Recommend a sci-fi/fantasy?

risingdawn

Yeah, Lord of Light is my favourite of his that I've read so far  :smile:

I just finished that. It's indeed a good book. A bit outdated and probably because of that I prefer the Chronicles of Amber. However I was pleasantly surprised when I found that there was an attempt to make a movie out of that book back in '79 and this is actually the script that CIA used in their famous operation in Iran. This is what the ARGO movie is about for those that do not know http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1024648/.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I see! That is a lot of money. I have the prequels too, so far I've only read one David Eddings & Leigh Eddings book so far but I own a lot of them XD. I read The Redemption of Althalus, that was pretty good. I did read some of the books back when I was a teenager in the library in Dutch, but I don't remember much about it.

On I love The Redemption of Althalus! Next to the books with spawhark in them this is my favourite one that he has writen,

No one has mentioned Terry Goodkind as yet.  He has this series starting with Wizard's First Rule.

x

I've read the first three books but not the rest of the series yet. I own a lot of them in Dutch and am now slowly buying them in English. My brother and sister have both read this series (in Dutch), and really liked it.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say that science-fiction/fantasy novels are one of my favourite. Wheel of Time and such. Does anyone have any recommendations of books from that genre that they found really good?

1.) Ilium by Dan Simmons.  2.) Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King.  3.) World War Z by Max Brooks

TG does do a bit of wandering through his Wizards series, I didn't read pillars of creation and Temple Of The Winds was a waste of time.The set made enough sense to me without these two. Not as bad a rambler as RJ

Edited by dex

• 2 weeks later...

Yes MYTHAGO WOOD, BY ROBERT HOLDSTOCK< wonderful stuff. What about the SPIDER WORLD series [COLIN WILSON?] Read them a few years ago, well written and so gripping.Also some of BRIAN ALDISS, one of my fave SCI-FI writers [and he lived in my village, so have to give him a plug.] HOTHOUSE is my choice by him.

After a quick read through all the post I´ve not seen a single post about The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch, which is my humble opinion one of the best fantasy books I have read up to today.

You could describe it as Oceans Eleven set in a fascinating fantasy world with a little drop of The Godfather in it.

Sounds really good Tobi, now i'm interested. 

Edited by UnderTheDome40

TG does do a bit of wandering through his Wizards series, I didn't read pillars of creation and Temple Of The Winds was a waste of time.The set made enough sense to me without these two. Not as bad a rambler as RJ

I didn't finish those two books either.  I think the best ones for me was the first two books.

I didn't finish those two books either.  I think the best ones for me was the first two books.

For me the first four worked.  While I would agree that Wizards First Rule and the Sword of Truth are the best in the series, I enjoyed the following two as well.  Starting with book 5 I also had issues in finishing the books, and finally gave up on the series.

Yes, The set up if the series made it interesting, Then later on he used

Pandora's Box

as a plot device and the end was so weak. It should have been a 3 or 4 book set at most.

Yea that was a problem I had.  It didn't feel like it fit with the early run of the series.  However it was the one where much of the book did not have Richard in it, and it was told from the point of view of a newly introduced character that really lost me.  I only made it half way through that book.

seen guy gavriel kay mentioned on this thread have to say his fionavar tapestry trilogy blew me away had never heard of him before reading that,also bit surprised no-ones mentioned robert holdstock,particularly the mythago wood series a great take on the more adult side of fantasy

Yes, the Fionavar trilogy!  Forgot about that one until reading this post, but yes, it's an excellent series.  In fact, I hope I still have it around here somewhere as I'd love to read it again! :smile:

• 6 months later...

I just finished The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson and loved it! The plot is intriguing, the magic system is well constructed the characters are fantastically developed.

I had my qualms about reading a Sanderson book to begin with but now that I've picked it up I can definitely understand why everyone is praising his work. 

The second book was not long released also titled Words of Radiance.