Christopher Brookmyre

Kell

Has anyone else read any of Brookmyre's stuff? He's a Scottish writer & his books are predominently set in Scotland (mostly in Glasgow) but they're not your usual twee Jock-speak countryside stuff. Nope, you get hard, fast-paced action, crime sprees & a liberal dose of his comedic flair.

I'm lucky enough to have all his books on my shelf & they are regularly re-read. I even have a couple of them signed (due to the thoughtfulness of my lovely hubby who tends to get them done for my birthday & Xmas prezzies).

Just wondered if anyone else here is a fan?

• 2 months later...

I'm a fan.

He is very good. His books have the best titles. My favourite one is ' a big boy did it and ran away'. I'm sure many a Scots kid can remember telling that little fib to their parents at some time or another.

It is hard to decsribe his stories though. They are funny, but also quite serious. People do get killed. You really all should get hold of one of his books and give him a try - expecially if you are a fan of Carl Hiaasen - the american Brookmyre.

Oh, I'm a huge fan - I've got all Brookmyre's books, mostly in hardback & some of them autographed (he used to live here in Aberdeen). Nice to see a fellow fan here! I think my fave to date is The Sacred Art of Stealing - an absolute work of art in itself. Which is your fave?

Actually Sacred Art of Stealing was the first one f his books I read. A chap I know kept banging on about him so I decided to read on of his books and I borrowed SAOS. And then I was hooked.

I've been hunting down his books one by one since. I've got three to go - all ready on the bookshelf - just gotta finish Insomnia by Stephen King first.

The 1st one I read was Not the End of the World. After that, I worked my way through all the others in the order they were published & I can't get enough of them! Can hardly wait for the next one. I'm really hoping there'll be one out later this year!

• 3 weeks later...

If you want to read the stories featuring Jack Parlabane, you should read them in this order:

Quite ugly One Morning

Country of the Blind

Boiling a Frog

Be My Enemy

The others are all on-offs, but a couple of them feature recurring characters, so you should probably read them in this order:

Not the End of the World

On Fine Day in the Middle of the Night

A Big Boy Did it & Ran Away

The Sacred Art of Stealing

All Fun & Games Until Somebody Loses an Eye

They're all excellent, but my absolute favourite to date has been the Sacred Art of Stealing. :reading:

• 2 years later...

Ha!!! So cool to stumble on this thread! ... I read Quite Ugly One Morning a couple of years ago and loved it! I don't know why though, I'd never thought of looking to see if the author had written anything else, I guess it felt quite stand alone to me. Then yesterday I popped into an Oxfam bookshop and found two books with similar covers to Quite Ugly and realised they were by the same guy! So I bought them, for 59p each I might add!! (Dalston Oxfam is a great find!).

On my way home I started reading the Sacred art of stealing and am really enjoying it; the other book I picked up was 'all fun and games until somebody loses an eye'.

I was trying to describe his work to a friend last night and I couldn't bring myself to recommend them; not because I don't think he is great (I loved Quite Ugly), but because a lot of the content is quite disturbingly gruesome - it's such dark comedy I imagine it isn't for everyone. I'm so pleased you love him Kell, it makes me feel better about enjoying him - if that makes sense!

You guys might be interested in the article I wrote about Christopher Brookmyre's books HERE. It gives some idea of a good order to read them as some are sequential, whereas others are stand-alone.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been trying to read Attack of the Unsinkable Rubber Ducks for the last few nights but have had to admit defeat. Persevered to page 185 but its just not going in - I am skimming rather than reading so have decided to pause it for now.

I picked this book up in the library - the subject matter (psychics/ spiritualists) isn't one I am interested in but I really wanted to try Brookmyre. Part of the problem was the fact the book was large print, which for some reason I found really off putting.

After researching some reviews I will definitely try another of Brookmyres books as this doesnt seem to be his usual style or one of his best books. Would be interested to hear any other opinions.

I am so disappointed I havent finished it - hate giving up on a book!

Kx

Try starting at the beginning or reading one of the stand-alones - his style can take a little getting used to (unless you're already into that kind of style) but I've not read a bad one yet. I've not yet started Rubber Ducks although I have it very near the top of Mount TBR.

I've only ever read his first book, when it was published years ago. The only thing I remember about it was the turd on the mantelpiece. What that says about his writing I don't know...

The Sacred Art of Stealing is my favourite to date, but although it's technically a stand-alone, Angelique first appeared in A Big Boy Did it and Ran Away which is also brilliant and worth a read if you haven't already given it a try. :)