7 replies to this topic

#1 Michelle

Michelle

The Boss!

• Admin
  • 9,463 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:14 AM

Subscriptions are meant to be handled automatically for me by an extra piece of software - I have to pay for this software every 6 months and yet it never seems to work correctly.

I'm going to check the general settings, to see if I can handle it better myself - this will mean that I ask members to send me the payment, and I will change their usergroup manually. I will then keep a record for when it will run out.

Over the next few days I will check everyone's existing membership, make manual records, then uninstall the extra software. This means that there may be a short time when your membership changes back to normal whilst I sort it out.

#2 Michelle

Michelle

The Boss!

• Admin
  • 9,463 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

I now (hopefully) have a list of Supporters, with the date their membership expires. At some point I will deactivate the software, and you will probably find you all lose your Supporter status. I will then manually change each membership, and post here when that's done. At this point, if I appear to have missed you, you can let me know.

The plan after that is that I will check each month for expired membership, and send you a PM to see if you wish to renew - their will be no obligation at all to do so. Payment can then be made through paypal, cheque or bank transfer.

New membership can also be set up manually, simply drop me a PM to arrange.

#3 Michelle

Michelle

The Boss!

• Admin
  • 9,463 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

Ok, software disabled, and the Supporter statuses seem ok. :)

#4 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,732 posts
  • LocationHelsinki, Finland

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:49 AM

Can I ask about subscriptions in this thread? If not, feel free to move this to a more suitable section! 

When I was looking for where to go to pay for a subscription, I clicked 'frankie' on the top right of my page, which then showed me all types of things I could do, as it does. Then I clicked on 'Purchase Paid Subscription', but it got me nowhere, it only led me to the page where it says "Sorry, we couldn't find that!"  So there's something wrong with that at the moment. 

Also, how does one pay for the subscription, in actuality? I don't have a Paypal account, but I'm also a foreigner so sending a check is not good for me (we don't do checks in Finland, it's foreign to us, also I don't rely on the post these days..) and I don't know if a money transfer via bank is doable, either. I'm now considering getting a PayPal account or having a Finnish friend with a PayPal account pay for me and I can then pay them via bank. 

#5 Michelle

Michelle

The Boss!

• Admin
  • 9,463 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:22 AM

Sorry, I thought I'd explained above that I stopped using the software, but I assume it's not clear. I was being charged for the software's use, and yet I had lots of problems with it. I disabled it, but I haven't been able to remove the link you mention. 

It does need to be paypal for bank transfer I'm afraid, I'm not aware of any other way I could do it (I thought the software simply utilised paypal, but I may be wrong. (If it helps, I've used paypal for many years now, and I've never had a problem with them.)

If you're not able to send, no worries, and thank you for the thought! :)

#6 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,732 posts
  • LocationHelsinki, Finland

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:35 AM

Oh no! It probably wasn't unclear at all, I just don't understand anything about softwares and so I didn't mean what it meant that the software was disabled. I just remember that you recently posted about subscriptions, and I didn't read the whole post through as I just went to thinking I need to get my subscription back, and now I just thought of it again and posted the message above without really reading the previous posts! I'll go and read the other post, and then I'll see if I could just set up a PayPal account. How hard can that be :) I probably should've done it ages ago but for some reason I've been wary of it :)  I don't want it to be just a thought, I truly want to contribute, in hard physical cash! :D 

#7 Autumn

Autumn

Avid Reader

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:21 AM

Oooh!  I didn't even realise there was a support subscription available until I read this post. I also didn't realise there were ads on the board to help support it either although I do use an ad-blocker though so that would be why, sorry.

Who exactly pays for the bulk of the forum costs at the moment - is it just yourself Michelle?  Also (and feel free to ignore this question) how much does it cost per year to keep this forum going?  I'm only asking because I don't mind helping out and to be honest it hadn't even really crossed my mind that someone was having to pay for it (stupid of me I know).

I don't have a Paypal account but would be more than happy to send a cheque if that was acceptable to you?

#8 Michelle

Michelle

The Boss!

• Admin
  • 9,463 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:46 AM

Hi.. yes, it's just me running it. The one cost I have to cover is for the software, which is thankfully only $25 (if I remember correctly) every 6 months.

The other cost however is for the server.. we are very lucky that someone I know let's us use some space on a server she pays for. If I had to organise our own hosting, I don't think I'd be able to afford it.

So, I try to send her some money regularly towards it, but she's very understanding of I'm not able. I felt terrible though when I realised the other day I hadn't sent any for some time.. so I'm now trying to send regularly.

Adverts on the site simply don't work here, so the Supporter payments help me greatly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users