Shelleys 2013 reading list

shelley.s

The Land of Decoration by Grace Mc Cleen ~ Rate 4/5

About the book (Amazon)

Judith doesn't have much. The house she shares with her devoutly religious father is full of dusty relics, reminders of the mother Judith never knew. Bullied at school, she finds comfort in creating a miniature world in her bedroom - a world of wonder she calls The Land of Decoration. Perhaps, she thinks, if she makes it snow in The Land of Decoration there will be no school on Monday.

Sure enough, when Judith opens her curtains the next day, the world beyond her window has turned white.

And that's when her troubles begin.

My thoughts

I thought this book was fantastic. Judith is such a strong character and you desperately want things to work out for her.  Her trials and tribulations feel so real and the author has raised lots of things religion wise that i found quite thought provoking. Its a real down wards spiral and i found really quite sad but a really good read. Only thing i would say is that the boys who torment Judith seem to do things I would never expect a 10 year old to know let alone do so its a bit hard to believe some of the things or maybe i too am sadly as naive as poor Judith. I hope 10 year olds dont do those things in the real world though!  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake ~ Rate 4/5

About the book (Amazon)

Cas Lowood is no ordinary guy - he hunts dead people.
People like Anna. Anna Dressed in Blood. A beautiful, murderous ghost entangled in curses and rage. Cas knows he must destroy her, but as her tragic past is revealed, he starts to understand why Anna has killed everyone who's ever dared to enter her spooky home.

Everyone, that is, except Cas...

My Thoughts

I loved this book, it was fabulously creepy and very gory. Its still a YA novel though and I did enjoy that. I thought this book was better than a few adult ghost novels i've read so its really worth a read if you like the genre or YA novels. I will defiantly read the next book! I love the trio of main characters and they fit together so well, i hope there's more character development in the next book.  

• 1 month later...

Watership Down by Richard Adams ~ 5/5

About the book (Amazon) 

Fiver could sense danger. Something terrible was going to happen to the warren - he felt sure of it. So did his brother Hazel, for Fiver's sixth sense was never wrong. They had to leave immediately, and they had to persuade the other rabbits to join them. And so begins a long and perilous journey of a small band of rabbits in search of a safe home. Fiver's vision finally leads them to Watership Down, but here they face their most difficult challenge of all . . .

My Thoughts

I thought this was such an endearing read and so wonderfully told. Whilst the characters are rabbits they are so well written and the anthropomorphism makes them so real that you almost forget that the story is not being told about a group of people which makes it that bit more powerful. I loved this book, if your looking for something different (a book told through the eyes of an animal) this is a must read. The trials and tribulations have you on tenterhooks and always hoping for the best. It really was a good read. 

Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake ~ 3/5

Cas Lowood is no ordinary ghost hunter - he's in love with a dead girl.

Her name is Anna Korlov. Anna Dressed in Blood. The girl who sacrificed herself to save his life. Racked with guilt, Cas sets out to do what he does best - hunt a ghost. But this time his aim is not to kill. He must rescue Anna from the depths of Hell.

But Hell is also home to a creature Cas has battled before...

Just your average boy meets girl, girls gets sucked into hell story.

My Thoughts

This is the second book to Anna Dressed in Blood. I again i did enjoyed it, not as much as the first book though. Its less scary and intense than the previous book and its not as gory either but it was an ok ending and i did want to finish the story seeing as the previous book was good. There wasn't much of a wow factor to the ending really, i was sad to see the end of Anna because she was such a powerful character and she was so built up that i thought there maybe more to her but i didn't care as much for the others so i did get the 'good bye' feeling when i finished the book like i normally do when i read something anf get really attached to them, maybe the story was just too short, i think it would have been better if it was a trilogy and slighter more padded out. Hey ho!  

Edited by shelley.s

Just a note to say ive changed my rating to out of 5. Everywhere else that i review my books are out of 5 so seems easier to keep it all the same. Anyway I've finished the Time Machine, heres my review

Time Machine by H G Wells ~ Rate 4/5

About the book (Amazon)

When a Victorian scientist propels himself into the year 802,701 AD, he is initially delighted to find that suffering has been replaced by beauty, contentment and peace. Entranced at first by the Eloi, an elfin species descended from man, he soon realises that this beautiful people are simply remnants of a once-great culture - now weak and childishly afraid of the dark. But they have every reason to be afraid: in deep tunnels beneath their paradise lurks another race descended from humanity - the sinister Morlocks. And when the scientist's time machine vanishes, it becomes clear he must search these tunnels, if he is ever to return to his own era.

My Thoughts

I really really liked this book, it was short and sweet and i loved it. It keeps you gripped and reading despite it being so short. I flew through it enjoyed every moment but didn't have that disappointment when i released id come to the end (it looks longer because of the notes at the back) as i found it was rounded off nicely (as i also found with The Isldand of Dr. Moreau) Defiantly will be reading more Wells this year!   

Wells is great reading. I first read his work when I was in my early teens and I yummed them up. Hope you enjoy the others!

Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare ~5/5

About the book (Amazon)

If the only way to save the world was to destroy what you loved most, would you do it? The clock is ticking. Everyone must choose. Passion. Power. Secrets. Enchantment. Danger closes in around the Shadowhunters in the third and final instalment of the bestselling Infernal Devices trilogy.

My Thoughts

This is the last book in the Infernal Devices trilogy, i've loved each book the whole way through and this book was just the most perfect ending to the series. Im so sad that the story is over because i really grew to love the characters, through each book they felt more real and became so much more developed. It completely delivered the stone through the heart effect when you realize how the ending pans out, its just fab. This book gave me the same feeling as when iread harry potter for the first time when i was about 11, took me right back to remembering why i love books so much. If your a YA fantasy fan, promise me you'll read it!  

Edited by shelley.s

So glad you enjoyed Watership Down, it's a wonderful book.

It really is. I think the knowledge of rabbits in it is also impeccable! Having house rabbits myself i can easily associate with the actions of the bunnies. I really have to find another gem like this, maybe i'll read Wind in the Willows now too

Wells is great reading. I first read his work when I was in my early teens and I yummed them up. Hope you enjoy the others!

Which Wells book do you think is the best? Ive been looking reading another but im not sure if the others grab me as much. I wanted another old classic to read next so ive gone for The Purple Cloud by M P Shiel. I'll start that one shortly so fingers crossed its as good as my recent reads. I have a very eclectic taste but anything Fantasy/scifi/YA generally interests me 

The Cassandra Clare on my kindle, so I am completely delighted that you think it is a good one. :readingtwo:   :D

I hadn't realised it was the last in the series though. That's a shame, as I have really enjoyed these atmospheric Victorians! 

The Cassandra Clare on my kindle, so I am completely delighted that you think it is a good one. :readingtwo:   :D

I hadn't realised it was the last in the series though. That's a shame, as I have really enjoyed these atmospheric Victorians!

Ditto, i need more! Totally loving Victorian steampunk too! Sorry that was supposed to read Clockwork Princess not Angel! Clockwork Angel is the first book then its Clockwork Prince. I thought they were fab  :D  really sad its finished haha... need to get out more  :giggle2:

Edited by shelley.s

Which Wells book do you think is the best? Ive been looking reading another but im not sure if the others grab me as much. I wanted another old classic to read next so ive gone for The Purple Cloud by M P Shiel. I'll start that one shortly so fingers crossed its as good as my recent reads. I have a very eclectic taste but anything Fantasy/scifi/YA generally interests me 

Definitely go for War of the Worlds - you couldn't get more classic (nor Victorian!) than that. It's brilliant. :readingtwo:

Definitely go for War of the Worlds - you couldn't get more classic (nor Victorian!) than that. It's brilliant. :readingtwo:

Awesome thanks Mac, i will most certainly read War of the worlds, i think i'll read it next actually. Just need to decide on what cover I want haha. The cover has been re-illustrated so many times!  

I also liked The Time Machine by H. G. Wells, might have to get hold of some of his other books too.

Watership Down is on my TBR, glad to hear you liked it.

The first book of the Cassandra Clare series you mentioned is on my wishlist, glad to hear you like it. It sounds like it might like it. :)

I also liked The Time Machine by H. G. Wells, might have to get hold of some of his other books too.

Yeah, both The War of the Worlds and The Time Machine are fantastic, and so is The Island of Doctor Moreau :smile:

I'm pleased to see good words for both The Time Machine and War of the Worlds as I downloaded free copies onto my Kindle a couple of weeks ago.  Looking forward to them now :smile2:

I must admit, I'm a few books behind with the Cassandra Clare series - I've yet to read City of Lost Souls and I've only read the first in the Infernal Devices series, but I intend to rectify that when I go on holiday later in the year, as I read the first one while away a few years ago, and it was great holiday reading.

I'm pleased to see good words for both The Time Machine and War of the Worlds as I downloaded free copies onto my Kindle a couple of weeks ago.  Looking forward to them now :smile2:

I must admit, I'm a few books behind with the Cassandra Clare series - I've yet to read City of Lost Souls and I've only read the first in the Infernal Devices series, but I intend to rectify that when I go on holiday later in the year, as I read the first one while away a few years ago, and it was great holiday reading.

I haven't actually read The Mortal Instruments and in a way i wish i had because i do think they are slightly linked and there's a back story that would have added to The Infernal Devices so i've heard. Let me know when you finish them soi can ask some questions as i dont want to accidentally spoil anything for you!

• 4 weeks later...

The Purple Cloud by M P Shiel ~ 2/5

About the book (Amazon)

The Purple Cloud tells the grandly bleak story of Adam Jeffson: the first man to reach the North Pole and the last man left alive on earth. A sweet-smelling, deadly cloud of poisonous gas has devastated the world, and as Jeffson travels the stricken globe in search of human life, he slowly succumbs to madness, and unleashes fire and destruction on his planet.

My Thoughts

This book could have been so good. The concept was great and i appreciate the time period that it was written in but geeze its boring at times. It took a month, yes a whole month to read this book, if it took out half of the the repetitive words it would have been half the length! I know repetition is good for emphasis but this was over board. I found i was getting to a few really good pages then to be met by 20 odd boring ones which i couldnt of cared less about and it added nothing to the story, this author loves pointless padding! Its far to over descriptive in places and you find your self just willing the book to get shorter so its out of the way. The 2 star is mainly for the concept and i actually managed to finish it but i wouldn't recommend it as i would with other classics.    

• 2 weeks later...

War of the worlds by H G Wells ~ Rate 3/5

About the book (Amazon)

Published in 1898 and never out of print since that time, 'The War of the Worlds' is one of the most influential science fiction novels ever written, and the seminal work for all the many 'alien invasion' tales that have followed. The amazing products of Wells' prodigious imagination - death rays, mobile weapons-platforms, flying machines (all unheard of in his day) - have proved wonderfully, and hideously, prophetic. Given today's advances in space exploration and the discovery of earth-like planets orbiting other stars, the author's vision of evil, conquering aliens continues to strike a chord of terror in modern minds.

My Thoughts

I liked this book, i didn't enjoy it as much as The Time Machine or Island of Dr Moreau though. I think i had high expectations because i've seen 'the film' and it was a surprise to find out the book was nothing like the film at all so was expecting a much more in depth story. It was good but i did prefer the story in the film sadly. 

Im currently eating my way through Nod by Adrian Barnes, loving it! I started reading it yesterday and am just under half way through. Really dont know what to read next though! Fancy another fantasy like The Infernal Devices or Daughter of Smoke and Bone...

Nod by Adrian Barnes ~ Rate 4/5

About the book (Amazon)

Dawn breaks over Vancouver and no-one in the world has slept the night before, or almost no-one. A few people, perhaps one in ten thousand can still sleep, and they've all had the same strange, golden dream. A handful of children still sleep as well, but what they're dreaming remains a mystery. After six days of absolute sleep deprivation, psychosis will set in. After four weeks, the body will die. In the interim, panic ensues and a bizarre new world arises in which those previously on the fringes of society take the lead. One couple experience a lifetime in a week as he continues to sleep , she begins to disintegrate before him, and the new world swallows the old one whole...NOD

My Thoughts

I don't really know how to rate this book! It was unputdownable. I literally wanted to keep reading it but sadly finished it after just 3 days, i wish it was longer. I thought the idea was fantastic and i thought the characters were so believe despite the circumstances, I think Paul, the main protagonist, balanced out wacky crack pot Charles so well and the whole story built up perfectly. The slight problem i have is the ending. Nothing, literally nothing was explained. No reason as to why Nod occurred  why there were sleepers and non-sleepers or what happened to the children or even Paul. I can see how an ambiguous ending would have fitted like a glove if a little bit more had been explained but it was like a brake neck speed wacky roller coaster that sort of tipped you off at the ending into a never ending abyss. In a way i liked it because it was its nice to be left thinking damn i wanted more, its a sign of a good book but at the same time i did have so many unanswered questions. Depending on what kind of reader you are and because of the ending you'll either think the book is genius or you'll think its badly written. I'm on the genius side for now although that ending will certainly annoy alot of people!      

Edited by shelley.s