Annual book sales

emelee

Curious to know if this is a thing in other countries. At least in Sweden, there is a huge annual book sale all over the country that begins at the end of February each year. A large number of titles are on sale in pretty much all stores that sell books. The book sale (bokrea) begins Tuesday at 07.00. Can't wait!! :)

Does this occur in other countries as well?

Bokrea_2013.jpg

Not that I know of. Our main chain is Waterstones and they quite often have 'buy one get one half price' deals on the go a lot of the time. Plus our supermarkets are always selling books at more than half price too.

Not that I know of. Our main chain is Waterstones and they quite often have 'buy one get one half price' deals on the go a lot of the time. Plus our supermarkets are always selling books at more than half price too.

Ditto. Waterstones always have BOGOF or buy one and get the second for a penny. They never really stop them. Would be great if we had one of them. I would absolutely love it.

Apparently the annual national book sale in Sweden began in the 1920s and it was a way to get older books sold so the wouldn't stock up in some warehouse. It was evolved ever since then. Now there are hundreds of titles in the sale, and the titles are both old and new releases.

In Sweden we also have deals like buy 2 for 1 and sales within certain book chains etc. The difference with the annual book sale is that ALL chains and stores that sell books are part of it, with same rules etc. No one is allowed to cheat, like begin the sale one day early. All to create a bigger buzz.

• 2 weeks later...