What subgenre of crime fiction do you prefer?

emelee

What crime subgenre do you prefer?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What crime fiction subgenre do you prefer?

• Whodunit
    • Hardboiled
    • Police procedural
    • Thriller

What subgenre of crime fiction do you prefer of these?

Whodunit? (Sherlock Holmes, Poirot, Miss Marple......)

Hardboiled? (Philip Marlowe, Race Williams....)
Police procedural? (Kurt Wallander, Ed McBain novels, Harry Bosch)
Thriller? (Lisbet Salander, Alex Cross, Kay Scarpetta...)

Maybe it's my lack of general knowledge, but what's "hardboiled" and "police procedural" :blush:? I don't recognise the authors you've written down for these two. Choosing between "thriller" and "whodunit" it'd have to be "whodunit" for me these days, though back when I was a teenager I was more into "thrillers".

Maybe it's my lack of general knowledge, but what's "hardboiled" and "police procedural" :blush:? I don't recognise the authors you've written down for these two. Choosing between "thriller" and "whodunit" it'd have to be "whodunit" for me these days, though back when I was a teenager I was more into "thrillers".

I didn't write down authors, I wrote characters from crime series. 

Hardboiled crime fiction is critical of society. The crime solver is often a cynical loner fighting against what he feels is wrong in the world, like corruption, but he can take the law into his own hands. No need for happy endings in hardboiled crime fiction, and has more action than a whodunit novel.

Police procedurals - as the name implies, follows the police as they investigate the crime. The focus is on the cop, often a divorced man with some problems in life, like a health issue. The focus is on the police work, trying to solve the crime. The main character is often in a leading position, like team leader of the group. They are often critical of society and the police work is often as realistic as the writer can make it. 

Oops :blush: Thanks!

I don't think I've read any police procedural novels, it sounds interesting. Hardboiled sounds allright too. I'm not too keen on too much action between a killer and the main character, but as long as there's a good story some action is fine.

I don't read much mainstream crime fiction, but the books I do read tend to be more quirky, either in that they are comic and humorous (Jasper Fforde, M. C. Beaton), historical (Gyles Brandreth's Oscar Wilde Mysteries), or YA (Ally Carter, Meg Cabot) and I doubt if many of them would usually be categorised as crime but other people!

I prefer hardboiled and whondunit (I also hate the word, Bree) mysteries. I'm not really into police procedurals—I've never read one and they don't really interest me. I enjoyed the first of the Stieg Larsson books, so I could get into more thrillers if I had the time.

Well.  I voted for whodunit, but truth be told, I could have voted for all of them.  At one time or the other, I've enjoyed all of them.

I think a combination of some of the subgenres would be the best of the best.