Your Book Activity ~ February 2013

Kylie

Mine is the same as yours I think, Alexi, translated by Ernest Dowson. However, mine wasn't free on the Kindle, it was £2.05. I've downloaded a sample of the Penguin Edition, and I'll see if it's much different. I hope so....and I don't think it could be any worse than the current version. :giggle:

Alexi, I think you've managed to read further than me - I'm only up to page 44, and every few pages turns I keep pressing Menu to see how far I have gotten. That's never a good sign, is it? :giggle2:

Alexi, just to add - you can return your Kindle purchase for a refund within 7 days of purchase.  I've just missed my window but it's good to know for future reference.

Edited to add: Oh, for goodness sakes, I've just downloaded the sample and it only contains the editors preface. Nevermind though, I've taken the plunge and bought the new version. Fingers crossed I find it an easier read.

Further edit: I can tell already from the first letter that it's a far easier read than the Ernest Dowson translation. Thanks chesilbeach!! :flowers2:

Edited by bobblybear

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha I'm doing the same thing! I resent spending £6 on a book I already own though, especially when I'm not enjoying it much (even if the new purchase might aid that!) when it could be spent on new books.

Dilemmas. I will be interesting to compare translations in the reading circle thread though and see if they affected opinions - assuming more than us three read it after this brilliant encouragement! :lol:

I finished Agnes Grey  Anne Bronte which i enjoyed but not as much as The Tenant Of Wildfell Hall . I've made a start on Cloud atlas  David Mitchell hoping to get through this quite quickly as i want to go see the movie.

Just finished the Mistborn Trilogy. Will have a review up on my blog within the next day or so. Got a bit tedious towards the end but I had to increase the font size on my Kobo so one page fit into 3 on my Kobo so thought I was further in than I really was. xD

Flu sucks - hope you feel better soon. :friends0:

Ugh!  Hope you feel mo'bettah verra soon!

Ah take plenty of fluids and rest frankie - hope you feel better soon  :friends0:

Three of the books I ordered were cancelled - as they're having trouble importing them.

So, I'll have to wait a while before I read Dangerous Liaisons, The Lions of Al-Rassan and Kafka on The Shore

Thanks gals, I'm feeling a bit better now. I'm still staying in bed but otherwise I'm doing pretty okay. Just a lot of snot issues :D

Bree, I'm so sory about the cancellations :( I hope you get the books as quick as possible!

I'm still reading David Mitchell's Back Story. It's very good, and I like the humour. I've never watched Peep Show or That Mitchell and Webb Look, but I do like him on panel shows like QI and Would I Lie To You?, and I can see the same humour from those in the book. :D

I would recommend you try Peep Show, it's great :smile2:

I finished Disordered Minds by Minette Walters last night and started Dangerous Liaisons and I'm about 60 pages in. I'm so happy chesil started talking about different editions, it's quite awful to think some translation can be that much more difficult to read than another! :o  I'm happy that you're coping a lot better with the book now, bobblybear and Alexi :D

And I'm really happy that I'm reading a Finnish copy :blush::giggle2: I've had no problems with the book, whatsoever, and I'm really enjoying it.

The Penguin translation of Dangerous Liasions is so much better! I'm only about 10 letters in but I've already picked up on 3 or 4 subtleties that just got lost in the other translation.

That's great, bobblybear! :)  I'd like to hear what you missed with the first copy you were reading later when we discuss the book in the thread, if that's okay and you still remember them :)

Thanks gals, I'm feeling a bit better now. I'm still staying in bed but otherwise I'm doing pretty okay. Just a lot of snot issues :D

Didn't know you were ill Frankie but glad to hear your on the mend now & it hasn't stopped you reading :flowers2:

I've made a start on Cloud atlas & i think i'm going to like it but need to read a sizeable chunk so i can get into the story properly

I've finished reading Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (some thoughts are in my topic) and am now doubting whether to start Mockingjay or Marley & Me. I've also just received my Kindle so I'll probably be busy fiddling with that too.

I'm also getting on much better with Dangerous Liaisons since I started the penguin translation! However, although I tried to go back I found it too dull, with largely having read the same only a few days ago, so I began at the point where I left off with the dreadful Ernest Dowson translation.

I've started reading The Magician King by Lev Grossman, and I'm also reading the novella The New Hunger, a prequel to Warm Bodies. Hoping to get both done by the end of Thursday to hit my 8-book/month target!

Glad you're better frankie  :friends3:

I've just completed the first of the three parts of Villette - and am enjoying it.

Also discovered a little library here - with a few hundred books - need to explore it further - and if all goes well I hope to be reading books from there, and not relaying on the temperamental postal system to supply me with books.

Edited by bree

I'm also getting on much better with Dangerous Liaisons since I started the penguin translation! However, although I tried to go back I found it too dull, with largely having read the same only a few days ago, so I began at the point where I left off with the dreadful Ernest Dowson translation.

I'm starting it from the beginning and it's so much easier. I don't find it boring at all now; there's quite a bit of biting humor, a lot of which was lost with the Dowson translation.

That's great, bobblybear! :)  I'd like to hear what you missed with the first copy you were reading later when we discuss the book in the thread, if that's okay and you still remember them :)

I'll try to remember them. :smile:

Just got a new book free of charge. Doubt anyone else will be able to read this as it comes courtesy of Plymouth University. Got a collection of short stories that they publish every year from writers from various places. There's some from Italy, the US and the UK etc. I got it because I've applied to their Uni for next year so going to add that to my TBR pile. Might give me some inspiration on writing my own stories maybe.

I just finished a really good non fiction book.  The Secret Life of Words: How English Became English by Henry Hitchings.  It talks about the English words that have been 'borrowed' from other languages through the history of the world.  It's a really interesting way of looking at the language, and it's interesting how the words have been incorporated and changed in the English language.

Didn't know you were ill Frankie but glad to hear your on the mend now & it hasn't stopped you reading :flowers2:

Thank you! :)

I've made a start on Cloud atlas & i think i'm going to like it but need to read a sizeable chunk so i can get into the story properly

Is it difficult to read? I've never started it, I find the idea of the book intimidating...

I'm happy to hear you're managing the other edition a whole lot better! :)

Glad you're better frankie  :friends3:

Thanks bree :)

Also discovered a little library here - with a few hundred books - need to explore it further - and if all goes well I hope to be reading books from there, and not relaying on the temperamental postal system to supply me with books.

That's great news! I hope they have a good selection of titles to keep you occupied and happy :smile2:

I just got back from the bookstore with The Madness Underneath, coffee and A MOJO FOR READING! 

*goes off to enjoy*

:D I'm might happy for you and your modjo, may you live together happily ever after :flowers2:

Last night I started The Girl from the Fiction Department: A Portrait of Sonia Orwell by Hilary Spurling. I only managed one chapter, and haven't read any more today, but so far so good.  :)

The title's familiar, I must have the book on my wishlist. I bet poppyshake read and reviewed the book on here. If not her, then it must've been Kylie. I'm looking forward to your review :)

I'm still reading Dangerous Liaisons. It's getting slower for me, I sometimes feel the letters go on and on. I still want to know what happens and I'm pretty happy with the characters, there are all sorts of types :)