Recommend a sci-fi/fantasy?

risingdawn

Hm, interesting. Well I started the Mistborn Trilogy and so far it is quite good. Loving the magic within it. Quite different. I can understand why Robert Jordan's wife wanted him to co-write the last 3 books of the Wheel of Time. I got all 3 books in one on my Kobo so about 2000 pages in all and I'm only about 200 in! xD

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to suggest the Dragonlance Chronicles, and after that especially The Lost Chronicles in the Dragonlance series. All of which are by Margret Weiss & Tracy Hickman.

And there were some fantastic novels in the Eberron series.

Edited by Stiggy

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised no one has recommended Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss to you yet. I heard the second book is not as good, but the first was quite enjoyable. :)

Also, really glad to hear that you are enjoying Mistborn. I think I need to add that one to my list of soon-to-reads, especially since it's going to take so long for the sequel to Way of Kings to come out (another AWESOME Sanderson read that you should check out)

Surprised no one has recommended Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss to you yet. I heard the second book is not as good, but the first was quite enjoyable. :)

Also, really glad to hear that you are enjoying Mistborn. I think I need to add that one to my list of soon-to-reads, especially since it's going to take so long for the sequel to Way of Kings to come out (another AWESOME Sanderson read that you should check out)

I read both Patrick Rothfuss books and thought they were both brilliant. I'm looking forward to the next one. ^_^ I will certainly look into Way of Kings. Sanderson was a good read.

• 3 weeks later...

I would suggest,

The Death gate cycle series (fantasy)

The Xanth books ( also fantasy and there are 30 or more of them so a lot of reading)

The Bedlam Bard books (fantasy)

The Green Rider books ( fantasy)

The Corean chronicles (fantasy and very good)

Those are all the books that I can think of off the top my head. Hope they help :)

Err I have no idea where the edit button is so I will just add what I want to say about the xanth books here. The xanth books are well a bit like fun books. They will certainly have you falling off your chair.

I can recommend Wool by Hugh Howey.  I've read it on kindle already...that is, at least the first 5 parts which has now come out in a lovely hardback copy.  Howey has an on-going series of this, continuing with First Shift Legacy (A Silo Story), Second Shift Order (A Silo Story), and Third Shift Pact (A Silo Story).   The latter three are in trade paperback, at least that is all I could find on Amazon.

I think I've only read the first 5, but it is a well imagined story of a dystopian future (is there any other kind?).  :)

I can recommend Wool by Hugh Howey.  I've read it on kindle already.

I must read this as I keep hearing great things about it. It's a Fastback at my library, but when it goes onto being a regular loan, I shall borrow it for sure.

• 2 months later...

Have you tried Tom Lloyd's The Twilight Reign? It's a good series, kind of epic fantasy, like Tolkien and, from what I understand, The Wheel of Time series (not read any of that yet). Of, for something a bit different, try The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch, it is fantasy but not overly.

Hope this helps :)

One of my favorite science fiction novels is Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson.  It's not futuristic.  In fact, much of it takes place in the past.  It may benefit you to be a technology professional before reading this book.  There's lots of computer theory, cryptology, and mathematics involved.  Some of it reads like a text book.

I'd have to suggest the Dragonlance Chronicles, and after that especially The Lost Chronicles in the Dragonlance series. All of which are by Margret Weiss & Tracy Hickman.

And there were some fantastic novels in the Eberron series.

How long is it?

Well, the DragonLance series is a shared world, where various authors share the same world. It's actually an offshoot of Dungeons & Dragons, of which you can actually obtain 'Campaign Settings' and play the actual RPG/boardgame. The novels sprouted up when Weiss & Hickman decided to write novels in the Dragonlance setting of which they also were the creators. Since the books back in the eighties, it has sprouted into a huge series. The books come in trilogies and other stand-alone series within the setting. But the original 'DragonLance Chronicles' of which I'm speaking, is what I'd suggest, and is in two trilogies. The first group of 'Chronicles' takes place during the War of the Lance, when the heroes are in search of Dragon Orbs, and Dragon Lances, in order to fight in the apocalyptic battles.

The 'Lost Chronicles' come next, but instead of carrying on from where the others left off, it goes back and fills in some of the missing events of the original 'DragonLance Chronicles'

They really are great books, and it's really neat, after reading the original story, to go back and then relive the lost moments that left you wondering to begin with.

As for Eberron, that is another shared world, much like DragonLance, only its a different world were magic takes on a more modern setting of life. With tall towers held up by magic, and galleons that fly through the sky, to detectives called inquisitors that solve crimes. There is also a race of magical beings that are like sentient metal and iron robots. A very exiting world, I do say.

Edited by Stiggy

I noticed a couple of Guy Gavriel Kay's books mentioned earlier and felt I ought to add "Under Heaven" to them. It was the first of his books that I read and while it's quite different to, for instance, Tigana, I found it thoroughly enjoyable.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd recommend The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny. I don't believe it's not here already and even there is no thread for it here on the board. Am I the only fan around :woohoo:

I'd recommend The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny. I don't believe it's not here already and even there is no thread for it here on the board. Am I the only fan around :woohoo:

They have been mentioned before but yeah he is a mostly forgotten writer these days. I preferred some of his other stand alone novels better. 

They have been mentioned before but yeah he is a mostly forgotten writer these days. I preferred some of his other stand alone novels better. 

Yeah, Lord of Light is my favourite of his that I've read so far  :smile:

I would say that science-fiction/fantasy novels are one of my favourite. Wheel of Time and such. Does anyone have any recommendations of books from that genre that they found really good?

I just read on my Kindle - Genesigeth 'Birth' by Phil Kernow.  Really enjoyed it, so much so I am reading it again. I asked the question before.....does anyone know if he has written anything else?  I have exhausted my searches.

I second the Xanth novels by Piers Anthony vote.  They are not actually aimed at kids, though people of all ages can get a good chuckle out of them.  The whole series is based around puns, and it's just that older audiences will better understand and appreciate them.  Each can be read separately, though they tend to be more enjoyable if you have previous ones.  And he's still putting them out!  Anthony also has several other series out that are on a more serious level.

About Robert Jordan's Eye of the World series, co-authored by Brandon Sanderson and Jordan's wife after his (Jordan's) passing, the series was finally wrapped up last year.  Anyone who liked this series would also really enjoy the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.  It's another massive saga that was wrapped up, but now he's revived it with a spin-off involving the two main characters.  There's only one thing I'm really not happy about...he put out a prequel a couple of years ago that is only in e-book format and is sold privately through his site.  There were a few printed editions when it was released, but they were special editions priced at $300! :o  Apparently Goodkind had some kind of falling out with Tor Books that seems to have been resolved, or at least put aside for now, since the new trilogy is also through Tor.  In any case, these are all very large reads in a very large series, so you definitely don't want to get it if you're not a fan of long sagas.

Among the older books on the market, I also recommend The Belgariad series by David and Leigh Eddings.  Note you probably won't find her listed as the co-author in any printing of these ones.  The publishers were under the impression the books would not sell if people knew a woman helped write them!  :banghead:   The books themselves aren't that big, only a couple of hundred pages each, but the entire saga is made up of several sets of books, each covering a different time span in the lives of the main characters.  Oh, and it has two huge prequel books as well as an anthology called the Rivan Codex.

There's a few more that I can't quite recall at the moment, but I'll be return if they do come back to me.  And if I remember. :giggle2:

x

I own this book but haven't read it yet.

About Robert Jordan's Eye of the World series, co-authored by Brandon Sanderson and Jordan's wife after his (Jordan's) passing, the series was finally wrapped up last year.  Anyone who liked this series would also really enjoy the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.  It's another massive saga that was wrapped up, but now he's revived it with a spin-off involving the two main characters.  There's only one thing I'm really not happy about...he put out a prequel a couple of years ago that is only in e-book format and is sold privately through his site.  There were a few printed editions when it was released, but they were special editions priced at $300! :o  Apparently Goodkind had some kind of falling out with Tor Books that seems to have been resolved, or at least put aside for now, since the new trilogy is also through Tor.  In any case, these are all very large reads in a very large series, so you definitely don't want to get it if you're not a fan of long sagas.

x

Do you mean Debt of Bones? I own it and bought it for a normal price (once in Dutch and once in English). I've only read a few books of the saga so far. My brother has read most of them and really liked them. My sister has read a lot of them too and liked them as well.

x

Among the older books on the market, I also recommend The Belgariad series by David and Leigh Eddings.  Note you probably won't find her listed as the co-author in any printing of these ones.  The publishers were under the impression the books would not sell if people knew a woman helped write them!  :banghead:   The books themselves aren't that big, only a couple of hundred pages each, but the entire saga is made up of several sets of books, each covering a different time span in the lives of the main characters.  Oh, and it has two huge prequel books as well as an anthology called the Rivan Codex.

x

I own these books but haven't read them yet. Leigh Eddings is listed on some of David Eddings' books but not on others.

Unfortunately no, the book I'm referring to is called The First Confessor and is a story of how and why the Confessors were first created.  Below is a direct link to a page with all the details.  Granted, the book came with a bunch of extra goodies, but for those of us who just wanted the book and don't have money trees in the yard, it is most frustrating!

http://www.terrygoodkindstore.com/collections/frontpage/products/the-first-confessor-collectors-edition

Re: The Belgariad series:  My copy of the Rivan Codex (the anthology) does have Leigh Eddings listed, but none of the series itself and I haven't seen any printings here that show her name as the co-author.  Have you got the prequels, Begarath: The Sorceror and Polgara the Sorceress?  Those are my favourites of the whole series. :D

Wordsgood

Wow, I see! That is a lot of money.

I have the prequels too, so far I've only read one David Eddings & Leigh Eddings book so far but I own a lot of them XD. I read The Redemption of Althalus, that was pretty good. I did read some of the books back when I was a teenager in the library in Dutch, but I don't remember much about it.

Among the older books on the market, I also recommend The Belgariad series by David and Leigh Eddings.  Note you probably won't find her listed as the co-author in any printing of these ones.  The publishers were under the impression the books would not sell if people knew a woman helped write them!  :banghead:  

Yeah, I'll never understand that, just daft :rolleyes:

Anyway, yes, they are great books.  The Belgariad will always be close to my heart as it was the first fantasy series I read - I have very fond memories of reading both it and the follow up, The Mallorean.  I also liked the Sparhawk trilogies, The Elenium and The Tamuli.  I have to say, though, I thought The Redemption of Althalus was pretty poor.