Your Book Activity ~ February 2013

Kylie

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my reads from last year and I found it the same Brian.

I just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. Oh my! What a fantastic and emotional book.

I am reading Me Before You by JoJo Moyes. I was finding it a bit of a slow start, but no on to the next part and it has had a little twist to it, I wasn't expecting.

Edited by Inver

Inver, I read Me Before You last year and loved it. I was very surprised by how much I enjoyed it. :smile:

Now reading Elizabeth Street by Laurie Fabiano, and really enjoying it so far. I love the descriptions of early New York.

I give a big satisfied sigh of reading contentment as I turn the final page in 'The Woman Who Died A Lot' by Jasper Fforde.

I adore the Thursday Next series, and this is the latest for me to read. My brain may go a little whirry at times, and I occasionally had to close the book, leave the room and do a mundane task for a while too help things sink in, but it was so worth it. Mr Fforde, I do like your way of thinking! :D

The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende... Good so far, if a little strange... :)

I've wanted to read this for a long time but I've been intimidated by it for some reason... I think maybe it looks like a really long read? I should take a look at my copy again. I think the print's rather small in my copy. I hope you are continuing to enjoy it? I saw parts of the movie ages ago and it was one of those movies I didn't start watching from the beginning, but caught bits and pieces and then couldn't keep away from it, I felt really drawn to the story :)

I stayed up to finish The Power Of One  Bryce Courtenay last night, great read but quite a big book so i've gone for something lighter for my next book  The Case Of The Gilded Fly  Edmund Crispin  :D 

I can't wait to see what you thought of The Power of One! I should go and see if you've reviewed it already :)

I'm almost done with A Tenderness of Wolves, I've got less than 100 pages. I would of already finished it but due to poor health, it's taken me awhile.

I'm sorry to hear you've not been feeling so good lately :empathy:  I hope you get better soon!

Will be starting with The House on Mango Street - a coming-of-age novel of a Latina girl - by Mexican-American writer Sandra Cisneros.

I can't wait to see what you think of this! It was on one of our literature courses, but I  think we only read some parts of it and not the whole thing, it was only a few months ago when I came across the title and thought I should read the whole book :)

I'm 109 pages into Marathon Man :smile:

That's quick going! I'm rather nervous about how you're liking it.

I started reading The Psychopath Test, so far so good.

Completed The House on Mango Street last night - it was almost poetic! Wonderful read!

Have picked up The African Queen by C.S. Forester to read next.

I've finished reading Tom Raabe - Biblioholism: The Literary Addiction (see my reading topic for thoughts) and will soon start Diane Chamberlain - Breaking The Silence.

In book news, I've ordered my Kindle (so should have it in a while)!

Restarted Lady Chatterley's Lover this morning so I can mark pages that mention anything to do with social class for my next literature essay. And gotten further into The Farm. I stopped just as a good part was about to start so I can't wait to find out what will happen.

What a splendid read The African Queen is turning out to be!

Something about the cover, and the small font, had made me brace myself for a sombre read.

Granted I've still read less than half the book but it's been hugely entertaining so far.

I find myself chuckling and grinning almost every other page.

I should watch the film after I complete reading it!

A few night's ago I read more of The Psychopath Test but when I started reading it the next night, I couldn't remember at all what I'd read the previous night :( I don't know if I can get into it anymore. I tried reading Therapy by Fitzek last night, didn't get into that, and then I started reading a doggy book, but fell asleep. I feel like I've temporarily lost my modjo :(

I downloaded a couple free ebooks onto my Kobo last night so I now need to read:

• The Emperor's Edge - Lindsay Buroker
  • Double Trouble - Claire Cross and Deborah Cooke
  • NightDrake - Lara Adrian

So they should be interesting to get into eventually.

I feel like I've temporarily lost my modjo :(

Oh noes! Do you have an old favourite that you can pick up? I find that usually helps me out.

I'm loving Elizabeth Street; I wish I'd read it back in 2011 when I bought it!

A few night's ago I read more of The Psychopath Test but when I started reading it the next night, I couldn't remember at all what I'd read the previous night :( I don't know if I can get into it anymore. I tried reading Therapy by Fitzek last night, didn't get into that, and then I started reading a doggy book, but fell asleep. I feel like I've temporarily lost my modjo :(

Oh noes! Do you have an old favourite that you can pick up? I find that usually helps me out.

I'm loving Elizabeth Street; I wish I'd read it back in 2011 when I bought it!

frankie, I agree with bobblybear 's suggestion - perhaps a re-read of a light favourite would help?

(For me Wodehouse usually works)

:empathy:

Finished The Fifth Child Doris Lessing.  Great book, although the ending seemed kind of sudden.  I'll have to look for some more of hers.

There's a sequel called Ben, In the World.  Good book also, though I enjoyed the first one more.

Woohoo! Finally finished The Tenderness of Wolves! I've never felt so conflicted with a book like this before! I'll write down my thoughts during the day, then write a mini review.

I'll be starting The Stand next!

Edited by Devi