Your Book Activity ~ February 2013

Kylie

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished reading The City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. I'm not too sure what I'll read next. I might even read The City of Ashes. Or perhaps A Wrinkle in Time. Sometimes I wish that I didn't have so many books to read.

I just finished reading The City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. I'm not too sure what I'll read next. I might even read The City of Ashes. Or perhaps A Wrinkle in Time. Sometimes I wish that I didn't have so many books to read.

I think this is a problem many of us will be familiar with :P. Hope you find something nice :).

What do you think of these books? I think they're brilliant, regardless of being typical YA novels. Very emotional I would say.

Just  gotten a few pages into the epilogue of the first in the Mistborn Trilogy. I can understand why Sanderson was chosen to write the last of the Wheel of Time series. Really interested to see where he goes with the next two books considering what I've read so far (having not finished the epilogue) makes it seem like the book shouldn't have any followups. I can see where there might be followups though.

In the post today from chaliepud....'Home Front' by Kristin Hannah...another new author for me to try.....thank you Hayley. :flowers2:

And I couldn't wait......started this one yesterday..and loving it.

What do you think of these books? I think they're brilliant, regardless of being typical YA novels. Very emotional I would say.

I really enjoyed the first book. Cassandras managed to take all the usual ya nonsense (eg love triangle) and managed tto have an interesting plot too. :P

Edited by ashleighjane

I really enjoyed the first book. Cassandras managed to take all the usual ya nonsense (eg love triangle) and managed tto have an interesting plot too. :P

Definitely. It carries on throughout the rest of the novels and there's quite a few twists. I'd think you'd like the rest of them. You get to engrossed in their lives with what happens later on in the novels.

I've decided on Marley and Me ... which I was supposed to read next month, but I'm ahead of schedule :P

I hope you like it, I look forward to hear your thoughts. I liked the film so I've bought the book, hope it's good!

And I couldn't wait......started this one yesterday..and loving it.

Glad to hear it! I look forward to hear your thoughts, I saw it on a sale a few days ago so I've purchased it.

So my local bookstore is doing a book giveaway all week this week, each day they give away a new book. My boyfriend went in to get todays book, and scored the last one from yesterday for me. I can't wait to see what tomorrows book is. :D

Edited by Devi

I've decided on Marley and Me ... which I was supposed to read next month, but I'm ahead of schedule :P

I'd keep a box of tissues handy .... such a good book though :cray:

I finished reading The Case of The Gilded Fly  Edmund Crispin  which  was a blessedly short book as i didn't enjoy it & picked up one of my Christmas pressies Salem Chapel  Mrs Oliphant which was a fantastic read & definitely the best book of the year so far. I finished it last night & so for my next read i've decide to go for The Seige  Helen Dunmore.

So my local bookstore is doing a book giveaway all week this week, each day they give away a new book. My boyfriend went in to get todays book, and scored the last one from yesterday for me. I can't wait to see what tomorrows book is. :D

what was today's/yesterday's book??

I bought two books today (so glad my month of no buying books is over!). I got Looking for Alaska and The Fault in Our Stars, both by John Green. I love John Green and yet I am ashamed to say I haven't read any of his books...so it's my mission to finally do.

So these are next on my list as soon as I'm done with A Dance with Dragons.

I'd keep a box of tissues handy .... such a good book though :cray:

Oh no! Why do I have a feeling that Marley is going to die?

ETA: Though I suppose this is inevitable, seeing as it's autobiographical. :P

Edited by ashleighjane

what was today's/yesterday's book??

In the end I managed to get four of the five books. Considering that they cost around $20 each, I am quite happy!

Mad Men, Bad Girls - Maggie Groff

Synopsis from goodreads:

"When an American cult moves to the Gold Coast, Scout's investigative antennae start quivering. She sets out to expose the cult's bizarre practices, but when she learns the identity of a recent recruit, her quest becomes personal. And dangerous.

Meanwhile, her sister Harper, Head of Sport at a posh school, needs a favour regarding a strange case of vandalism.

But Scout has her own secret. In the dead of night she sneaks out with the Guerilla Kitters Institute, an underground group of yarn bombers, to decorate Byron Bay with radical artworks. Scout suspects that the local police sergeant, Rafe Kelly, is hot on her tail. And she doesn't mind that one bit..."

Arctic Floor - Mark Aitken

Synopsis from bookdepository:

"Gerry Gallen is searching for peace after years serving as a captain in the US Marines special forces. But when Gallen agrees to lead a team or former soldiers looking after the personal security of an eccentric oil billionaire, he finds himself catapulted onto a rollercoaster of violence and double-crossing where private intelligence operators and clandestine hit teams are commonplace. Powerful US and Russian interests are vying for the Arctic's valuable oil fields and it seems they'll stop at nothing to secure control of them, even if it means global catastrophe. Gallen and his men are faced with a choice between personal safety and saving the world.

They can either walk away or go to the Arctic Floor."

Legend - Marie Lu

Synopsis from goodreads:

"What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias’s death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills."

and I will give this next book away to someone, not sure who yet

Nursery Time with Winnie the pooh

It's a book based on the stories by A.A. Milne, and it's 'A First lift-the-flap book"

Edited by Devi

I've started reading Penny Vincenzi - Forbidden Places and Suzanne Collins - The Hunger Games 2: Catching Fire. This is the first time in quite a while that I'm reading two books at once. Forbidden Places is a bit big so I didn't want to drag it along with me while I travelled, so I brought Catching Fire instead. So far, both of them are quite good!

Edited by Athena

I've been really good so far this year and not bought any books but I put the kindle app on my tablet and I couldn't resist having a look so I ended up buying The Hundred Year Old Man Who Jumped Out of the Window and Disappeared on the upside it only cost 20p :)