Sony PS4

risingdawn

Last night was the PlayStation Live Meeting on YouTube and announced the release of the Sony PS4 around Winter time. I didn't see most of the video but saw a couple of snippets and it looked quite good. Blizzard Entertainment themselves have even teamed up with Sony to release Diablo onto the PS4, as well as the PS3.

I understand this may not appeal to everyone but what do you guys think about the new generation of PS4? I've put a link to the news story about it on the BBC for those who may not know anything about it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21526450

I'm personally not in a rush to go out and get it, since I hardly play any (console) games these days (due to my tiredness), but I know my boyfriend is mostly likely very interested. I'm of course intrigued to hear more about it. The controller looks allright.

It's a shame about the backwards compatibility, I mean I was kind of expecting it not to be backwards compatible, but it's still a shame.

Yeah, that would've been helpful but I guess it can't be helped. I think we're planning on getting one. My boyfriend watched the whole thing last night and now wants that over a 3DS (understandable). I'm really looking forward to the game Watchdogs. It's like a mix between GTA and Assassins Creed. Looks so amazing. We'll probably lose all our game data anyway as we only have an Xbox 360 at the moment. I want to hear what Microsoft are planning on bringing for this new generation of gaming. Not heard much from them but there's speculation of the Xbox 720 (ironic much?!).

I have a PS3 that I have hardly ever used (no time to play games!) I think I should try to sell it while it's still worth something.

I've heard a lot of mocking about the two-hour announcement, in which the PS4 wasn't shown, and the price and release details weren't divulged. Haha. :)

Yeah. There are no prices or images yet. But I think it's going to be priced between £200-£300, so the amount new consoles tend to cost. It was mainly talking about the range of games coming to the new console and what it will be capable of.

I can't afford one, and don't have a PS3 either as I simply cannot afford to start with a blank gaming slate everytime a new one of these things comes out. Lack of backwards compatibility is dealbreaker for me - I have a PS2, and it plays all my favourite PS1 and Ps2 games. PS2 was a huge success in terms of good games and second only to PS1 in terms of the best JRPG titles (my favourite type of game). Those types of games are becoming more and more rare, and while there are some very good games on PS3 (as I'm sure there will be on PS4) - the cost of buying the consoles plus all the games is just too much. (If I could buy a PS4 and have it play both PS3 and PS4 - buy one console every two or three generations, essentially - then it would be much more feasible.)

As it is, my brother and parents both have PS3s so it's not entirely impossible for me to gain access to one, but really there hasn't been much in recent years that has caught my interest on those consoles.

I talked with my boyfriend about the PS4 and he says he's not in a rush to get one, unless it comes with a launch title he's really interested in etc. The PS4 doesn't bring much new to the table (so to speak) just yet, we'll have to wait until we hear more, perhaps at E3.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...