How to enjoy reading books?

Hey, when i was back in elementary school and middle school, i was taught to read fast and try to finish the books quickly in order to answer questions or write reports. I never enjoyed it and sometimes my mom used it as punishment when I did something bad. I really want to start reading books for fun and to learn something, because as of now, I think the video games I play are just a pure waste of time, and the t.v. shows i watch go with it. I do like reading interesting articles online, but for some reason, the message just doesn't stick into my head and I forget by the next day. And sometimes, I hate reading because it can get boring, it can take weeks to finish a book, and it makes me feel like a loser for some reason (which i know it isn't true, but the feeling pops up anyways). TBH, as a college freshman, I'm just a video game addict who covers up this time waster by playing sports, but really, I don't gain much from playing trivial games, and I just want to learn how to enjoy a good book and at least remember what I read and try to apply the morals or lessons that I've learned into my life...A thoughtful, supportive, and motivating answer would be appreciated. Thanks.

It is such a difficult thing to help someone with, as we all find our own paths to reading, to genres and to authors. I read (when I do) for such many and varied reasons, and what appeals to me at any given time also varies.

All I can advise truly is that you keep on reading anything that appeals to you. It will eventually 'stick', and you will develop you own preferences and modes of reading. A good starting point might be to consider what type of films you enjoy, and indeed what kind of video game, as they could both help you find a genre to delve into.

For example, if you enjoy strategy games, a book that encompasses battles (the Romans, civil war, Waterloo etc) might be a a way to go. If you are a shoot-em-up player, maybe fiction or non fiction books such as 'Band Of Brothers' type reads, or the genre that contains Special Forces type stories. Again, the type of playing that needs you to delve and explore for clues / gadgets etc might lead you to detective stories or mysteries.

Lastly, if you join your local library you can be doing as much exploring through books as you like without it costing you anything, and most library workers are also keen readers and they can point you in different reading directions. And the forum is always here with recommendations, and we will want to hear about the books you ave read too! :smile:

Chrissy's advice (as always) is on the money. Maybe you could try the book of a film you've loved?

I'd also maybe go for some novellas (I'd recommend some classics such as 'Of Mice and Men' or 'Animal Farm') or some short stories, since you say you struggle with the time it takes to finish something.

I definitely recommend hanging round on the forum for a while as it's a great place to pick up recommendations.

It's so great to see a post like yours creedxx1 :) Good luck and do keep us posted with your progress.

Right. From my point of view. Books are EXACTLY like videogames. (that is, if you like fiction). They are means of escapism  They provide another temporary reality where you can laugh and cry with someones else's stories. The real difference is that videogames are bit more interactive and provide you with a visual and kickass soundtrack and a way of keeping score but, more often then not, lack an actually good storyline. The amount of info they throw at you will cancel out a lot of the imagination needed to read a good book. If you like games who are good because of their story line rather then their graphics (like a LOT of japanese RPGs but also games like The Witcher or Assassins Creed) you will find surely find books that, in one way or another, float your boat. If you are more into FPS you might find it a bit harder to find something you like but even then I imagine there is something out there. Gunslinger books enough, but then again, no personal highscore. If you are more into the MMORGPs well, then you are a lost case but then I do not want to hear you complaining about tediousness either :P Just,... GRIND yourself through them :P Luck for all the gamers is that most of the new books follow the same gritter/darker/faster trend that games have been following the last 10 or so years ^.^ So if you are interested in that bit of gaming then there is more then enough to read ^.^

Perhaps graphic novels might be a place to start? I guess it's almost a halfway house between films/ videogames and full text books. There are some excellent ones out there.

I'm sorry, op, but no one can teach you how to enjoy reading.

You either connect with a book or you don't. It's a matter of simply persevering and finding one that you're interested in. There are some great recommendations on this site though! Think about what you're interested in, or what genre grabs your attention most and check out the sub forum for it and see if there's anything that grabs your interest.

Also, don't think of reading as a chore. It's meant to be something fun, something to escape to.

I both enjoy gaming and reading. Perhaps try many of the game related novels out there? Battlefield, metro (books that became games), assassins creed has a few novels, hitman, oblivion, ICO..... the list just goes on and on.

Games are really just an interactive form of story telling. I was taught about how to write the hero's journey and what not during my games developmet course.

I was in a similar position a few years ago, creedxx1.  I was spending a lot of my spare time playing video games, and I went for years when I barely read anything.  Then I was in Waterstone's with a friend and saw a book which intrigued me and that sparked my enthusiasm and I started reading so much that I've barely played any video games since.  I just needed to find that one book that really stoked my imagination :smile:

How about a book that's actually about someone who plays video games:  Ready Player One by Ernest Cline? :smile:

Edited by Karsa Orlong

The rest of the posters have already given some nice advice, I'm not sure I have a lot to add. I enjoy gaming too, though due to my disability I can't play video games that much. I especially love the story in video games, that's why I mainly like to play games with a nice story (ie. RPGs). I've loved reading for a long time, my love for video games didn't start until a little bit later, when I was about 8-9 I think, and we got a console and a computer (I can't remember which one we got first, probably the console). There are many great books but you have to find one that you'll like. If possible you could read excerpts from the first bit of books, before you buy them (ie. on Amazon or on the author's site they sometimes give you the opportunity to read some pages of the book). Books based on video games, would be one idea to start with. What kind of stories do you like, in video games? Ie. if you like fantasy stories, you'll know to look for books in that genre (and likewise for science-fiction, contemporary, historical, thrillers, etc).

I both enjoy gaming and reading. Perhaps try many of the game related novels out there? Battlefield, metro (books that became games), assassins creed has a few novels, hitman, oblivion, ICO..... the list just goes on and on.

Games are really just an interactive form of story telling. I was taught about how to write the hero's journey and what not during my games developmet course.

The AC novels are said to be several kinds of awful though ^.^

I am very critical of the way in which reading is taught in schools as always being part of a comprehensive exercise - read the questions, read the passage and then read the questions again.  Reading becomes a box ticking exercise for the syllabus and books are chosen according to lack of resources and how much previous notes the teacher already has as opposed to books that have the ability to engage and transform the world of the student.  It was only in reading myself outside of school that I came to love reading and I never adhered to the rules established in schools. 

You should identify a few good authors, particularly series, and what interests you and find a book relating to that theme.  Avoid the canon, simply as they are recommended reads by some faceless survey. 

I always chose my books pending on what i want to read and apart from that the blurb at the back and the front page.  The front page especially, i have randomly picked up books and read the first page not intending to buy and have to just buy that book and continue reading as soon as get back home.

• 3 weeks later...

I have always been a reader. I escaped into the world of my imagination, finding new friends in the characters in the many books I devoured. I read according to my mood. Which is why I don't always read the many books in my book case. That special book is sometimes the one that I just came across in the bookstore/webstore. That special book that just dares you to read it. All of the advice given is good advice. It's up to you, I fear, to find that special book that just dares you to read it. Maybe a trip to a second-hand book store, just sitting and reading passages/blurps of the many books will get you connected with that special one. Good luck.

• 1 year later...