SShhhh, he's getting the bug!

Ever since my son was born, I tried to make him love books as much as I do. I used to put books in his pram, read to him and buy him lots of different books.

He was never very enthusiastic about them though.

Then at school they started to give the children a choice of reading books every week as well, but the enthusiasm gauge did not go up at all.

I started to take him to the public library. Although not overjoyed, he started to show some interest. And then some more. We have been going for a few months now, and he has been getting better at it. Lately though, I have noticed him going through the books that he has in his room of his own free will.

And today the unthinkable happened. He has had his nose stuck in a book for most of the day. He got his first thickish book (184 pages) and has almost finished it. Hip Hip Hurrah! I'm so darned happy! :tong::lol::sleeping-smiley-009;):lol:

That's great news about your son finally getting the reading bug Maureen. Yay!

It's funny how some kids like to read and others don't. I've always been an avid reader from the time I was old enough to read, but my brother who is two years older than me hasn't read a book since his school days probably. My mum's always said that when we were kids I was happy just to sit in the garden or in the house on rainy days on my own with a book where as my brother hated being on his own and wanted out to play with his friends.

My husband and I (ooh, I sound like the Queen!) both read lots, and yet neither of our children do.

I've tried all sorts to get them interested, but to avail! My daughter will start a book, but seldom finishes. Both of them like having books, but neither do anything with them.

At my son's parent's evening recently, his English teacher said that his reading is fantastic, but that he should read more fiction - he's quite happy to read non-fiction (especially car books) for hours on end - but fiction just doesn't seem to get him going.

He's reading The Curious Incident... at the moment, and says he loves it, so I need to find something similar, if such a thing exists.

If I could find fiction books about cars or racing then he might get interested, but I've searched and they don't seem to exist!

Well done Maureen :sleeping-smiley-009

I guess it's about different personalities, likes and dislikes. Two of my four read, one does from time to time and the other, to my knowledge, hasn't picked up a book since school (he's almost 33). But it's about planting the seeds. If the seeds have been well planted they may lie dormant, but there is always a chance that they will sprout. Maybe in later life...there is always hope.

Pp

Maureen, what bliss, good for him I don't know how old your little man is,

My big man ;-))(he's with me as I type - will be 8 in August):sign0072::e010: We had a look at that site, and it seems interesting. Will be looking for some of those books, after some more of Enid Blyton's - as I think they are one step ahead)

Thankfully, it was not a 24 hours bug he had, he read some more today, and is looking forward to read some more before bed time):) In fact, he has had a terrific idea - we spend some time reading our books together.

Yay! Great to hear that kids are reading still. Hey - does your son like animals? Maybe Brian Jaques Redwall series although not sure if they're too old for an 8 year old.

Cars... don't know of any I'm afraid.

I had a laugh the other day when I was in the bookshop and there was a mum and her son. She went past me and she said (to her son)

Mum: "Now you've looked at EVERY book in the book shop, can we GO now?"

Son: "Oh, but look over here, more books!"

Mum: "AH!"

*kid goes off to check biography section.*

Yay! Great to hear that kids are reading still. Hey - does your son like animals? Maybe Brian Jaques Redwall series although not sure if they're too old for an 8 year old.

Cars... don't know of any I'm afraid.

I had a laugh the other day when I was in the bookshop and there was a mum and her son. She went past me and she said (to her son)

Good boy! :)

OHs 7 year old could not read at all last year. OH taught him and now all he wants to do is read. He keeps coming with one book and reading it in an hour or so, so I showed him to the children's library we have upstairs (wardrobe shelves packed with books in children's room.) Of coiurse this meant that I had to sort the books out. I sorted them all by age and put them tidily into the wardrobe. His sister however, although she loves me reading to her, will not very often pick up a book herself.

I think your son will enjoy Malcolm Saville he really is great.

The books mentioned in the link do look interesting. Will try to get him one or two of them. thanks for the link.

As I said in said, you can pop along some sunny day with the family, and have a brilliant day/night's out!

yes, next time we're in England.:)

Hope the bug stays with for a very long time, it'll a good friend indeed to him.

That's what I have been telling him - reading is the bestest bestest friend you can ever get!:sign0072:

And today the unthinkable happened. He has had his nose stuck in a book for most of the day. He got his first thickish book (184 pages) and has almost finished it. Hip Hip Hurrah! I'm so darned happy!

:)WOOO!!:sign0072:Yay!

At my son's parent's evening recently, his English teacher said that his reading is fantastic, but that he should read more fiction - he's quite happy to read non-fiction (especially car books) for hours on end - but fiction just doesn't seem to get him going.

My cousin's exactly the same! It's quite funny, really, he can read, spell, explain the meaning of, put in a sentance and give examples for words like aerodynamics, but he gets confused with "the" and stuff!!:lol:He's dyslexic, you see.

Your son may enjoy "Boy, Tales of Childhood" by Roald Dahl, cuz it's very funny and kind of..I dunno, informal. It sounds like it's RD talking to you, and it's sort of easy to read, like it doesn't make you concentrate that much...I love "Boy"!!:e010:

:lol:Bless him!