Memoirs of Cleopatra - Margaret George

risingdawn

I read this novel a few years ago and found it quite interseting. I love finding out about past civilisations and history/religion. My Mum brought this novel and I thought I would try reading it after her. It is about the life of Cleopatra but told through the voice of Cleopatra herself. I will post the synopsis from Waterstones.

The mesmerizing story of Queen Cleopatra in her own words - by bestselling novelist Margaret George, author of The Autobiography of Henry VIII and Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles. Told in the first person - from the young queen's earliest memories of her father's tenuous rule to her own reign over one of the most glittering kingdoms in the world - this is an enthralling saga of ambition and power. It is also a tale of passion that begins when the twenty-one-year-old Cleopatra, desperate to return from exile, seeks out the one man who can help her: Julius Caesar. And it does not end until, having survived the assassination of Caesar and the defeat of the second man she loves, Marc Antony, she plots her own death ...'The author's impeccable research brings a long-ago civilization thoroughly to life, and her portraits of Cleopatra, Caesar and Antony are wonderful. A spellbinding book' Barbara Taylor Bradford, book of the year in the Sunday Times

I found it quite a lot about the life of Cleopatra and it was quite gripping. Anyone else read this novel?

• 7 months later...

Hello Risingdawn I think I may have to read this to really tell if it's a good book or not.The trouble with the synopsis reading 'the story of Cleopatra in her own words', is that it can never be in her own words. However, she is certainly one of the most fascinating female characters in ancient history, and for that reason alone is worth reading this book. :readingtwo:

Hi, to all Margaret George fans ... and others! :smile:  

I read this book years ago, and being in an "egyptian" mood recently, bought it again. I've already read a bit, and it's just as colourful and detailed as before - a fascinating trip into her exotic but dangerous world.

Margaret George does this so well. All her novels bring her characters wonderfully to life as real people, and make a reader feel as if they are actually alongside, as the story develops.  

An additional bonus is that there's a new paperback out, which I much prefer. The old one shows the Queen in death, but Cleopatra is very alive to us, even after her demise, and I never liked the old cover.

The new version is great! Here, she's very much alive, and if one dares to put her story down for too long - keeps a firm eye on her reader till it's picked up again!

Glad you enjoyed it Rising Dawn, and hope you do too, Garden Girl. :smile: