Korenith

This is a question for all the people who read Iain M. Banks. I'm currently writing a "Getting Into" article for my blog on him that gives people a place to start getting into his work and then a few ideas on where to go afterwards. The question is Where did you start? And which of his books do you think works as the best introduction?

Sci-fi only please since I've already done a "Getting Into" for his mainstream work.

I started with Consider Phlebas. I've also read The Player of Games and Use of Weapons. I enjoyed The Player of Games the most, and Consider Phlebas the least. I enjoyed it still though (****, 4/5 rating), enough to buy more of this work. I'm not sure which one of those three would be the best to start with, to be honest. I think Consider Phlebas, while it's not the best I did find it introduced the world (well, planets) of the story. The Player of Games would be good too, I think Use of Weapons didn't explain as much though.

I read his Culture books in publication order.

I've recommended The Player of Games as a good starting point for people in the past; I certainly think it is his most accessible science fiction novel (that I have read, anyway).

Reading them, as I did, in publication order would be my alternate suggestion. 

Most of his Culture novels can be read as standalone stories, but if you start with something like Excession or Look to Windward (the bleakest book I've ever read, btw) I'd imagine you wouldn't get the most out of them.

Yeah, I'd start with The Player of Games, too.  I started with Consider Phlebas and it really isn't very good, imo.  My favourites - of those I've read to date - are both non-Culture, though:  Feersum Endjinn and The Algebraist.

So general consensus is Player of Games is a good start point. I think I agree since some of his later ones can get a bit heavy on the technology side of things which for Sci-fi newbies might get boring. I want to say Consider Phlebas but as Karsa and Athena both said, it's one of his weaker ones so might put people off.

Use of Weapons and Surface Detail are my other two favourites. I think UoW is a good follow up/digging deeper book if somebody liked the first one and then SD and Feersum Endjinn as ones for people who really get into his style because whilst they are harder reads they are also really good.

I quite like Consider Phlebas, but it's a sprawling book (that feels more like three books printed in one volume) and it's an odd one from a Culture point of view because it's told through the eyes of the enemy (as it were).

My point about the later books isn't really that they are science fiction heavy, it's that I think you get more out of them if you already have knowledge of The Culture and how it works.  I think Excession would be a real wtf?! read if you didn't already know something about the ships, for example. 

My favourite Culture novels would have to be The Player of Games, Use of Weapons and Matter, but I also really like the short story The State of the Art.

I've never read his books. Are they worth reading? What are his novels generally about?

They are Sci-fi set in a techno-utopia for the most part and they deal with how The Culture (the utopians) react and deal with other societies with different views from their own. They tend to be about things like human rights and what it means to be human but they have a fair bit of action in some places and lots of speculation about what new technology might ultimately be used for. If that sounds like your kind of thing then Player of Games seems to be what most people recommend as a start point. They are all set in the same universe but there is almost no character or story overlap bar the odd few mentions here and there so you can read them in whatever order you like (with the exception of Surface Detail which has a direct link to Use of Weapons)

Thanks for the link Korenith :smile:

Actually, to correct my earlier post, I didn't start with Consider Phlebas, my mistake.  My first was Feersum Endjinn.  It's probably still my favourite, just ahead of The Algebraist :smile:

Thanks for the link Korenith :smile:

Actually, to correct my earlier post, I didn't start with Consider Phlebas, my mistake.  My first was Feersum Endjinn.  It's probably still my favourite, just ahead of The Algebraist :smile:

I loved the world in The Algebraist but the villain felt a little too cartoony for my tastes. I'd probably put it around the middle of the pack if I were doing a list of his best to worst novels.

the villain felt a little too cartoony for my tastes.

That was one of the most appealing aspects for me - he was very amusing.  I liked the humour in the book in general.  It's the one that probably intrigues me the most as, since reading it, I have thought about it more than any of the others of his that I've read to date. 

• 1 month later...

Iain (M) Banks has just announced that he has terminal cancer :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-22015175

Edit:  More here http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/books/features/iain-banks-reveals-he-is-dying-of-cancer-1-2874469

Edited by Karsa Orlong