Your Book Activity ~ February 2013

Kylie

The Specimen is taking weeks and weeks to read. Oh my goodness I may never finish! I am not ready to give up on it though, am so close to the end and do want to know what will happen (even if I think I can guess).

Started an easy read on the kindle, Seeking the Way Home- Irving H. Podolsky. It's a review request and the third in the series so I know it won't be too much next to The Specimen.

In a move that is bound to please Kylie, I've been book shopping again. 

The haul this week is:

The Stag and Hen Weekend, by Mike Gayle

Doctor Who: Shada, by Gareth Roberts (from a story by Douglas Adams)

The Hunger Games Trilogy, by Suzanne Collins (only £4.50 in HMV!) and

Garden Bird Confidential, by Dominic Couzens (£4.99 in The Works, bought as an art reference).

Now I just need to read some of the buggers . . .

Ooh The Hunger Games. I resisted that for so long but when I started reading it I could not stop!

Less than 100 pages to go in The Siege by Helen Dunmore, this is the second of her books that i've read & really enjoyed. In fact i liked them so much that i couldn't resist buying 4 more of her books today

Counting the Stars

A Spell of Winter

House of Orphans 

Mourning Ruby

Did you Know that there's a sequel to The Siege? It's called The Betrayal. It's been on my wishlist for some time, but I don't tend to buy things from my wishlist, I always get distracted by other books in the shop!

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picking up some more bret easton ellis from waterstones tommorow,imperial bedrooms and rules of attraction. They didnt have Lunar park and glamarama in my local so i will order them when i pick these up. Ive read Less than Zero and American psycho and was fascinated without really knowing why. I just think the writing is so good i just got sucked right in.

simon

Since I was last here I have read; 

Phantom - Jo Nesbo.  I thought it was excellent!

Thursdays in the Park - Hilary Boyd. Enjoyable, feel good, quick read.

Marley and Me  - John Grogan. I absolutely loved it, most of the book I was laughing out loud it was so funny,  I want a dog like Marley  :D 

The Greenhouse - Audur Ava Olafsdottir, another easy read, I enjoyed it.   :smile: 

I've just started Dangerous Liaisons in preparation for the reading circle - a little earlier than planned thanks to warnings from chesilbeach it might take some time to get through. I can already see what you mean!

I vaguely know the story as I enjoyed the movie when I watched it many years ago, but I have to admit to still being a bit daunted by it. :hide:

I wonder why that is :o I think it ought to be a great read :yes: And I think it helps if you've seen the movie: even if you watched it years ago, you'll be able to get more easily into the story, me thinks, but also, because you can't remember much of the movie, it's not spoiling your reading experience.

I just finished Marley & Me by John Grogan. :'(

It was really sad (in the end), wasn't it :empathy:

My modjo is creeping back, I have read 65 pages of London Under by Peter Ackroyd today. It's not particularly well written in my opinion but the subject is fascinating.

I'm happy to hear modjo's returning, I read in your log that it had gone AWOL for a couple of weeks. That's not nice :no:

I started reading Disordered Minds by Minette Walters.

I am have just finished reading Book 4 of War of the Fae by Indie author Elle Casey and really, really enjoyed it :)  Prior to that I read her Apocalypsis series which was just as good.  

Now I am undecided on what to read next ..................  

Three books arrived for me today, 'Shiver', 'Linger' and 'Forever' by Maggie Stiefvater.  

Not currently reading anything, so hopefully these will stir the mojo. :smile:

They are great books. I thought the last book ended on a cliffhanger (which I'm sure you'll see why when you get there) and thought there was another book but sadly not. :( I hope you enjoy!

I wonder why that is :o I think it ought to be a great read :yes: And I think it helps if you've seen the movie: even if you watched it years ago, you'll be able to get more easily into the story, me thinks, but also, because you can't remember much of the movie, it's not spoiling your reading experience.

I think because I keep thinking of it as a classic, rather than approach it with an open mind. Still, I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised! :smile:

Did you Know that there's a sequel to The Siege? It's called The Betrayal. It's been on my wishlist for some time, but I don't tend to buy things from my wishlist, I always get distracted by other books in the shop!

Thanks Lucybird i didn't know there was a sequel but i shall be adding it to my wishlist  :friends3:

I finished The Siege this afternoon, such a good read i'm looking forward to reading more of her books. Made a start on my next read A Time To Dance  Melvyn Bragg, i remember watching this on the TV years ago with Donald Pickup & Dervla Kirwan but can't recall how it ended.

Flying through my re-read of The Magicians by Lev Grossman - and looking forward to getting onto the sequel. Also just started Warm Bodies, I decided to read the novel before seeing the film based on the apparent general consensus that the book is the better of the two. So far its as fluffy as I expected, but that's absolutely fine with me, I'm enjoying it.