Super Bowl - Football U.S. style

muggle not

The Super Bowl will be played tomorrow, Sunday, in the U.S..

besides the game itself, the commercials are usually the best of the entire year. What was your favorite commercial that was  played during the broadcast? Duh, you can't list it until after the game.

I'm a big fan of the NFL so I shall be watching the game. We don't get to see the commercials over here but they do have them on the NFL website to view the next day.

As for the game, I want the Ravens to win as it will be the perfect send off for Ray Lewis but I think that the 49ers might prove too much for them.

Hi guys

It really doesn't matter to us which team wins. We really haven't kept up with football the past few years like we used to ,but cheering for Baltimore in our area would probably get you in hot water . It seems Cleveland has 2 "ENEMY" teams-- Baltimore and the Steelers .

Some people in our area have actually started cheering for the Steelers since Cleveland has been notoriously bad for so many years . It's hard to keep cheering for a team that rarely EVER wins .

I saw the part where Ray Lewis was wanting to win so badly,before he retires. Waddya think about the rumor he was using some type of a derivative from DEER ANTLERS to help him play better ? That's a new one, I've never heard of them using that as a game enhancer. Can't say I'd wanna try it . Your nose might start lighting up everytime you saw a man with a white beard .   :dunno:

Yeah, the Steelers and Browns have always been fierce rivals. My team has always been the Steelers.

The Steelers, of course, never needed any enhancers. Not when they use the Immaculate Reception in their repertoire. :)

Edited by muggle not

I'm a big fan of the NFL so I shall be watching the game. We don't get to see the commercials over here but they do have them on the NFL website to view the next day.

As for the game, I want the Ravens to win as it will be the perfect send off for Ray Lewis but I think that the 49ers might prove too much for them.

My thoughts too Brian. I'll definitely be watching (and yawning the next day!). The Ravens aren't my team, but I do like them, so as soon as my team didn't make the playoffs they were my desired pick for the Superbowl. I really didn't think they'd get this far, and getting beaten by the 49ers wouldn't hold any shame, but I do hope they go all the way. 

Did I read somewhere that the team's coaches are brothers?

Yes, Jim Harbaugh is the coach of the San Francisco 49'ers and John Harbaugh is coach of the Baltimore Ravens.

it is estimated that 90 million people watch each 30 second commercial. Commercials cost 4 million for a 30 second time slot. ;)

Gee, how did I do that. Sorry poppy, didn't mean to talk for you. :)

Edited by muggle not

it is estimated that 90 million people watch each 30 second commercial. Commercials cost 4 million for a 30 second time slot. ;)

Gee, how did I do that. Sorry poppy, didn't mean to talk for you. :)

I'm wounded, that's what I am, wounded to the quick :drama:   ;)

Yeah, the Steelers and Browns have always been fierce rivals. My team has always been the Steelers.

The Steelers, of course, never needed any enhancers. Not when they use the Immaculate Reception in their repertoire. :) 

OK, someone's got to ask .....what in the world is an Immaculate Reception????

I'll leave that answer to Muggle, since I've never heard that phrase! :giggle: 

And yes, the coaches from both the 49ers and Ravens are brothers, so that's pretty cool!

My team won't be playing the Bowl, AGAIN, but I might watch a bit of the game.  I'm cheering for the Ravens because one of their players, Matt Birk, used to play for us so I'll support him :D.  I'm mostly going to be watching the Puppy Bowl though.  It's so cute!  I believe it's on the Animal Planet channel and it's just a few hours of watching little pupplies playing on a miniature football field, and the halftime show is a bunch of kittens tearing around and playing as cats do.  I'm sure you can see it online too!

I'm wounded, that's what I am, wounded to the quick :drama:   ;)

OK, someone's got to ask .....what in the world is an Immaculate Reception????

Ok, you can read about the most famous play in Football:  :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immaculate_Reception

Edited by muggle not

Ok, you can read about the most famous play in Football:  :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immaculate_Reception

Uh huh :blink: Well I did ask :D

Gad Zooks!

Don't worry poppy, I don't unnerstand it mahself!

And, frankly my dear......./clearing throat/ :P

On the Immaculate Reception ( and MIND YOU, this is coming from an old lady who doesn't know all the football terminolgy,who is also a hillbilly),but here is the play by play in Old Lady Hillbilly Terms :

In the years preceding this one, Pittsburgh had many losing seasons,but they had assembled a good team who was getting better . 

The year this event happened,they had a great quarterback, Terry Bradshaw . He's the guy who throws the ball . It was Christmas day I think ..

They were playing against the Oakland Raiders who were notoriously known for their rough plays, sometimes pushing the envelope too far on the rules, etc,just to win..

They had a few seconds left on the clock, Oakland was winnning 7 - 6 . Pittsburg was on 4th down,so they had nothing to lose by trying to go for a touchdown .This would be their last chance to score .They either score or lose .

Terry throws the ball way downfield ,it looks like it is headed straight for an Oakland player. Had he caught it,the game would have ended with an Oakland win . You can watch the video a gazillion times and it's really hard to see what happens next.

it seemed to bounce off his hands . 2 Steelers players "sandwich" him,the balls slips out of his hands, bounces through the air off another player,and Franco Harris (Pittsburgh player) catches the ball as it bounces off these other players, runs it in for a touchdown and wins the game for Pittsburgh. 

Terry Bradshaw was (and still is) quite a flamboyant character. He was also known for talking smack to get his team hyped up and make the other team mad .. kinda like the Muhammid Ali of the football world .

Anyhow, they named this play the Immmaculate Reception,mainy because the ball came out of nowhere,and into Franco's hands, so he was able to run right into the end zone and win the game for them.It's been a very controversial play,people still say the ball touched the ground before Franco grabbed it,but it doesn't look like it . Here 's a short video clip of it. Quite entertaining, even if you know nothing about football .

http://youtu.be/_BR9kIcS9tQ

To put it in simpler terms - Pittsburgh won the game. :) :) :)

I just don't get american footie....they never kick it...lol. Enjoy all you folk across the big sea though...may your team win!

Actually, they do, sometimes. It's apparently called a field goal. And they also kick it for one extra point after a touchdown. That's why those goal posters are there. No goalkeeper though. ;) 

I did watch the entire thing. It's a huge event, which gets me interested. Also liked that the arena is called "The Superdome". 

While watching, I read the rules of the sport on Wikipedia, cause as a typical European, I have never understood American football. So NOW I know. It's actually not as boring as I first thought. But one problem I have is ALL THE FRICKING PAUSES!!!!!!!!!!!! One quarter takes about an hour to play for crying out loud!!!!! Throw the ball, run, get tackled, and PAUSE. And then repeat the whole thing. 

Beyonce´s halftime show was terrific. LOVED seeing her Destiny's Child pals join her. Kelly & Michelle could handle it, but the Superdome lights could apparently not. How can it take half an hour to get the lights back on????? I bet someone will be fired today. 

I rooted for the Baltimore Ravens. I think I did because of their name.... Had to choose one team to root for afterall. And when the New York Giants wasn't playing.... (I have it in my head that the Giants are my favorite NFL team). 

Ive been watching the NFL since the about 1992 and I found that the best way to learn the rules is to pick it up a bit at a time as you go on. It's a bit like trying to learn all the intricacies of test cricket in a few hours, it's near impossible. It's also one of those sports that you need to have some understanding of to enjoy.

I didn't have a strong favorite in the game (mine, the Steelers, didn't make it this year) but I was glad to see Baltimore win.

For the Ads, this was voted as the most liked but for me, I wasn't as impressed this year as I am most years when the ads are outstanding:

The Best Ads

For Making Us Feel So Good, We Cry – Budweiser’s Clydesdale
Budweiser may have had one of the worst ads of the big game, but oh boy did they redeem themselves with this instant classic. Not a word was spoken in this spot, but the images of a horse and a man who raised him, coupled with a perfectly matched Stevie Nicks' song, made this ad stand out among the crowd. Need proof? Six people, including two guys, teared up during the ad. Why? Because the group –- men and women both -- loved the emotion of simple story communicated with powerful visuals married to a memorable and moving song. Honorable Mention: Jeep’s Vets Come Home.

I LOVED the Budweiser horse ad!!!!! Teared up. 

Didn't like Alicia Keys' version of the national anthem, and I did not get her choice of clothes.

I think Cher did it best in 1999. It was so powerful with the fireworks at just the right time. 

On the Immaculate Reception ( and MIND YOU, this is coming from an old lady who doesn't know all the football terminolgy,who is also a hillbilly),but here is the play by play in Old Lady Hillbilly Terms :

In the years preceding this one, Pittsburgh had many losing seasons,but they had assembled a good team who was getting better . 

The year this event happened,they had a great quarterback, Terry Bradshaw . He's the guy who throws the ball . It was Christmas day I think ..

They were playing against the Oakland Raiders who were notoriously known for their rough plays, sometimes pushing the envelope too far on the rules, etc,just to win..

They had a few seconds left on the clock, Oakland was winnning 7 - 6 . Pittsburg was on 4th down,so they had nothing to lose by trying to go for a touchdown .This would be their last chance to score .They either score or lose .

Terry throws the ball way downfield ,it looks like it is headed straight for an Oakland player. Had he caught it,the game would have ended with an Oakland win . You can watch the video a gazillion times and it's really hard to see what happens next.

it seemed to bounce off his hands . 2 Steelers players "sandwich" him,the balls slips out of his hands, bounces through the air off another player,and Franco Harris (Pittsburgh player) catches the ball as it bounces off these other players, runs it in for a touchdown and wins the game for Pittsburgh. 

Terry Bradshaw was (and still is) quite a flamboyant character. He was also known for talking smack to get his team hyped up and make the other team mad .. kinda like the Muhammid Ali of the football world .

Anyhow, they named this play the Immmaculate Reception,mainy because the ball came out of nowhere,and into Franco's hands, so he was able to run right into the end zone and win the game for them.It's been a very controversial play,people still say the ball touched the ground before Franco grabbed it,but it doesn't look like it . Here 's a short video clip of it. Quite entertaining, even if you know nothing about football .

To put it in simpler terms - Pittsburgh won the game. :) :) :)

You explained that so clearly Julie! (and I've just learned that the quarterback throws the ball) :)

Ok, here is the Budweiser Ad with the Clydesdales. It really is pretty good and worth watching. Turn your sound on:

What a heart-warming ad. That's lovely *sniff sniff*

Edited by poppy