Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn

Star

'What are you thinking, Amy?' The question I've asked most often during our
marriage, if not out loud, if not to the person who could answer. I suppose
these questions stormcloud over every marriage: 'What are you thinking? How are
you feeling? Who are you? What have we done to each other? What will we do?'
Just how well can you ever know the person you love? This is the question that
Nick Dunne must ask himself on the morning of his fifth wedding anniversary when
his wife Amy suddenly disappears. The police immediately suspect Nick. Amy's
friends reveal that she was afraid of him, that she kept secrets from him. He
swears it isn't true. A police examination of his computer shows strange
searches. He says they aren't his. And then there are the persistent calls on
his mobile phone. So what really did happen to Nick's beautiful wife? And what
was in that half-wrapped box left so casually on their marital bed? In this
novel, marriage truly is the art of war...

This is a very popular book at the moment and even Richard and Judy are recommending it.

Anyone else read it??

Am I the only person who didn't really enjoy it? Please say I'm not.
I thought it was going to be amazing and this twist that everyone it going on about. What twist exactly? Did I miss something because I wasn't wowed by a big twist.

Oh and the ending I need to discuss the ending with someone!!! :doh:

• 2 weeks later...

I have read it and enjoyed the writing style of present and past and written from different perspectives to give you build up to the character being gone and then what happens next. I won't say much else but I have lent the book to a friend and really wish she would finish it so I can discuss the ending!!! I would say worth a read

• 3 weeks later...

In my TBR pile. Waiting for it to be released in Swedish. Taking forever. 
I love the tv-series Revenge, and I hear that if you love Revenge, you will love this book. So I am interested to see what the fuss is about. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've read it, and I really liked it!

Guess I will have to read Gone Girl. I will request it from the library after i am about half way finished with Memory of Light, which I have just started, by Robert Jordan.

On the other hand I see where James Lee Burke has a new book out so I may have to postpone Gone Girl until I obtain and read Burke's newest. :)

Edited by muggle not

I think I have one or two JLB, but have yet to read any of his....yet :/

Which book(s) do you have. I think you will like his writing. His Dave Robicheaux series is really good. You will like the sidekick, Clete, of Dave Robicheaux.

• 3 months later...

I've just finished this and loved it. I really couldn't put it down after the initial chapters.

The first section really had me wondering whether

Nick was guilty because of what Amy is writing in her diary, but then when Amy's true self is revealed...from then on, it was just impossible to put down. I thought her psychotic, sociopathic personality was captured brilliantly in the little asides she would make, though perhaps she came across as a bit too clever when she got herself pregnant. That ending bummed me out a bit; I would have really liked for her to get her comeuppance and for Nick to move on, rather than being trapped under her control.

Still, thought it was a brilliant read - one of the best for this year.

This one seems to have very mixed reviews - I struggled to decide how I felt, I'm glad I finished it, but there was a lot which annoyed me. And I was rather let down by the ending, but kinda felt they deserved each other.

By the way, The Silent Wife is being promoted as the new Gone Girl.. Ben reviewed it here.. http://bcfreviews.wordpress.com/2013/06/24/early-review-the-silent-wife-by-a-s-a-harrison/

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya, I read this with my book group. I was disappointed and think it's overrated. There are better books out there. I didn't care about the main characters the only one I liked was his sister.

I agree with you! I didn't like the two main characters at all and really didn't care what happened to either of them, though I did like Go's character . I thought the ending was a major let down too.

I didn't care for Go, and I didn't really like Amy & Nick either....but then again I'm not convinced we were really supposed to like/sympathize with any of them. 

I'm reading it now, and can't say I like any of the characters!   Agreed, we're not supposed to like them.  But it is interesting.  Lots of directions it can go in at this point!

It seems that the majority of reviews I've read (this forum not included) people were very p.o'ed at the ending.  

I think a lot of people really wanted to see Nick and/or Amy get their comeuppance

I myself couldn't really see it going in any other direction.  It certainly satisfied me.

It seems that the majority of reviews I've read (this forum not included) people were very p.o'ed at the ending.  

I think a lot of people really wanted to see Nick and/or Amy get their comeuppance

I myself couldn't really see it going in any other direction.  It certainly satisfied me.

I think you're right, but it was more of a real life ending IMO.  Or, actually, come to think of it........a true Hitchcock ending. :) 

You know, Alfred Hitchcock used to have a television series that had some delicious twisty stories. Quite good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I've just finished reading it and I thought it was O.K. I certainly see what most of you mean about it being overrated. There were no huge shocks.

One thing that disappointed me a little was that I found myself getting lost in Flynn's descriptions of virtually everything, some taking up almost two pages of not so vital information that veered away from the actual story. The ending, as a lot of you agree, was a let down and looked very rushed.

It's not bad, this is the second thriller novel I have read after Girl on the train and gone girl definitely comes second.

I think this is one of the most over-rated books I've ever read, I suspected what the twist was about halfway through, and once I was proven right it lost a lot of it's suspense.  I think you are meant to hate both Amy and Nick, but it got to the point where they were both so unlikeable that they were unconvincing characters.

I avoid any book now which has a tagline comparing it to Gone Girl! :P

• 2 years later...

When I first saw the poster of Gone Girl's film adaptation I thought it's something romantic-drama the same as Nicholas Sparks novel. I really have no idea so I watched the movie first and I was actually mind-blown then I read the novel that I got hooked. After that, I read other works from Gillian Flynn including Sharp Objects and Dark Places.