Book survey

Athena

I thought it'd be fun to do a little book survey and read everyone's answers. If no one likes it, that's ok too, thought I'd give it a try :blush:. I'm sure the answers to some of these questions may be found in other topics, so I understand if you can't be bothered with some of the questions etc. Some of those topics haven't been posted in for several years and I wasn't sure about resurrecting each one just to post my own answers in it etc.

The Past

When did you start to love reading?

What books did you love as a child (either read to or to read yourself)?

Childhood memories of reading (if you have them)?

Did you read books for school?

Favourites

Favourite book:

Favourite author:

Favourite genre(s):

Your Collection

Do you own an ereader?

Ebooks or physical books (or both)?

Hardcover or paperback (or both)?

New books or used books (or both)?

Big books or small books (or both)?

What language are most of your books written in?

Favourite book shop(s):

Do you buy a lot of books?

Do you spend a lot of money on books?

Amount of owned books:

Amount of books read:

Amount of books TBR:

Reading

How often do you read?

Where do you read?

When do you read?

How fast do you read?

The Forum

When did you join this forum?

How did you find this forum?

Here's mine:

The Past

When did you start to love reading? When I was about 9 years old we had to go to the school library and borrow books there, to read in the reading time in class. Ever since, I've loved books.

What books did you love as a child (either read to or to read yourself)? To be read to, a book called Monkey. I don't remember who wrote it. To read myself, I loved the Babysitter's Club books by Ann M. Martin. Unfortunately only half of them were translated into Dutch. I also loved many of R. L. Stine's horror books and Thea Beckman's books. There are many more but I think these would have to be my favourites.

Childhood memories of reading (if you have them)? I used to sit in my room a lot, after school, and read book after book after book. We had to go to two libraries because I didn't have enough to read for a week, otherwise.

Did you read books for school? In primary school we got to pick books ourselves. For secondary school / high school, we had to read a number of novels picked by teachers as well as choose some ourselves, as long as it was considered literature from the appropriate country. I read quite some great books and I also read some not so great books.

Favourites

Favourite book: Couldn't choose.

Favourite author: Hmm, there are so many good authors!

Favourite genre(s): Fantasy, science-fiction, contemporary fiction, chick-lit, literature.

Your Collection

Do you own an e-reader? I've ordered one but it hasn't arrived yet. So 'yes', but I haven't actually held it in my hands yet.

Ebooks or physical books (or both)? So far, physical books, but lately I've become less opposed of e-readers and thought it might be useful for when I travel. Physical books for now, but this may change a bit in the future.

Hardcover or paperback (or both)? Paperback.

New books or used books (or both)? New unless it's not available or very cheap to buy used books (where I live there aren't many charity shops or easy places to buy used books for cheap). I prefer my books to be in a good condition and I help pay the author(s).

Big books or small books (or both)? I love long books but I also read smaller books now and then.

What language are most of your books written in? English mainly.

Favourite book shop(s): In terms of where I buy, it's mostly online (mainly Amazon). In terms of an actual book shop, to look inside, I like Waterstone's, The Works, Bruna, Selexyz.

Do you buy a lot of books? Yes.

Do you spend a lot of money on books? Probably yes.

Amount of owned books: 1000+ adult books. Children's books, 300-500.

Amount of books read: Since 18+, about 600. In total, probably over 2000 I estimate.

Amount of books TBR: Too many :D.

Amount of books wishlisted: Too many :D.

Reading

How often do you read?: I tend to read on most days, unless I'm too tired or busy with other things.

Where do you read? Mostly in my room.

When do you read? Usually in the afternoon, sometimes in the evening. In the weekends sometimes also in the mornings.

How fast do you read? Pretty fast.

The Forum

When did you join this forum? January 2013

How did you find this forum? I used Google, BCF was one of the first hits.

PS. I love this forum!

Great little quiz Athena! Here are my answers:

The Past

When did you start to love reading? Since I was able to read, so when I was about 5.

What books did you love as a child (either read to or to read yourself)? Roald Dahl.

Childhood memories of reading (if you have them)?I remember reading the 'Peter and Jane' books at school, followed by Roald Dahl books

Did you read books for school? Yes see above

Favourites

Favourite book:ooh that's very difficult! Probably 'Memoirs of a Geisha' by Arthur Golden

Favourite author: Kate Atkinson

Favourite genre(s):Horror

Your Collection

Do you own an ereader?I've had a Kindle since Christmas

Ebooks or physical books (or both)?Both. There's nothing like the feel and smell of a physical book, but E-readers are great for carrying books on the go and storing books.

Hardcover or paperback (or both)?Paperbacks

New books or used books (or both)?Used Books

Big books or small books (or both)?I love the acomplishment of finishing a big book, but small books are easier to carry.

What language are most of your books written in?English

Favourite book shop(s): I don't get the chance to go to books hops anymore, so I'll have to say Amazon

Do you buy a lot of books?YES! Too many!

Do you spend a lot of money on books?I try and find bargains as much as possible.

Amount of owned books:I really don't know

Amount of books read: Amount of books read EVER!? Well it's probably into the hundreds by now!

Amount of books TBR: 26 but many, many more on my wishlist

Reading

How often do you read? every day

Where do you read? Generally at home, but sometimes when waiting in doctor's surgeries

When do you read? Any time of day, but generally in the evening.

How fast do you read?I read a lot, but I'm a pretty slow reader.

The Forum

When did you join this forum?15th December 2011

How did you find this forum?I think I did a search for book forums on Google and this one came up. I'm glad I joined, because it's such a fun, friendly place to chat about books and other stuff.

The Past

When did you start to love reading? From as long ago as I remember. My dad taught me to read before I went to school, and my mum would buy me a book of my choice (age appropriate, obviously!) every week. They did the same with my brothers, so I guess the passed on their love of reading to us.

What books did you love as a child (either read to or to read yourself)? I loved Enid Blyton books - the Magic Faraway Tree and the Naughty Amelia Jane books, then the Famous Five, Secret Seven and Five Find-Outters and It books, and then the St Clare's and Mallory Towers books, which made me want to go to boarding school!

Childhood memories of reading (if you have them)? I remember reading with my dad when I was little, and I always used to take a book to bed, to read under the covers.

Did you read books for school? I only really remember reading Great Expectations and The Merchant of Venice (which incidentally I think is a bad choice for teaching Shakespeare to youngsters). I think I may have read Lord of the Flies at school as well.

Favourites

Favourite book: Just ONE!?!? :D I suppose if I absolutely could only pick one, it would be To Kill A Mockingbird. For fiction, I also love Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, and Emma by Jane Austen. Oh, and A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry. Favourite non-fiction are Homicide:AYear on the Killing Streets by David Simon, and Dead Man Walking by Sister Helen Prejean.

Favourite author: Lots - Jane Austen, Shakespeare, Paullina Simons, Sarah Waters

Favourite genre(s): Biography, feminism, dystopian fiction

Your Collection

Do you own an ereader? I have iBooks and the Kindle app on my iPad.

Ebooks or physical books (or both)? Still prefer physical books, by some distance.

Hardcover or paperback (or both)? I prefer paperbacks, but don't mind hardbacks. Paper books are just easier to carry around with you.

New books or used books (or both)? Don't mind, as long as the book is in a readable condition without pages falling out or anything like that.

Big books or small books (or both)? If you mean in terms of length, I don't mind. In terms of physical size, I'd say small, because they're easier to carry around (same reason I prefer paperbacks to hardbacks).

What language are most of your books written in? English. I don't speak any other languages :(

Favourite book shop(s): There is a bookstore on Martha's Vineyard, called Bunch of Grapes....my favourite bookstore I've ever been in. But where I live, the choice is pretty much Waterstones or WHSmith.

Do you buy a lot of books? Yes, far too many! Although I am trying to cut down, with some success.

Do you spend a lot of money on books? Yes, but don't shock me by making me work it out!!

Amount of owned books: Nearly 2000, but I've got rid of a lot of books lately, so it was more than that last year.

Amount of books read: I guess about 800. That's in the last ten years or so.

Amount of books TBR: About 1000. *blushes*

Reading

How often do you read? Every day, for a total of between 30 - 90 mins, I guess.

Where do you read? Usually in a big comfy armchair in our living room. I also read on public transport, or if I'm waiting for someone. I always carry a book in my bag.

When do you read? Usually at lunch-time and in the evening.

How fast do you read? Varies a lot, depending on what I'm reading.

The Forum

When did you join this forum? In 2007, but only became properly active here about three years ago.

How did you find this forum? It was recommended to me by a member.

Edited by Ruth

Ooh, great way to get to know everyone as well. Especially for all us newbies. :D

The Past

I've loved reading since I can remember but more so in my early teens.

I loved all the standard teen books (from when I really started reading), Jacqueline Wilson, Cassandra Clare etc.

Uhm, trying to read Hamlet at the age of about 12 and not understanding it. I also read Jane Eyre and To Kill a Mockingbird at 11 or 12.

I have to read books for my English Literature lessons now and I had to read them at school as well. My secondary school has 30 mins of reading everyday which everyone has to participate in. These were my favourite parts of lessons I wasn't particularly interested in.

Favourites
Favourite book: Ooh, it's between The Woodcutter by Reginald Hill and the last Wheel of Time book.
Favourite genre(s): I would say my favourite genre is fantasy/sci-fi.

Your Collection
Do you own an ereader?

Yep, I have a Kobo.

I'm more inclined to ebooks since I got my Kobo in that they're more efficient in terms of reading outside the house. But I do love the feel/smell of books so I guess both.

Paperbacks all the way. I feel bad about the spine creasing in a hardback and it's harder to read a big hardback.

New books. I think I have a phobia against used books. Nothing against them but you don't know where they've been. :wacko: 

Definitely big books. More to read and I love long stories that are well developed.

English
Favourite book shop(s):

Waterstones

Not personally, I tend to read the books that my Mum buys if I'm not reading ebooks.

See above.
Amount of owned books: I couldn't tell you. There's about 20-30 in our cupboard but those are just our favourites.
Amount of books read: God knows. Upwards of 100 most likely. I've never kept count.
Amount of books TBR: Only 4 or 5. I don't like massive TBR piles.

Reading
How often do you read?

Everyday. Sometimes just for a few hours but I can read for most of the day when I want to.
Where do you read?

At school or at home. Anywhere I have spare time.
When do you read?

I tend to read in the evenings when TV is on that I don't like.
How fast do you read?

I wouldn't be able to tell. I think I read quite fast. It seems even faster with my ereader.

The Forum

About the middle of January.

Just typed book forum into Google.

Thanks for your answers, quite interesting! :)

Do you spend a lot of money on books?I try and find bargains as much as possible.

I do this too.

Favourite book shop(s): There is a bookstore on Martha's Vineyard, called Bunch of Grapes....my favourite bookstore I've ever been in. But where I live, the choice is pretty much Waterstones or WHSmith.

I like WHSmith too, can't believe I forgot them. On a sidenote, I do buy quite a few books at bookfairs normally, but since this isn't an actual shop I didn't list it. I do like them, though.

(hmm, it seems I can't put any "enters" between my text and the quotes anymore, for some reason.)

The Past

I don't remember a time when I didn't love reading!

Any I could get my hands on. I remember being partial to the Malory Towers books by Enid Blyton, and the Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder when I was very young, but I quickly moved onto to horror and the likes of Stephen King et al. One of my all-time favourites, however, remains Ronia, The Robber's Daughter by Astrid Lindgren - it's still a beautiful story and I will adore it to the end of time!

I was never without a book - they were always my favourite pastime.

Yes. All of them. When we were given a choice of books to read, I would read all of them instead of just the one or two I was supposed to choose - I devoured them and couldn't get enough!

Favourites
Favourite book:
Favourite author:
Favourite genre(s):

These change on a daily basis depending on my mood. Some of my favourite authors are Terry Pratchett, Kelley Armstrong, Christopher Brookmyre, Stuart MacBride, Philippa Gregory, Smion Scarrow, Richard Castle, Brom - the list goes on and on, really!

Your Collection
Do you own an ereader?

Yes - I have a Kindle

I prefer physical books, but my Kindle is very handy when I travel and I wouldn't be without it!

If a book is destinied for my permanent collection (one of my favourite authors) I like it in hardback. Most of my paperbacks get donated to the library.

I care not, so long as I get to read them!

A book is a book is a book!

English, please!

Favourite book shop(s):

Any shop that sells books is fine by me!

Yes, but not this year - I have resolved not to buy any books at all for myself this year!

Yes, hence my decision not to buy any this year!

Amount of owned books:

Fewer than you'd think, as I donate so many of them.

Amount of books read:

I cannot put a number on it, but if I average 100 books each year, that would put me at 3600 books. I probably read more than that, but I didn't read at all till I was 3 1/2...

Amount of books TBR:
At present, 49

Reading
How often do you read?

Every day if I can help it!

Where do you read?

Anywhere and everywhere!

When do you read?

Whenever I get a spare few minutes to myself, whenever I'm in a queue, whenever I'm waiting for an appointment - yo uname it, I'll read. I always have a book in my bag for such occasions.

How fast do you read?

At present I probably average a couple of books a week. I used to get through 4 or 5 a week, but I'm a busy Mum with an energetic 4-y-o boy and lots of other hobbies too, as well as working part time, so I don't get as much reading time as I used to!

The Forum

October 2005

I actually found the old Yahoo group right as it was about to close and the original forum was opening. I signed up straight away and never looked back. I've joined other book forums over the years, but this is the only one I've stuck with all this time. I guess I just like the people and the format. :)

The Past
When did you start to love reading? I've loved reading for as long as I can remember. I remember my parents reading to me at night, and I remember taking a Winnie The Pooh book to school in Junior Infants (so I was 4) for a book show-and-tell kind of day.

What books did you love as a child (either read to or to read yourself)? Those two books (my parents read from this 1001 bedtime stories collection) are the first two books I remember having and loving. After that, I remember the Tell Me Why series of childrens question encyclopaedias. I also adored Enid Blyton's Faraway Tree books, and The Children Of Cherry-tree Farm. I also remember, in Primary school, getting out Shy Little Kitten's Secret Place and The Discontented Pony several times each.

Childhood memories of reading (if you have them)? I remember taking that Pooh book (Winnie The Pooh and the Honey Tree - I think it was a Ladybird book, it had a yellow/orange dotted cover) to school and feeling embarrased by it compared to other childrens books. Looking back, I should never have doubted it because Winnie The Pooh is an entity (not just the books) that has stayed with me all my lives, and I bet half those kids brought picture books.

Did you read books for school? We had a library in Primary school, as I mentioned above, and we were taken once a week. I loved that library trip, I loved the card system (white type-writer samped title cards in pockets inside the book, put into a small pink cardboard pocket with my name on, each of the pockets arranged by class in light brown lid-less wooden boxes that clacked in a really lovely way on the table under the window, just inside the door. The window had these beige cavas-y blinds that were always half, or completely, shut, so the library was always semi- or totally dark. God I loved those cards. It was all a very solemn experience for me, borrowing books from the library - such a wealth of stories and ideas and beautiful words and I was able to take one away with me every week! But it had to be treated very carefully, because such precious things were only on loan to me.

Favourites
Favourite book: So many! Winnie The Pooh and The House At Pooh Corner, Inkheart, The Book Of Lost Things, A Monster Calls, Del-Del, Flowers For Algernon, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, The End Of Mr. Y, The Magicians, Vlad: The Last Confession, The Enchanted Places, Out Of Nowhere, The Coldfire Trilogy, Paper Towns, Wuthering Heights, The Fault In Our Stars....
Favourite author: Anyone who wrote any of the above books, but I also regularly read things by Tracy Chevalier, Anna McPartlin, Stephen King and Jodi Picoult, though none of them have standalone favourite books for me, just a consistently enjoyable style.
Favourite genre(s): General fiction - anything that makes me think, loads of YA and children's books and a little bit of horror. When I'm feeling braver, some historical fiction, fantasy and sci-fi. And, apparently I read some chick-lit. So basically everything, EXCEPT crime/mystery/thriller stuff.

Your Collection
Do you own an ereader? Yes, a Kobo Glo which I just got this Christmas gone.
Ebooks or physical books (or both)? Both. I will never give up on physical books, but my Kobo is definitely allowing me to get more reading done.
Hardcover or paperback (or both)? Oh hardback, whenever I can afford it.
New books or used books (or both)? Both. I tend to buy used because they tend to be cheaper, but I prefer them to look as new as possible.
Big books or small books (or both)? Both! I love books of all colours, shapes and sizes!
What language are most of your books written in? English!
Favourite book shop(s): Amazon Marketplace :giggle:
Do you buy a lot of books? Emmm.... not reeeeeeally. I get a lot for my Kobo.
Do you spend a lot of money on books? Nope. If I can't get it cheap, I don't get it at all.
Amount of owned books: Errrr.... Bordering 300 I'd say.
Amount of books read: Not nearly enough.
Amount of books TBR: Most of my currently owned books.

Reading
How often do you read? Once I get into a book, every day, but I usually take several days off between books.
Where do you read? At home, generally.
When do you read? The evening.
How fast do you read? Depends on what I'm reading, some books require more concentration than others.

The Forum
When did you join this forum? December 2008
How did you find this forum? Googled for book forums!

Any I could get my hands on. I remember being partial to the Malory Towers books by Enid Blyton, and the Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder when I was very young, but I quickly moved onto to horror and the likes of Stephen King et al. One of my all-time favourites, however, remains Ronia, The Robber's Daughter by Astrid Lindgren - it's still a beautiful story and I will adore it to the end of time!

Ooh, I loved the Mallory Towers books. Wasn't there another series like it? I can't remember the name but they were basically the same. Was brilliant. My Mum actually recommended it (from her dawn of the dinosaur years! :D) and it was brilliant.

What books did you love as a child (either read to or to read yourself)? Those two books (my parents read from this 1001 bedtime stories collection) are the first two books I remember having and loving. After that, I remember the Tell Me Why series of childrens question encyclopaedias. I also adored Enid Blyton's Faraway Tree books, and The Children Of Cherry-tree Farm. I also remember, in Primary school, getting out Shy Little Kitten's Secret Place and The Discontented Pony several times each.

OMG! Faraway Tree stories. That brings back memories. Was a brilliant novel. Can't beat Enid Blyton. I think I used to have a bedtime stories book by her.  :blush2:

Ooh, I loved the Mallory Towers books. Wasn't there another series like it? I can't remember the name but they were basically the same. Was brilliant. My Mum actually recommended it (from her dawn of the dinosaur years! :D) and it was brilliant.

The Twins at St Clare -  I probably belong to the pre-historic generation too :)

The Past

When did you start to love reading? as soon as I was old enough to read 

What books did you love as a child (either read to or to read yourself)? mainly Enid Blyton.  
Childhood memories of reading (if you have them)? Reading by torchlight and hoping my parents wouldn't find out !
Did you read books for school? Yes

Favourites
Favourite book:
Whatever I am reading at the moment

Favourite author: I don't have favourite authors, as the message (to me at least) is more important than the messender

Favourite genre(s): probably what most people would call literary fiction

Your Collection
Do you own an ereader?
Yes - Kindle keyboard

E books or physical books (or both)? E-books every time - they are so much more convenient and easier to store and access.  
Hardcover or paperback (or both)? Paperback
New books or used books (or both)? New, as I like to support both authors and publishers. I am an author myself, and so know how hard it is. 
Big books or small books (or both)? small
What language are most of your books written in? English
Favourite book shop(s): Waterstones for physical books, although most of mine now come from Amazon.
Do you buy a lot of books? About one a week
Do you spend a lot of money on books? Not as much as it could be, as I do online surveys that pay in Amazon vouchers. 

Amount of owned books: I wouldn't like to guess - must be a couple of hundred though 
Amount of books read: Again, I wouldn't like to guess. Last year though it was 63.  
Amount of books My wish list currently has about 60 items

Reading
How often do you read?
Every day
Where do you read? At work during my breaks, at home in the evenings and on my days off, on holiday

When do you read? Whenever I have the time and the inclination
How fast do you read? A read an average of one book every 5 days

The Forum
I think it was about 5 years ago 
How did you find this forum? via google

The Past

I was naturally drawn towards books - having always seen my father with one.

And I loved stories - for very many years I went to bed with my father or grand-mother telling me made-up stories every night.

My mother would get me many picture books - and some where along the way all those squiggly lines become words and I started to read and have always liked doing so.

My father read out many stories from the children books he had in our native tongue - Kannada, which I loved. 

The moral-tales from The Panchatantra are the ones which I remember vividly (I dare say most Indians do). It's a collection of animal fables which have been passed through the generations for centuries in our country. (On the same lines as the Jataka Tales of the Buddhists.)

Also in the 80s(when I was a child) the then Soviet Union and India had entered into some kind of a friendship-treaty which brought to our markets a beautiful collection of affordable Russian literature.

My prized possessions were a set of Russian fairy-tale books and a gorgeous collection of a translated children magazines : Misha.

(A picture I found)-

MISHA_zps5fdd59d7.jpg

Of the books I read on my own it was always those by Enid Blyton

The Folk of The Faraway Tree, Mr. Twiddle, Mr Muddle, Pink-Whistle are all old dear friends.

I was an only child till I was around 8, and mostly was by myself except when I met my cousins.

So I was almost always reading story books. Or "solving" puzzles in my numerous puzzle books.

I remember when I was around 9, my mother complaining to my teacher that I was always with a book. 

My teacher told her that she should be happy as she was having a hard time getting the other children to read.

On hind-sight I wish my mother had stuck to her gut feeling, and I hadn't been into books all the time.

Not because it did me any harm - but I really wish I had pursued a sport and had also been more physical active than I was back then.

Yes. 

A week after the academic year ended we'd be given our set of books for the next year - and I'd read the English Textbooks end to end.

And then went around collecting the books of my older cousins and reading them as well.

Favourites

Favourite book: Heidi ~ Johanna Spyri

Favourite author: I'm not really loyal to authors - I usually try and take each book for itself.

Favourite genre(s): Anything actually in fiction. Except that I've never been able to enjoy horror or science fiction (this goes even for films)

Your Collection

Do you own an ereader? No

Ebooks or physical books (or both)? Physical books

Hardcover or paperback (or both)? I like both. I like the affordability of a paperback - and I love the feel of a hard-back.

(I love the sound and feel of my nails on it!)

New books or used books (or both)? All through childhood I was bought plenty of new books and have loved them. For a few years now I've fallen in love with pre-loved books : "used" books which have been handled with care. Each of them seem to have a little bit of history and a sniff of mystery - and I often wonder at their journey before reaching me.

Big books or small books (or both)? It doesn't really matter.

What language are most of your books written in? English. 

Favourite book shop(s): In my home-town, Bangalore, there's a shop called "Blossom Book House".

The ground-floor sells new books - the top two floors sells pre-loved books. You can spend hours here losing yourself and all sense of time.

They also buy back books from you.

So each time I visit mum's place I spend a delightful couple of days giving back books I no longer want - and getting some "new" treasures.

It's run by lovely people who let you take your time there and only interrupt you to offer you coffee.

Blossom-Bookstore_zps4636217d.jpg

Do you buy a lot of books? I don't buy more than I can read - so no.

Not sure how to answer this!

It may sound strange but I don't have many needs to spend much money on - so given that context what I spend on books is the most I spend for anything (apart from basic necessities).

Amount of owned books:

All the books I've collected through the years are at my mothers - and I probably have more than 600.

On my last visit I gave away many of the ones that I knew I wouldn't read again, and didn't want to keep for the little one - so not sure how many are left.

At my home here, I have around 35 - and I'll probably exchange half of them the next time I go the city.

Amount of books read:

I really can't say!

For a long time - I'd read a book-a-day (except for a MAD "Mills-n-Boon" stage when I was 16 - where I sometimes read two and even three on holidays)

Then in between - for around five years I hardly read anything - except re-reads of a few favourites.

So I can't arrive at a number.

Amount of books TBR: 12

Reading

How often do you read? I try to read for at least an hour every night

Where do you read? Mostly on my bed. If the sun is out, and I'm not working, sometimes on a chair in the balcony.

When do you read? Mostly at night. Sometimes in the afternoon when the little one is napping.

How fast do you read? I don't know.

The Forum

When did you join this forum? February 5, 2012

How did you find this forum? A search-engine query for book forums brought me here, and I loved the beautiful way it was organised and I signed up.

(Thank you Athena for this - I had a pleasant few minutes reliving my childhood :friends0:)

The Past

When did you start to love reading? Ever since I can remember.

What books did you love as a child? I loved Enid Blytons Magic Faraway Tree and the Famous Five

]Childhood memories of reading (if you have them)? I think the first clear memory is when my sister was reading me a Goliwog story and my mom told her off for saying that they had gone to the shop for cigarettes except it was true. :)

Did you read books for school? Yes, I remember reading Shakespeares Romeo and Juliet and Macbeth

Favourites

Favourite book: Too difficult!!

Favourite author: This is a hard one but if I had to choose it would be Terry Pratchett

Favourite genre(s): Horror or fantasy

[Your Collection

Do you own an ereader? No but I have recently got a tabley so I will be able to read on that

Ebooks or physical books (or both)? Nothing beats the feel of a tree book but I'm open to e-books

Hardcover or paperback (or both)? Paper backs are easier to carry but hardbacks look better onthe shelf.

New books or used books (or both)? I wish I could afford new books all the time but my selves are a mixture of the two.

Big books or small books (or both)? I like toread big books but it's easier to carry small books in your bag.

What language are most of your books written in? English, it's the only language I can speak.

Favourite book shop(s): I usually buy from Amazon as it's easier but I like to walk around book shops anyone will do.

Do you buy a lot of books? Lots and lots!

Do you spend a lot of money on books? Too much!

Amount of owned books: I currently have about 600

Amount of books read: I really don't know.

Amount of books TBR: I currently have 90 books on my to be read book shelf and around 100 on my wish list.

Reading

How often do you read? Daily

Where do you read? On the sofe in the evening and when I'm on the bus toand from work.

How fast do you read? That depends on what book I'm reading and how into it I am.

The Forum

When did you join this forum? early 2010

How did you find this forum?I think I did a search for book forums on Google and this one came up.

Edited by Cookie

Great post Athena! Here are my answers:

The Past

When did you start to love reading? Once we started to read properly at school I guess and mum and dad used to read to us..

What books did you love as a child (either read to or to read yourself)? Once I got into reading properly and enjoying it would be 'Famous Five' by Enid Blyton and like Kell 'Little House on the Prairie' by Laura Ingls...I devoured them.

Childhood memories of reading (if you have them)? Sittling curled up on the sofa reading and also at night once in bed with a cosy hot water bottle at my feet.

Did you read books for school? We would always have a reading book to take home from school for homework, so yes. Then when on to secondary school, you would have books to read for English lesson.

Favourites

Favourite book: I couldn't possibly choose one, I have read so many good books over the years. Although To Kill a Mockingbird and The Red Tent are up there.

Favourite author: As above, I couldn't choose.

Favourite genre(s):   Anything that involves family saga/relationships. Occasional mystery/thriller.

Your Collection

Do you own an ereader? Definitely not.

Ebooks or physical books (or both)? .Physical, you can't beat the turning of a paper page.

Hardcover or paperback (or both)? Paperbacks

New books or used books (or both)? Both

Big books or small books (or both)? Both, but tend not to carry big books around. I would probably take a smaller book out and about with me, so sometimes end up reading two at a time.

What language are most of your books written in? All in English.

Favourite book shop(s): I liked Ottakers and then was taken over by Waterstones, which I like too. I also used to enjoy a browse in Borders books before they all closed down. Any charity shops I venture into the bookshelves always get the once over. If we are ever out anywhere and there is a bookshop around the magnet of browsing is overwhelming and we have to visit. I love any independent bookshops, but alas they are becoming difficult to find now. Oh and if they have a coffee shop attached within, def gets a visit. We have a great shop here in Aberdeen Books and Beans, coffee, homebaking and second hand books. Bliss.

Do you buy a lot of books?  Difficult not to isn't it... :giggle:  I always try to have a wishlist of books for birthdays/Christmas though.

Do you spend a lot of money on books? Possibly, but when I am buying books they aren't always for me. I like to try and buy books for presents too, so it is justified! I have always acquired a lot of books via Bookcrossing.com, swapping them etc. Also ReadItSwapIt.

Amount of owned books: I haven't a clue. :D

Amount of books read: I would imagine hundreds, couldn't begin to count!

Amount of books TBR: Again...I haven't a clue as there are so many unread books on my shelf due to buying/swapping/borrowing.

Reading

How often do you read? Daily

Where do you read? Usually at home, but if I am going into town/appointment etc I always take a book in my bag. Then if you are shopping you HAVE to stop for a cuppa don't you!

When do you read? Usually in the evening when I go to bed, but then the inevitable happens....the book falls on my face because I fall asleep and don't get as much read... :giggle: I should spend more time reading before I go to bed.

How fast do you read?  If I can read a book in 2-3 weeks I am doing well...does that count as fast or slow or somewhere inbetween!

The Forum

When did you join this forum? Apparently....21 Jul 2006

How did you find this forum? I can't honestely remember specifically, but it may have been via ReadItSwapIt or some other bookie forum on another site. Michelle might know :D .

That was fun :typing:

Edited by Inver

Ooh, I loved the Mallory Towers books. Wasn't there another series like it? I can't remember the name but they were basically the same.

The Twins at St Clare -  I probably belong to the pre-historic generation too :)

Yes, I read a few of those too, but I didn't like them as much as the Malory Towers books. I remember thinking the twins were quite stuck up (if I remember correctly, they didn't want to go to St Clare's but wanted to go to Red Roofs with their stuck up friends instead - even their parents said they were getting too stuck up and that's why they weren't going there - or something like that!). Whereas Darrel Rivers of the Malory Towers books was a very likeable girl. She felt like someone I could actually be friends with. Most of the girls there did, except for Gwen - she was a bit of a cow! I remember being in awe of Irene's musical and mathematical talents, and thinking Alicia was frightfully clever, Marylou was just such a sweetheart, and Darrel, well, Darrell was just a nice all-rounder who mostly got on with her work and still managed to have fun. I also thought that playing lacrosse sounded like bundles of fun, and even though that outdoor swimming pool must have been absolutely FREEZING, I desperately wanted to go for a dip in it!!!

I think I shall have to get hold of the original 6 books and re-read them. I think more were written much later on, but it's the original series I have such fond memories of. :)

The Past

When did you start to love reading?  Don’t know, I’ve always loved to read.  Apparently when I was 4 I told my Dad I was
going to be a librarian so I could read all day.

What books did you love as a child (either read to or to read yourself)?  I can’t remember when I was very young,
but from about 10 on Judy Blume and Paula Danziger were big favourites 

In high school we had to read certain books
for school.  Some were crap, but there
were a few good ones; The Outsiders, Lord of the Flies.

Favourites

Favourite book: don’t know

Favourite author: probably Ian Rankin

Favourite genre(s):  mystery

Your Collection

Do you own an ereader?  I have a kindle on my phone

Ebooks or physical books (or both)?  Nearly
always physical but have the kindle to read at doctors appointments and things
like that.

Hardcover or paperback (or both)? Hardcover mostly, will read paperbacks in
the bath

New books or used books (or both)? I don’t buy fiction, get all my books
from the library

Big books or small books (or both)? Both

Favourite book shop(s): don’t buy books

Do you buy a lot of books? See above

Do you spend a lot of money on books?  ditto

Amount of owned books: I have some non fiction, maybe a couple of hundred

Amount of books read:  impossible to
count

Amount of books TBR: I don’t have an actual TBR pile as such, but do have
18 library books in my drawer waiting to be read.

Reading

How often do you read? Everyday,
can’t imagine not reading

Where do you read? Mostly in bed for leisure, sometimes the bath.  Also read at my desk for uni.

When do you read? Leisure reading mostly at night

How fast do you read? Usually pretty fast. 
An average size book usually takes me about 3-4 days, depending how
quickly I fall asleep

The Forum

When did you join this forum? Last
year I think

How did you find this forum? Can’t remember, but I’m glad I did.

Yes, I read a few of those too, but I didn't like them as much as the Malory Towers books. I remember thinking the twins were quite stuck up (if I remember correctly, they didn't want to go to St Clare's but wanted to go to Red Roofs with their stuck up friends instead - even their parents said they were getting too stuck up and that's why they weren't going there - or something like that!). Whereas Darrel Rivers of the Malory Towers books was a very likeable girl. She felt like someone I could actually be friends with. Most of the girls there did, except for Gwen - she was a bit of a cow! I remember being in awe of Irene's musical and mathematical talents, and thinking Alicia was frightfully clever, Marylou was just such a sweetheart, and Darrel, well, Darrell was just a nice all-rounder who mostly got on with her work and still managed to have fun. I also thought that playing lacrosse sounded like bundles of fun, and even though that outdoor swimming pool must have been absolutely FREEZING, I desperately wanted to go for a dip in it!!!

I think I shall have to get hold of the original 6 books and re-read them. I think more were written much later on, but it's the original series I have such find memories of. :)

I didn't much like the O'Sullivan twins either. The series always felt like The Secret Seven did to The Famous Five.

Malory Towers - I completely loved. And another shorter series (just three books) - was The Naughtiest Girl - which was a firm favourite.

The Past
When did you start to love reading? As an adult, around the age of 18. 
What books did you love as a child (either read to or to read yourself)? Astrid Lindgren books, Enid Blyton's Famous Five series, Nancy Drew etc
Mom reading me to sleep 
Did you read books for school? Yes, from the school library. 

Favourites
Favourite book: Riotous assembly by Tom Sharpe
Favourite author: Franz Kafka
Favourite genre(s): Crime

Your Collection
Ebooks or physical books (or both)? Physical
Hardcover or paperback (or both)? I buy mostly paperback because of the price, but I think hardcover are more stylish looking on the book shelf.
New books or used books (or both)? Preferably new. Old if I can't find a certain book.
What language are most of your books written in? Original language, English. But the majority of my books are in Swedish.
Favourite book shop(s): Adlibris.com - online 
Do you buy a lot of books? Yes, more than I read
Do you spend a lot of money on books? A bit too much, yes.
Amount of owned books: 400
Amount of books read: I have no clue. Didn't start officially counting (grade them online on LibraryThing) until last year. So the number there is completely off. 
Amount of books TBR: 300

Reading
How often do you read? A couple of times a week
Where do you read? In bed
When do you read? Before going to sleep at night
How fast do you read? Avarage?

The Forum
When did you join this forum? 30 Dec 2009 - had to check that, cause I had no clue what so ever.
How did you find this forum? Google

Edited by emelee

The Past

When did you start to love reading? Ever since i can rememeber. We always had books in the house, both of my parents are quite big readers and ive picked up on that.
What books did you love as a child (either read to or to read yourself)? Anything Enid Blyton really. I read so much by her.
Childhood memories of reading (if you have them)? Oh loads. My favourite is visiting the library with my mum every Saturday afternoon to pick out books for the week.
Did you read books for school? Yes and i used to really enjoy flying through some of them!

Favourites
Favourite book: Thats a hard one!
Favourite author: J. K. Rowling
Favourite genre(s): I would have to say at the minute Young Adult.

Your Collection
Do you own an ereader? Yes i have a kindle but i also read on my iPad.
Ebooks or physical books (or both)? Both, i still love the feel of a real book but i also like the fact that i can carry as many books around that i like on my kindle!
Hardcover or paperback (or both)? I prefer paperback to carry around, but I'm not really fussed between the two.
New books or used books (or both)? Again not really all that fussed but most of the books i buy are used.
Big books or small books (or both)? Both again! I love a big book with a good plot to get lost in but sometimes smaller is better.
What language are most of your books written in? English as thats the only language i understand!
Favourite book shop(s): The Independant book shop in my town is my favourite but i also like The Book People.
Do you buy a lot of books? YES!!!!
Do you spend a lot of money on books? Not too much as most of them are second hand.
Amount of owned books: not sure on the total but i think its probably around 800.
Amount of books read: Lots!
Amount of books TBR: 433

Reading
How often do you read? Every single day i hate not reading for a day!
Where do you read? Anywhere and everywhere!
When do you read? anytime i can!
How fast do you read? about one book every 5 days!

The Forum
When did you join this forum? May 2010
How did you find this forum? google

The Past
When did you start to love reading? For as long as I can remember. My mum tells me that I would read books over and over again from a very young age. I've never gone through a period where I stopped reading - I've always had one or more books of the go.
What books did you love as a child (either read to or to read yourself)? I loved Roald Dahl books, mainly The BFG and The Witches. Also when I was a little older, I loved The Famous Five and The Secret Seven series. I would read and re-read them. Never got sick of them.
Childhood memories of reading (if you have them)? The only memories I have of reading are looking forward to going to the library, and coming home with just bags full of them. Also, at school I was one of only a few children to need more than one library card (the old fashioned paper system where they handwrote who borrowed which book and stuck it in a sleeve in the back of the book, and every child also had their own card to be filled out by the librarian).
Did you read books for school? I did, and I looked forward to reading them aside from Shakespeare which I never could understand.

Favourites
Favourite book:  Too many to name! The book I have read the most is Stephen King's The Stand so I would probably say that is my favorite. It's closely followed by Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood and The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell. But these are only the ones I can think of, off the top of my head. If I had a list in front of me of all the books I've read I'm sure I'll pick many others that I loved. Oh, The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett is another favourite. As is The Loop by Nicholas Evans. Oh, the list could go on and on! :giggle:
Favourite author: Stephen King, Margaret Atwood, Maggie O'Farrell, Nicholas Evans
Favourite genre(s): I don't know what I'd call it, maybe just drama? I just like a good story.

Your Collection
Do you own an ereader? Yes, a Kindle.
Ebooks or physical books (or both)? I now prefer ebooks, but I still have some physical books to be read so I will probably still read them.
Hardcover or paperback (or both)? Hardcover for looks, but paperback for carrying around.
New books or used books (or both)? Either, as long as there are no boogers or odd stains!
Big books or small books (or both)? Both. I like to alternate and I love a good detailed story which a lot of authors need a decent number of pages to write. I'm not a great short story fan though.
Favourite book shop(s): It's been a while since I've been to a physical bookshop, as there aren't any decent ones in town. So, I'll have to say Amazon.
Do you buy a lot of books? In the past yes, but the plan is to cut down. I bought far more than I read in previous years (I blame my Kindle) and I am trying to cut down on that.
Do you spend a lot of money on books? Not as much as I would if I were buying paper books. Amazon have quite a few freebies or very cheap ones, so I've been mostly buying those.
Amount of owned books: Honestly, too many to count. I probably have 300 odd on my Kindle and probably the same number on the shelf behind me.
Amount of books read: I'm now averaging 50 books a year but when I was a young 'un I could read easily one a night, so it would probably be over a thousand? I don't know actually!
Amount of books TBR: Quite a few hundred, and I'm slowly working my way through them.

Reading
How often do you read? Nearly every day. It's rare that I don't, as I read in the morning when I'm getting ready for work and I always go to bed a bit earlier so I can read for at least half an hour.
Where do you read? On the sofa, in the kitchen, in bed, in the bath, in front of the computer (when I'm waiting for it to boot up).
When do you read? During the week it's mornings and nights. I'd like to read in my lunch hour but find it hard to concentrate. Weekends I read during the day when I can.
How fast do you read? Well, I average a book a week, so I suppose I read at an average speed.

The Forum
When did you join this forum? I can't recall. Maybe two years ago??
How did you find this forum? Good old Google!

I thought it'd be fun to do a little book survey and read everyone's answers. If no one likes it, that's ok too, thought I'd give it a try :blush:. I'm sure the answers to some of these questions may be found in other topics, so I understand if you can't be bothered with some of the questions etc. Some of those topics haven't been posted in for several years and I wasn't sure about resurrecting each one just to post my own answers in it etc.

This is Dex's

:animal:

The Past

What books did you love as a child (either read to or to read yourself)? Didn't really read books until I was about 12. The Hobbit was my first proper book.

Childhood memories of reading (if you have them)? Mr Men books, A Dr seuss about someone with lots of hats? Those game books that said turn left go to page 75. The adaptations of The Tripods bbc drama.

Did you read books for school? At primary school there were the Wide Range Readers set of school books. At secondary school set books were Mrs Frisby and the Rats of Nimh, The Crucible, 1984, Animal Farm.

Favourites

Favourite book:

Favourite author:

Favourite genre(s): Crime

Your Collection

Ebooks or physical books (or both)? Physical

Hardcover or paperback (or both)? Paperback

New books or used books (or both)? Mainly used

Favourite book shop(s): Charity shops, Play.com, Supermarkets.

Do you buy a lot of books? no not really

Do you spend a lot of money on books? No

Amount of owned books: Getting on for 400

Amount of books read:

Amount of books TBR: 26

Reading

How often do you read? Most days

Where do you read? In bed, in the lounge, At work during breaks

When do you read? Various times

How fast do you read? Depends on the book. A 500 page book takes me about a week. Or one like The Drop only took me a couple of days as I enjoyed it.

The Forum

When did you join this forum? 31-10-2011

How did you find this forum? Firefox

Edited by dex

The Past
When did you start to love reading?  I'm sure I've always loved reading but I first remember being absorbed in book from age 7/8 when I started independently reading proper books with chapters.
What books did you love as a child (either read to or to read yourself)?  Most of Enid Blyton's books, but particularly the Famous Fives, The Magic Faraway Tree series and later Malory Towers and The Twins at St Clares.  I also loved Arthur Ransomes Swallows and Amazons which I read over and over...
 As an early teen, if the weather was good, I used to grab a book and a dog and head over  to our local lake and read there.
Did you read books for school?  Yes, but I don't recall liking many of them, including Lord of the Flies and Romeo and Juliet.  I'm hoping my kids get some more current books to read for their GCSE's!

Favourites
Favourite book:  Human Traces and Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, Night Road by Kristin Hannah and The Host by Stephenie Meyer to name just a few..
Favourite author:  Too many to name..
Favourite genre(s):  Mainly contemporary fiction, some Young Adult and a smattering of others..

Your Collection
Do you own an ereader?  Yes, I got a Kobo for Christmas.
Ebooks or physical books (or both)?  Both.
Hardcover or paperback (or both)?  Hardback to look at but paperback more comfy to read.
New books or used books (or both)?  Either.
Big books or small books (or both)?  Depends on the book.
What language are most of your books written in?  All in English.
Favourite book shop(s):  Not a lot of choice round here, generally Waterstone's or Amazon.
Do you buy a lot of books?  Not compared to many on here!!
Do you spend a lot of money on books?  As above!!
Amount of owned books:  I don't hoard books so only have around a 100 or so..
Amount of books read:  I've only recently started counting, but well into the hundreds I should think.
Amount of books TBR: I have it down to 34 at present!!

Reading
How often do you read?  Everyday if I possibly can.
Where do you read?  Generally in bed, occasionally on the sofa if I have time during the day.
When do you read?  Mostly at bedtime.
How fast do you read?  Not sure of the speed but with average size books normally at least one book a week.

The Forum
When did you join this forum?  April 2010
How did you find this forum?  I found it whilst browsing the internet.

What books did you love as a child (either read to or to read yourself)? I loved Roald Dahl books, mainly The BFG and The Witches. Also when I was a little older, I loved The Famous Five and The Secret Seven series. I would read and re-read them. Never got sick of them.

I loved The Witches too!

Where do you read? On the sofa, in the kitchen, in bed, in the bath, in front of the computer (when I'm waiting for it to boot up).

I read behind the computer too sometimes while I'm waiting for it to boot up. My computer is pretty fast though XD, but it's a habit from earlier days.. Edited by Athena

I read behind the computer too sometimes while I'm waiting for it to boot up. My computer is pretty fast though XD, but it's a habit from earlier days..

Mine's not too slow, but it seems to take a long time if you have nothing to do but stare at an empty screen.