Shelleys 2013 reading list

shelley.s

Yeh there's quite a few releases i'm looking forward to next year! The 6th Mortal Instruments book is defiantly one of them. Im also really looking forward to the third book in Laini Taylors trilogy and the second book to Miss Peregrins home for peculiar children by Ransom Riggs. They are probably my top three!

Edited by shelley.s

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

City of fallen angels by Cassandra Clare 4/5

About the book

The Mortal War is over, and sixteen-year-old Clary Fray is back home in New York, excited about all the possibilities before her. She's training to become a Shadowhunter and - most importantly of all - she can finally call Jace her boyfriend. But nothing comes without a price. Someone is murdering the Shadowhunters who used to be in Valentine's Circle, provoking tensions between Downworlders and Shadowhunters that could lead to a second, bloody war. And when Jace begins to pull away from her without explaining why, Clary is forced to delve into the heart of a mystery whose solution reveals her worst nightmare: she herself has set in motion a terrible chain of events that could lead to her losing everything she loves. Even Jace.

My thoughts

Ive been reading this series one book after another so the story is all knitting together very nicely. I really liked this installment in the series however the pace of the book has defiantly slowed down a bit. I still love the characters and in this book it they each come to their own realizations of their futures which is present in the other books but not quite as prominent.  

Simon realizes he's really going to live forever and watch as his friends grow old and die leaving him alone and still trapped in the body of a 16 year old. Izzy finally realises how she really feels about Simon, Alec also realizes that Magnus will live on forever and he will not.

So the emotions are quite different in this book. The action takes a side step and its not until the end chapter where it gets to the main plot and everything happens. So again another fab book and i cant wait to get on with No.5

Great review, and I agree totally with it! It is a different pace, with that shift of focus for all the characters. :smile:

Yes its almost as if they all have their own little stories in this book, they aren't as together as they've all paired up and are concentrating on their relationships. Although that may sound boring it was actually quite refreshing to see the characters take a breather from fighting and become love bugs  :wub:

Im really looking forward to starting City of lost souls tonight. Then im all Clare'd out for a bit i think. I've already read The Infernal devices (i read it first) so i loved the fact i already knew who Will Herondale was when Alec overheard Camille referring to him in her conversation to Magnus.

If you havent read The Infernal Devices yet you simply must  :D

I'm glad you enjoyed the fifth book of the series :). I'll get around to reading the series sometime.

Set your self a goal for next year  :smile:

I thought it was a bit of a commitment reading the whole series without any gaps (bar book no.6 which is out next year) as i like to have alot of variety and i have so much i want to read but i can honestly say i've demolished every book and have read pretty much the first 4 in 4 weeks which isnt bad as they aren't what id class as short! 

Im really looking forward to starting City of lost souls tonight. Then im all Clare'd out for a bit i think. I've already read The Infernal devices (i read it first) so i loved the fact i already knew who Will Herondale was when Alec overheard Camille referring to him in her conversation to Magnus.

If you havent read The Infernal Devices yet you simply must  :D

Yes, I have! It is so good to have those little cross over bits. I know what you mean about being 'all Clare'd out for a bit'. It's great to lose yourself in the Shadow hunter universe for a while, but nice to read other things afterward. :smile:

Edited by Chrissy

Yes its alot of books from one author. Although it has been a nice change as Im used to starting a trilogy and waiting a year in between each book then forgetting what happened in the first book  :roll: so its nice and fluent.

However i literally have no idea what im going to read next. I really fancy getting into the classics (Sense and Sensibility, Great Expectations, A Tale of Two Cities etc) partially because i've found them in waterstones in beautiful cloth bound covers but also because these books are mentioned and quoted in so many other books, its made me curious. (Like Will always quoting a Tale of Two Cities to Tessa) but i'm not sure how well i'll do with them. Im more of a scifi/fanatsy/YA fan and i don't want to end up with a book i have to abandon. Have you read any that you could recommend that aren't too difficult?  

Set your self a goal for next year  :smile:

I thought it was a bit of a commitment reading the whole series without any gaps (bar book no.6 which is out next year) as i like to have alot of variety and i have so much i want to read but i can honestly say i've demolished every book and have read pretty much the first 4 in 4 weeks which isnt bad as they aren't what id class as short!

x

That's pretty quick :)!

Just seen you have reviewed City of Fallen Angels and I havent read it yet as I'm getting through the first book in the series. You'll be pleased to know I am loving it and so pleased that I have others to read afterwards :)

Aww yay, im so glad your enjoying  :D id have felt bad if you didn't considering my gleaming reviews :giggle2:  

Hi Shelley, just thought I'd chip in! Nice review of City of Fallen Angels - I read the first three in the series a couple of years ago and have this on my shelf ready to read. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. :)

Totally agree that the Infernal Devices are a must-read for anyone who enjoys the Mortal Instruments - in my opinion they're even better. :D

Hi Shelley, just thought I'd chip in! Nice review of City of Fallen Angels - I read the first three in the series a couple of years ago and have this on my shelf ready to read. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. :)

Totally agree that the Infernal Devices are a must-read for anyone who enjoys the Mortal Instruments - in my opinion they're even better. :D

Thanks  :smile:

I totally agree, i think i prefer Infernal Devices, however i am really excited to read the big finale in book 6 of The Mortal Instruments. I wonder if there will be a new series bought out after!

Thanks  :smile:

I totally agree, i think i prefer Infernal Devices, however i am really excited to read the big finale in book 6 of The Mortal Instruments. I wonder if there will be a new series bought out after!

I think I'll have to wait till next year, buy the last two, and then read them all at once (although given the length of my TBR it will probably happen in about 2018 . . .). Another series would be nice: she's done historical, and modern . . . I wonder if she'd do something set in the future? :)

I think I'll have to wait till next year, buy the last two, and then read them all at once (although given the length of my TBR it will probably happen in about 2018 . . .). Another series would be nice: she's done historical, and modern . . . I wonder if she'd do something set in the future? :)

Yeh i totally pushed everything aside to read them all at once, its been worth it but im also looking forward to reading something new now 

City of lost souls by Cassandra Clare

About the book (Amazon)

Clary and the Shadowhunters struggle to piece together their shattered world after a betrayal by one of their own leaves them reeling.

My Thoughts

This is the 5th book in the Mortal Instruments series and again another great installment. There's so much going on in this book, the relationships between most each of the couples are growing and moving forward but for others its breaking down, the battle against Sebastian is still raging, Camille jeopardizes the relationship between Alec and Magnus, the Seelie Queen betrays the clave, angels and demons rise and Clary as always is still putting herself in the line of fire. I really enjoyed this book, its at a faster pace again compared to The City of fallen angels and the intensity is all set up for what i believe is the last installment next year.    

• 2 weeks later...

Frankinstein/The Modern Prometheus by Mary Shelley 3/5

About the book (Amazon)

Begun when the author was only eighteen and conceived from a nightmare, Frankenstein is the deeply disturbing story of a monstrous creation which has terrified and chilled readers since its first publication in 1818. The novel has thus seared its way into the popular imagination while establishing itself as one of the pioneering works of modern science fiction.

My Thoughts.

So i've heard a lot about Frankenstein, we all know the moaning green monstrous man that has bolts in his neck and the top of his head sewed on right? Wrong! This book is nothing like the film, i was completely surprised to find that firstly the monster isn't even called Frankenstein, that was his creator but the monster him self is never referred to by that name, secondly he isn't green and neither is he described as the figure we are all familiar with. Very surprising! Despite the 3/5 i did really enjoy this book, the problem i found was probably more so the time of year that i've read it. Its a very depressing read, all throughout the character is mostly in a state of devastation, regret and in an ill state of mind. His depression got a tiny bit tedious to read when its nearly christmas and supposed to be a happy festive time, because it was pretty much relentless. There wasnt exactly a happy ending either. I read a 1900's version of the book and have to say i really love the elaborate style of writing, whilst it took longer to read i do occasionally enjoy a book that has some age about it. All in all a good read but not one for such a festive time of year  

I hope everyone had a fantastic Christmas! Hopefully everyone managed to avoid the floodings too!

Just a quick note of the books received for Christmas:

Project Cain by Geoffrey Girard

Iron King by Julia Kagawa

The wind-up bird chronical by Haruki Murakami

The Elites by Natasha Ngan

Im looking forward to making a 2014 thread  :D