"Libraries I have visited"

Janet

I've managed to change the first one into a photo, but I can't do the second for some reason. Above the picture it says 'share' and if you click on that it should give you an image link - as I said, for some reason the link isn't working for the second picture.

Thanks for sharing - I love the physic garden. :)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for turning the link into a photograph, Janet. The second one was someone else's Flickr pic, so maybe that is why it would not work.

I am glad the pictures brought back some memories, Chaliepud :smile: One of the benefits of the restricted hours that Hertfordshire Libraries now have is that I now travel round to different libraries according to which is open on the day I want to go. I had mostly used Stevenage Library until recently. I have now also explored Hitchin, Letchworth, Welwyn Garden City and St Albans. They all have their different characters and I enjoy the variety.

Fantastic libraries, everyone! I love the mix of the very old and the very new. While I much prefer the older buildings myself, it pleases me to see that good money is still spent on building/renovating libraries. They are clearly still a very important part of our society. :)

I think my favourite so far is the Bristol library. That's breathtaking! If the rest of it looks as good as the foyer, I may permanently move in.

In reference to Raven's comment about Cambridge University's library looking like a prison, if that was the case, I would be doing whatever it took to get myself a life sentence!

Raven, my friend used to joke that I should start lending my books out like a library. She's never seen my collection, but we used to go book shopping together during lunch sometimes, so she knows what I'm capable of. ;)

I have been hunting around for photos of my local libraries, but they're either grainy/black-and-white or difficult to see. My city's main library is attached to the council chambers, but it's kind of tucked off to the side and has a low roof and obstructions in front of it, so it's difficult to find a good pic. I'll keep hunting or I'll go on a tour to take some pics myself. It's nowhere near as nice or flash as everyone else's libraries.

Kylie

When you mentioned starting your own library, it reminded me of a trip we made to Myrtle Beach ,SC,several years ago. There was a lady who had a trailer there who stayed year-round .Each trailer space comes with a little wooden shelter-type thing where the picnic table goes. She had taken the table out, covered all 4 sides in plastic tarps ,and put small bookcases in on all 4 sides .

She had painted pics of seashells,etc on the inside ,and placed a beach chair in there,and had her own lending library.

She had it open to anyone who stayed there,so people could come and "borrow" some books,and donate some in place of the ones borrowed ,so she had a continually changing library inside her little building .

People write their names inside the front cover,telling where they were from and the date they donated them. It was a really cute little idea . Interesting to see where all the books came from.

Myrtle Beach is a pretty popular vacation destination in the country,so they get books from all over the place . Sure wish Ihad a photo of it . I think it'd qualify as the smallest library so far shown in the thread.

I love the sound of that beach library Julie .. how special. There are some tiny phonebox libraries here .. such a cute idea (but I do worry about the damp).

phoneboxlibrary.jpg

circulatinglibrary.jpg

This is in Bath .. sadly not a library any longer (but a Jamie Oliver restaurant) but very beautiful. I'm not sure if it was there in Jane Austen's day .. it was definitely there in the latter part of the 1800's .. she may have visited it .. I like to think that she did. It's in Milsom Street .. a street she wrote about in Northanger Abbey and Persuasion. She wrote about circulating libraries anyway and this is what they looked like.

Books: 'There were none in her father's house; but wealth is luxurious and daring—and some of hers found its way to a circulating library. She became a subscriber—amazed at being anything in propria persona, amazed at her own doings in every way, to be a renter, a chuser of books!' Mansfield Park - Jane Austen :)

My favorite library - Charlottesville, Virginia

How pretty ! Built like a plantation library .

Miss Poppy

Those phone booth libraries are so cute ! What a neat idea .

Edited by julie

I'm not someone who can appreciate architecture usually - but this thread is my current favourite on the forum.

I can't stop coming back to it and admiring all the pictures!

Thank you all for sharing :friends0:

Let's see if this works.

web_371_zpsc06e464f.jpg

web_261_zpse2af7474.jpg

The front of this building is the front of an old dept store that would be about 150 years old. They were careful to keep it and build the library around it. It's a pretty good library, and the most popular public library in the country. One thing I love is there's none of the old 'silence' rules. When my kids were little they could make noise if they wanted. The kids area is very bright and welcoming and really encourages kids to visit.

This was built about 20 years ago and is much better than the old one. There was nowhere near enough space there, over half the books were in storage.

Edited by bookmonkey

Bookmonkey

Love the look of the library. It's neat that they kept the look of the old building when making the library . So many old buildings in our area end up being torn down and replaced by newfangled looking places .