Your Book Activity ~ February 2013

Kylie

I've made a start on Suzanne Collins - The Hunger Games 3: Mockingjay. I had to get used to the jump in time compared with book 2, I kind of expected it to continue straight from where we left off. Other than that though it's being quite interesting, it's a gripping story.

I'm also reading Jodi Picoult - Leaving Home: Short Pieces. I've finished the first short story (thoughts in my topic) and the letter, both of which I liked.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The title's familiar, I must have the book on my wishlist. I bet poppyshake read and reviewed the book on here. If not her, then it must've been Kylie. I'm looking forward to your review :)

I'm fairly certain it was poppyshake who has read it, although maybe Kylie has too?  :)  I've only read a few more pages today (due to lack of time) but so far it's enjoyable.  :)

I've made a start on Suzanne Collins - The Hunger Games 3: Mockingjay. I had to get used to the jump in time compared with book 2, I kind of expected it to continue straight from where we left off. Other than that though it's being quite interesting, it's a gripping story.

I never read this book despite reading the first two. I heard it was depressing. :P

Three of the books I ordered were cancelled - as they're having trouble importing them.

So, I'll have to wait a while before I read Dangerous Liaisons, The Lions of Al-Rassan and Kafka on The Shore.

Kafka on the Shore is my favourite Murakami, I hope you enjoy it.

I finished 1227 QI facts as I got it for 20p from amazon and enjoyed that.

I started this today, interesting so far but I think it's more of a book to dip in to.

I never read this book despite reading the first two. I heard it was depressing. :P

It's a good book, but I liked the first best. It sort of has a depressing side but mainly I wouldn't call it depressing. No more so than dystopian fiction normally is anyway.

Today I finished Nick Hornby's A Long Way Down. It was good but not as good as I expect from Hornby. Haven't written my review yet, hopefully tomorrow.

Edited by Lucybird

I just finished a really good non fiction book.  The Secret Life of Words: How English Became English by Henry Hitchings.  It talks about the English words that have been 'borrowed' from other languages through the history of the world.  It's a really interesting way of looking at the language, and it's interesting how the words have been incorporated and changed in the English language.

That sounds fascinating. 

I receive a (free) daily newsletter from "Wordsmith"...there are some great connections made there.  They give the origin of a word, pronunciation and use it in a sentence.  Then there is a 'thought of the day' included.  Always interesting.  Here is the link if you are interested.  http://wordsmith.org/

AIE:  Forgot to mention.....I've picked up Citizen Sherman again.  I'd abandoned it a few months back, September or so I believe. 

Edited by pontalba

Is it difficult to read? I've never started it, I find the idea of the book intimidating...

Not at all frankie i know what you mean though it seems to be one of those books that people i either love or hate. It's different stories which  i guess will all tie together at the end of the book so it chops & changes quite a bit which could put some people off but i'm enjoying it so far :smile:

You know us so well, Frankie and Janet. Poppyshake did indeed read and review the book, which led to me buying it (but I haven't read it yet). I hope you enjoy it, Janet.