"Libraries I have visited"

Janet

Inspired by some discussion in frankie's book blog, what is your library like? Do you like to visit libraries other than your 'local' one.

If you would like to, please post pictures, but do not Hotlink. Instead, please first upload them to somewhere like Photobucket or Flickr (both free) or similar and then use the [ IMG] tags.

I love libraries, even though I don't use them as much as I probably should!

This one is my local...

Mylibrary1.jpg

It's small, and it doesn't open on a Wednesday (or Sunday) - I don't get all my books from here, but I do return them all to this one!

This is my next closest...

PaultonLibrary1.jpg

This one only opens Tuesday, Friday and Saturday morning! This one is moving some time this year into a new building. It's a shame, as I think this one is beautiful (lovely windows) but maybe it will open longer hours...?

I don't have a picture of Swansea library (in Wales) but I do randomly have one of the view!

Swanseaview.jpg

I couldn't use this library for studying (If I was studying!) - I'd spend all my time gazing out of the window!

More to come from me!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well. I'll try and keep the ball rolling... this is a pic of our village library, it was a temporary building built about 20 years ago and it has been under threat of closure for the last few years. Thankfully it survived the last cuts which is brilliant as it serves a lot of our elderly villagers who cannot manage to get to the bigger towns (which don't have bus stops or car parks very close to them - and books can be heavy, especially for the old folks!) I try to pop in at least once a week, even if it means borrowing books I'll never read, just so the authorities know I'm using it!!!

It is very small, probably 20 x 20 feet but it also has a little ante room at the back that can be used for meeting, coffee mornings and the odd little kids party. We have two librarians who take it in turns to come from the main libraries who are just lovely and an integral park of the library experience, they'll always help you with any bookie problems or if anyone needs helps on one of their computers (they have two!!) :)

It's not the most aesthetically pleasing building but at least it has books in it.. This is the best pic I can find online..

o0rtwi.jpg

Oh, and I should have mentioned the opening hours (or lack of them!) It is only open Tuesday afternoons for 3 hours, then friday for 3 hours in the morning and the afternoon, then for another 3 hours on Saturday mornings... but most people know when to go and they do have a 24 slot for returns if the library is not open..

Edited by chaliepud

Very interesting looking libraries, I love it how they all look different in different countries, and even within those countries! :)

Janet, the first library looks more like a Spanish hacienda in my opinion :) In a good way, or course! And the next one looks very official.

(I'm having problems being able to post pics of the libraries I've visited, I'll try and figure it out)

Such great pictures in this topic (especially Janet's second picture)!

The library in my town has been put in a new building since hmm last year or something? I don't like the building that much from the outside (it's kinda modern and angular). The inside's nice though. I haven't got any pictures of it (I hadn't been inside until they had a library sale a few weeks ago), their website has no pictures that I can find. I haven't got any pictures either of the libraries I used to visit as a child (this was before digital cameras), I'm not sure what they'd look like today though the buildings were nice (especially the one in my old town.. that was a lovely old building, I'm not sure if it's still there or not).

I'm afraid I can't make much of a contribution to this topic.. well at least I can enjoy all your pretty pictures :P.

Edited by Athena

Okay I tried to upload photos to both Photobucket and Flickr - Photoshop said the action I was trying to perform (ie loading the website) could not be done, and flickr is loading eternally. So I'll post photos of a variety of libraries I have known, when the internet decides to start working again.

Great thread Janet :) Even though it has made me have to face .. again .. one of the sadnesses of my life. I hate my local library :(

cirencesterlibrary.jpg

Look at it!! It's the most uninspired carbuncle to ever grace Cirencester (if you don't count my new bobble hat :D) and what is infinitely worse is that the inside is even less inspiring :(

cirencesterlibrary1.jpg

All those racks on the left are full of DVD's :hissyfit: okay, you get that in most libraries but look .. where are the books? The curved shelves at the back are full of childrens books .. the adult fiction books are mostly on those two sets of glass shelves you can see just behind the automated check-outs, I'd exhausted them the first year I moved here. Yes the stairs lead to more books but not many and non-fiction only .. mostly it's a cyber cafe. I do like to sit up there and read because it's warm and you can get a not too indifferent cup of machine coffee but I take my own book. They once had a 'try something different' stand with Katie Price's biog on it :no: They don't encourage anyone to read, it's all quick and easy this and throwaway that. It's like convenience food for readers. Since the refurb it's got 25% more space apparently .. who needs space in a library let alone 25% more than you had before .. stick 25% more books in :banghead:

cirencesterlibrary2.jpg

.. and the building on the right is Cirencester's original library. I know it was probably old, damp and draughty but I bet it had bookcases full of books .. and I bet it smelt like a proper library and wasn't wipe clean. I've heard it was much nicer. Why couldn't they have spent the money renovating it?

I still support it, occasionally it comes up with a book I want to read and you never know, it might eventually turn into something better.

swindonlibrary1.jpg

On a brighter note, this is a modern library that I do love .. Swindon Central, it's packed full of books and it buzzes :) I can't find a pic of my favourite library which is in North Swindon, I'll have to take one when I next go, it's not very pre-possessing to look at but I love it, loads of books and intelligent promotion. The sad thing is they're both a car journey away, at least 20mins :( so we don't go as often as I'd like. It's nice to be able to walk to your library.

Great pics, guys. :) Chalie, your library looks to be a similar size to the one in the village I grew up in. :)

Kay - your library looks prettyful on the inside but I agree it's not the most attractive building from the outside. I've not been to Swindon library it looks... huge!

Great thread Janet :) Even though it has made me have to face .. again .. one of the sadnesses of my life. I hate my local library :(

cirencesterlibrary.jpg

I know they've gone under, but they could have waited before nicking the sign from the local Jessop's and writing "The Library" on it!

I agree - great libraries emelee. The city library looks especially amazing from the outside. :)

I know they've gone under, but they could have waited before nicking the sign from the local Jessop's and writing "The Library" on it!

:giggle2:

Here is Stratford upon Avon's library. We stayed there (Stratford, not the library :giggle: ) in 2011 but we were so busy we didn't actually find time to go inside, sadly. Isn't it gorgeous!

Stratford2.jpg

Stratford1.jpg

Wow, some great libraries there. The Cambridge City library is now just a generic rectangle space above the newish shopping centre. Not really what you'd expect in Cambridge. I do have a small local library which I will be checking out soon.

Edited by Timstar

First up, my local library.

The old one (pictured below) got shut down last year and torn down recently, and now there sits an empty lot. The locals fought to keep it from happening, but failed. :(

30jjnsk.jpg

I couldn't post the old and new library pics in one post, wouldn't let me for some reason so sorry about the extra posts.

The new library was built not far down from the old one... it's a bit of a hit and miss for most locals. We are an old old town, with a lot of history. Building seems so out of place and almost everyone isn't a fan of the green colour including me. I think the windows are an interesting design.

nn8cxg.jpg

2eztd1i.jpg

wh0g81.jpg

Edited by Devi

The library I visit most often is Aberdeen Central Library. It's housed in a gorgeous granite building next to a cathedral and a theatre. Locally, this little street has always been known as Education, Salvation and Damnation. ;)

The inside of the library looks pretty average and uninspiring, but they have a lot of books here and are always wiling to try and get in any they don't have if you're after something specific.

aberdeencentrallibrary_zpsb85aeca9.jpgaberdeencentrallibraryinside_zpsb12f54c6.jpg

This monstrous carbuncle of a "modern building" is the new library at Aberdeen University (just down the road from me). The photo here really doesn't do justice to the sheer hideousness of the outer, which Xan calls "The Ugly Building" every time we pass it. inside, however, is apparently rather stunning. I've not been into it, but have seen some pics and it looks very light and airy in there.

aberdeenunilibraryoutside_zps9c1e01f1.jpgaberdeenunilibraryinside_zpsf2003a7d.jpg

This is the famous library in the city near where I live - Melbourne. It's called the state library of Victoria. It was built in 1859, has over 2 million books, and is steeped in history with folios from famous people like Captain Cook.

20fj2r.jpg

35iodj6.jpg

2v3g6li.jpg

These are art pieces that were put around the library itself, very clever I always thought.

14sd45.jpg

2euh7ye.jpg

and an inside shot of the dome

33df9xu.jpg

Love this thread, Janet! Thanks for starting it :D

Everyone's libraries are lovely. Not so here in the frozen north of the midwest, ugh.

This is the library I visit the most, mainly for their excellent book sales!

Library1_zpse59ad327.jpg

Here is the Minneapolis Public Library downtown. Forgive us for that thingie on the roof...

Library2_zpsd62b7637.jpg

Here is the MN History Center, which houses the state's Historical Society Library, where I do a lot of my genealogy research.

Library3_zps7ab66697.jpg

Gonna give this a try ....

The fancy library the next town over --the one with the security guard on duty . This one has a lot of new books each week .

It used to be a plain little one-story brick building ,with the kid's books in the downstairs,but they rebuilt it about 10 years ago .

th_Wads_zpse39ba1dd.jpg