Poetry for Beginners

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some help on poetry for beginners. I have never read any poetry other than what I read as a child in school, but I feel I never really appreciated it or understood it, and therefore never really got into it. I'm not sure if I would fully understand a lot of it, but I'm open minded and keen to look into it and read a few.

I'm not sure what type of poetry I'm really looking for, but I imagine I would probably quite appreciate War poetry, but really just looking for any suggestions people have that they think are great pieces and everyone should read, as I'm very much in the dark when it comes to poetry and have no idea where to begin.

Cheers everyone.

I just finished reading some Keat's poetry in my literature class. The Eve of St Agnes and Lamia are good poems by him but not war poems. I'm also starting some more poetry tomorrow so will tell you if they're any good.

Edited by risingdawn

Hi Rising and Poppy, cheers for your help, I'm completely new to all kinds of poetry and have no idea where to begin so i'm happy just to have some suggestions, not specifically war poetry :smile: .

I'll check out some Keates and some in that link, looking forward to hearing of any more poetry out there if you find some more good uns!

Cheers

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

'In Flanders Field' by John McCrae is a great poem. It's a 'rondaeu' about war and death and the fights we inherit.

But I would HIGHLY suggest getting your hands on a modern translation of 'the iliad' ...I've read it three times, it's about the Trojan War, or Homer's take on it, and it's centered around Achilles and Hector and Helen of Troy and Athena, while it shows how the gods interfere in the 'war over a woman.' There simply is not better reading. Anywhere!

Edited by Stiggy

• 2 weeks later...

I would recommend By Heart: 101 Poems to Remember by Ted Hughes. I'm new to poetry as well, and was unsure where to begin. This book is a collection of various poets from different times. It's a good way to delve into a variety of works and see what sticks out to you.