What I read in 2013

Cumberbabe

I know I'm pretty new (ok, really new), but I quite liked this idea. I already keep a personal log of what I've read, but I loved reading your reviews and decided to share my reading!

So far in 2013:

The Fault in our Stars by John Green

Rating: 7/10 would recommend

Favourite quote(s): 'I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once'

'All representations of a thing are inherently abstract'

'My thoughts are stars I can't fathom into constellations'

My thoughts: I honestly felt like setting myself on fire after reading this. I enjoyed it, but it was sad and had a shock ending (well, I didn't see it coming). Warnings for child cancer triggers.

Wonder by R.J Palacio

Rating: 6/10

Favourite Quote(s): 'I like how words you don't understand explain things you can't understand'

'It's not a contest about whose days suck the most. The point is we all have to put up with the bad days'

My thoughts: it seemed like Oscar bait to me. It's about a child who has a deformed face going to school for the first time and the reactions of the people around him. I enjoyed reading it, but it's not ever going to get read again.

Heroes of Olympus: The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan

Rating: 5/10

Favourite quote(s): n/a

My thoughts: well, I love Percy Jackson and always find it entertaining. This one was no less entertaining than the others and I'm looking forward to the next instalment. But you can so tell that these books are written for Tweens.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Rating: 8/10 would recommend

Favourite Quote(s): 'we accept the love we think we deserve'

'And in that moment, I swear we were infinite'

My thoughts: a book that I have had on my reading list for some time, but never got to. I'm glad I did, because I really did enjoy it. The main character, Charlie, made me really angry for some reason I can't really explain. In a weird sort of way, the novel was about nothing, but at the same time about something very important. Idk if that made sense, I'm tired.

Currently making my way through The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams.

Oh! And Pat Barker's regeneration trilogy, which is what my dissertation is about :)

Reading list (at the moment)

Cloud Atlas

Life of Pi

Surfacing

Alias Grace

Anna Karenina

The Long Song

Midnight's Children

Alice in Wonderland

The Great Gatsby

Huckleberry Finn

Treasure Island

Oliver Twist

The Woman in White

Mansfield Park

Emma

The Hobbit

The Lord of the Rings trilogy

A Song of Ice and Fire

Edited by Cumberbabe

Fault In Our Stars! I just read that last month before I went to TFIOS Live in Dublin! Did you catch any of the England shows? ARE YOU A NERDFIGHTER? Also recently read Perks, very good book, loved the movie too.

Sorry if I'm coming on strong here, but you seem kinda cool. :P

Fault In Our Stars! I just read that last month before I went to TFIOS Live in Dublin! Did you catch any of the England shows? ARE YOU A NERDFIGHTER? Also recently read Perks, very good book, loved the movie too.

Sorry if I'm coming on strong here, but you seem kinda cool. :P

Oh that's so cool! I'm on the brink of slipping into nerdfighterdom lol. I've always loved John and Hank, and started watching them ages ago, but I kind of lost interest in YouTube and haven't watched anything in about 2 years! I'm making my way back though, one vlog at a time.

Oh you've got some good things on your lst. Life of Pi, Midnight's Children, The Hobbit.

Well, Midnight's Children is a re-read, but I agree, it's very good.

The hobbit and LotR is something that I've always wanted to read and I finally got round to buying them with my Christmas waterstones vouchers lol

Hi Cumberbabe , lots of good books on your list . I'm reading Cloud Atlas at the moment so look forward to hearing your thoughts on it when you get round to reading it  :smile: