A writer and reader and...

stoney

...lots of other things besides.

My name's David and I'm an author published on lulu.

But I also do read a lot and am willing to get stuck into some of the forums here in return for being able to mention my book occasionally (while keeping within the rules).

If I'm feeling brave I might even post some of the stuff I am writing at the moment.

Looking forward to getting to know you all.

David

PS Currently reading Laughter in the Dark by Nabokov and Wind in the Willows - an interesting combination.

Hello and :) to the forum, David - another Y chromosome added to the mix - hurrah! I'm a fellow Wind in the Willows fan (I've loved that book ever since I was a kid) and occasionally put pen to paper. There are a few writers on here now - quite the little community! Looking forward to hearing all about your favourite books and authors, and perhaps sampling some of your own work too. :sign0072:

Hi David!

Welcome to the forum.

It's very friendly and very active! There are quite a few writers and aspiring writers on here, so I am sure you will feel at home.

I have just re-read The wind in the Willows. Always a joy to meet up with Mole and Ratty again!

Anyway, hope you enjoy posting. See you around.

Pp

But I also do read a lot and am willing to get stuck into some of the forums here in return for being able to mention my book occasionally (while keeping within the rules).

If I'm feeling brave I might even post some of the stuff I am writing at the moment.

Welcome David. I suggest that if you wish to tell us about your published work, that you use the Author's Promotions section. The writing section is there if you want to share/discuss your writing in general.

Looking forward to hearing more about your reading too. :)

Hello David - may I ask - what is lulu?? :)

put simply lulu is a website that enables you to create a book.

You upload your final text, create a pdf, decide on a layout and a cover and you're there.

The pdf exists on the website (and on amazon and other sites) where people can order a copy if they want.

The interesting thing is that a copy is only ever printed when somebody wants one (it's called print on demand). It is also exteremely accessible and useful to people like me who got fed up with accumulating rejection letters from agents and publishers.

The important thing for me is that it is out there, has sold a few copies and I can move on to the next thing.

The downside is that I have to market the book myself which is much harder than writing!

I've found one useful way of getting people to read my book is to offer discounted copies to reading groups and book clubs (real ones not virtual ones) and offering to go along and talk about the book and publishing.

If anybody knows of any that might be interested please let me know!

David

put simply lulu is a website that enables you to create a book.

You upload your final text, create a pdf, decide on a layout and a cover and you're there.

The pdf exists on the website (and on amazon and other sites) where people can order a copy if they want.

The interesting thing is that a copy is only ever printed when somebody wants one (it's called print on demand). It is also exteremely accessible and useful to people like me who got fed up with accumulating rejection letters from agents and publishers.

That's pretty interesting.

I googled and finally found the wikipedia article on lulu.com.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lulu.com

Hi David, welcome to the forum.

I have been wanting to meet someone who has had experiences with lulu, as I could be quite tempted to write that book that I started last year, though i have yet to find the courage!!!

Anyway, enough from me, I look forward to reading your posts.:)