described makes me think of that.

We've not seen the sun here since Friday and it's been rainy and cloudy since then.  I'll take it though because at least it's not cold enough to snow!  It has been and will be in the high 30s, which is nice for a change. Spring is getting closer and closer!! :D

My poor hubby left work at 4 o'clock this afternoon. It's just gone half past 8 in the evening, and he still isn't home - the distance? 62 miles! :(

There have been accidents and idiots on the roads unforntunately, and the snow that wasn't settling that much earlier today has been settling heavily since about 5 o'clock. *sigh* It doesn't look good for tomorrow as the temps are supposed to sink tonight too.

Oh no Chrissy! :o I hope he is home safe and sound by now :hug:

It's just coming up to 11 pm, and he still hasn't made it home. He is only a few miles away, but traffic is at a standstill both ways. I am sitting here fretting away - I am just hoping upon hope that he will get back here soon. 7 hours, for a journey that takes (at it's worst) 2 hours.

It's just coming up to 11 pm, and he still hasn't made it home. He is only a few miles away, but traffic is at a standstill both ways. I am sitting here fretting away - I am just hoping upon hope that he will get back here soon. 7 hours, for a journey that takes (at it's worst) 2 hours.

Oh Chrissy, that's awful, poor guy. I hope he doesn't have to do it all again tomorrow :icon_eek:

Still no sign of hubby - 8 long hours he has been travelling. Trafiic reports say that he and many many others are at a standstill - STILL! I spoke to him a minute ago, and if (a fairly big IF) he can keep traction enough to get up the next slope in the road he should get onto a local bit of road that isn't as exposed. I don't want to contemplate just yet any alternatives that may have to take place. 

We really didn't expect it to be so bad. The weather reports indicated that we would have a little snow but the wind would be the chiliest problem. Until 5 ish that was true, then it turned nasty out there.

Poppy, I reckon that if everyone in NZ and Oz flapped their arms in our direction some of the warmth might just make it's way here. :yes:  

Well, 10 hours - yes TEN hours after he left work to head home, my poor husband has just arrived home. A quick cup of tea and then we are heading to bed. The police had to help (by a combination of pushing and towing) the motorists stranded on the stretch of road he was on.

He plans on working from home tomorrow! lol

Glad to hear Mr. Chrissy got home okay!

The walk into work this morning was not fun at all, nearly fell flat on my arse whilst crossing a road which looked clear.  Paradoxically, it actually seemed safer to walk on the white areas of the pavement than the clear ones . . .