Your Book Activity ~ February 2013

Kylie

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished Small Steps which was a really quick read.

Not sure what to read next. I was going to start Dangerous Liasions, but I may leave it till a bit later in the month as I fear I may forget vital parts of it by the time March rolls around!

I've certainly got no shortage of books to choose from so I'll have a look at my TBR pile.

Not sure what to read next. I was going to start Dangerous Liasions, but I may leave it till a bit later in the month as I fear I may forget vital parts of it by the time March rolls around!

That's how I figured it, too, and haven't started it yet. It seems like a book that once you get into it, it's a quick read. Well maybe not quick-quick, but it seems very readable and not longwinded like some classics can be.

I've certainly got no shortage of books to choose from so I'll have a look at my TBR pile.

:giggle2:  I hope you find something that fits the mood!

I finally finished Donnie Brasco and decided to go for a library read next, and ended up starting with Disgrace by J. M. Coetzee (the movie was on TV just a week ago and I recorded it and thought I should read the book soon so I can watch the movie, too). About 40 pages in, so far so good!

Coetzee seems like an interesting characters based on a few things I just read about him on wiki, I'd like to read a biography of him, or any autobiographical stuff he may have written.

That's how I figured it, too, and haven't started it yet. It seems like a book that once you get into it, it's a quick read. Well maybe not quick-quick, but it seems very readable and not longwinded like some classics can be.

I'm quite a quick reader and although I found it very readable as you mentioned, frankie, it still took me a week to finish! Edited by chesilbeach

I'm quite a quick reader and although I found it very readable as you mentioned, frankie, it still took me a week to finish!

Oh wow, why do you figure it took you so long then? It's not even a very long novel. I'm surprised!

Edit: But thanks for the heads up, much appreciated! :)

Yesterday I bought a goody bag for £1 (No idea what was in it when I bought it). It had The Concubine by Norah Lofts, The Choice by Nicholas Sparks and Shadows and Strongholds by Elizabeth Chadwick. They all seem like pretty good books :D

Oh wow, why do you figure it took you so long then? It's not even a very long novel. I'm surprised!

I'll save some of this discussion for the reading circle, but I think one reason was because the letters all come from different people who are referred to by their title rather than a name, so I really had to think about who was writing each letter and how each one built the story.

I'll save some of this discussion for the reading circle, but I think one reason was because the letters all come from different people who are referred to by their title rather than a name, so I really had to think about who was writing each letter and how each one built the story.

Oh okay, that makes sense. I don't know why but I'd thought there were only two correspondents and it would be fairly simple. But that's good to know beforehand. I'll definitely start the novel sooner now :) Thanks!

:giggle2:  I hope you find something that fits the mood!

I have! I've started The Golden Acorn by Catherine Cooper which was a Kindle freebie. It's like a children/YA semi-fantasy novel, and it's good so far.

I'm surprised at this, for some reason I thought it would be a doorstop sized novel.

Actually, I've just checked Amazon and it isn't long really, it's only 240 pages, and if it's written in letter format, it may work out even shorter.

I vaguely know the story as I enjoyed the movie when I watched it many years ago, but I have to admit to still being a bit daunted by it. :hide:

I just finished Marley & Me by John Grogan. :'(

I think I'll be reading The Thinking Tank by Jae De Wylde next. (I can never seem to resist getting signed copies when authors come to my local waterstones :P)

Edited by ashleighjane

In a move that is bound to please Kylie, I've been book shopping again. 

The haul this week is:

The Stag and Hen Weekend, by Mike Gayle

Doctor Who: Shada, by Gareth Roberts (from a story by Douglas Adams)

The Hunger Games Trilogy, by Suzanne Collins (only £4.50 in HMV!) and

Garden Bird Confidential, by Dominic Couzens (£4.99 in The Works, bought as an art reference).

Now I just need to read some of the buggers . . .

Fnished The Eye of the World and enjoyed it :D Looking forward to reading more of The Wheel of Time.

Started the 12th Sharpe book by Bernard Cornwell.

Good good good! I wouldn't recommend reading them all in one go. A bit tedious that way!

The second book of Mistborn seems a bit weird. Is it me or does the way he write change a bit? It seems like his chapter (or parts) end abruptly at the slightest chance. Like someone new appearing or something drastic happening and I don't remember that from the first book. Or maybe I just didn't notice.

So I have abandoned my second book of 2013. I managed to read 20% of 'Les Miserables' by Victor Hugo, before feeling completely bogged down by it. I much prfer the musical!

So now I'm about to start reading 'Wolf Hall' by Hilary Mantel.

Less than 100 pages to go in The Siege by Helen Dunmore, this is the second of her books that i've read & really enjoyed. In fact i liked them so much that i couldn't resist buying 4 more of her books today

Counting the Stars

A Spell of Winter

House of Orphans 

Mourning Ruby