Recommend a sci-fi/fantasy?

risingdawn

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll second The Lions of Al-Rassan - and practically anything by Guy Gavriel Kay, tbh. He's a wonderful writer. It's a stand alone historical fantasy. Tigana, A Song for Arbonne and the two-part Sarantine Mosaic are also marvellous :smile:

It would be remiss of me not to mention Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen sequence, which is my favourite fantasy series and has the advantage of being complete. Also, Glen Cook, Joe Abercrombie, David Gemmell and Jim Butcher. David Eddings, of course :smile:

Also:

Practically anything by Neal Asher or Alastair Reynolds

Dune - Frank Herbert

Hyperion - Dan Simmons

The Forever War - Joe Haldeman

The Stars My Destination - Alfred Bester

The Anubis Gates - Tim Powers

I Am Legend - Richard Matheson

The Kraken Wakes/The Day of the Triffids/The Midwich Cuckoos - John Wyndham

The Time Machine/The Island of Doctor Moreau/The War of the Worlds - H. G. Wells

The Night's Dawn Trilogy - Peter F. Hamilton

Feersum Endjinn/The Player of Games/The Algebraist/Against A Dark Background/Use of Weapons - Iain M. Banks

Voyage - Stephen Baxter

I'm sure there are loads more that'll come to me after I click 'Add reply' :lol:

Haha. I've noticed the Joe Abercrombie novels in Waterstones but not had the chance to look through and see what they're about. But the cover appealed to me. I will certainly take a look at the majority of these.

And any others you have sound good as well. I will certainly look up quite a few on my Kobo when I've finished my current book. See if there are any previews or free downloads for any.

Oh where to start!

Some of my favourites (in no particular order):

Fantasy:

Terry Pratchett - Discworld series & other books

Robert Jordan (& Brandon Sanderson) - Wheel of Time series

Peter V. Brett - Demon Cycle series

Karen Miller - Kingmaker, Kingbreaker duology

James Clemens - The Banned and the Banished series

David B. Coe - Chronicles of Lontobyn series

Ursula K. Le Guin - Earthsea Quartet

Ted Williams - Otherworld series (also science-fiction)

Maria V. Snyder - Study series (Young-Adult, Glass series is good too, rest I haven't read yet)

Terry Goodkind - Sword of Truth series (so far, read the first 3 books)

Yahtzee Croshaw - Mogworld (this one is the funniest if you have played some video games, there are lots of references to them)

Blake Charlton - Spellwright

Anne McCaffrey - Dragonriders of Pern series (I've read the first 10 or something)

Charlaine Harris - Runemarks

Some other fantasy authors whose books are on my shelf (but of which I haven't read a lot):

Terry Brooks

Raymond E. Feist

Janny Wurts

R. A. Salvatore

Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman

J. R. R. Tolkien

Brent Weeks

Robin Hobb

George R. R. Martin

Trudi Canavan (and more)

Science-fiction:

Douglas Adams - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series

Peter F. Hamilton (so far I particularly like the Night's Dawn Trilogy

Joe Haldeman

Dan Simmons

Iain M. Banks

Some other science-fiction authors whose books are on my shelf (but of which I haven't read a lot):

Isaac Asimov

Stephen Baxter

Alastair Reynolds

Neal Asher

Well that's all I can think of for now, more might come to mind later on. Great topic BTW, I look forward to check out some of the other recommendations!

I always wondered about the Terry Pratchett novels. Are they all separate? As I wouldn't want to buy a random book and find I was half way through a series or something.

I have read some Raymond E. Feist novels as well as his collab with Janny Wurts. That series was quite good. Even though it was meant to be made up the clothing and the way things were described made me think of Japan.

The Robin Hobb books are good as well. I read the one's about Fitz but I know there are quite a few others.

I always wondered about the Terry Pratchett novels. Are they all separate? As I wouldn't want to buy a random book and find I was half way through a series or something.

This question should really have a pinned post in this section!

There are very few direct sequels, but personally I feel you will get more out of the Discworld books if you read them in publication order.

There is a lot more information on Terry Pratchett's books here.

A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge
Coincidentally I ordered this yesterday (will post a list once the books have arrived), great to hear you like it! I'll check out some of your other recommendations later :).

@ Terry Pratchett novels

I hope you like them, indeed best to read them in publication order but many can be read on their own. Certain characters feature in several of the books. They can all be read on their own (but best to read in order), except The Light Fantastic, which is a direct continuation of The Colour of Magic (the first Discworld book, I suggest beginning with that one, I love it a lot though on the whole some people like the later ones better). Discworld books are of the fantasy genre, with lots of humour. Terry Pratchett has also written some other books, but Discworld is probably the best place to start to see if you like his novels.

Some brilliant ones already mentioned here but I would recommend Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson.
I bought the box set of three (and one seperate), the boxset is still in its plastic XD. I've heard it has a great magic system, do you agree with that?

EDIT: Karsa, I've added some of your recommendations to my wishlist, they sounded pretty good!

Edited by Athena

Some brilliant ones already mentioned here but I would recommend Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson.

Funnily enough I thought of that one earlier on and wondered if you'd mention it :smile:

I bought the box set of three (and one seperate), the boxset is still in its plastic XD. I've heard it has a great magic system, do you agree with that?

Yeah, the magic system is clever, very different :smile:

EDIT: Karsa, I've added some of your recommendations to my wishlist, they sounded pretty good!

I hope you enjoy them if you get any of them :smile:

I read this! It's a great read. Are all his others like this one?

It's actually part of his 'Bas-Lag' trilogy, but I haven't the other two yet - I want to re-read Perdido Street Station first. I've read Kraken. That wasn't as good imo, but it wasn't bad at all.

As Steve's already said it is a great system, it is intricate yet logical and most importantly of all, fun. Great characters too.

I've been looking at them. They look quite interesting. Moreso in that he has co-written the Wheel of Time books.

It's actually part of his 'Bas-Lag' trilogy, but I haven't the other two yet - I want to re-read Perdido Street Station first. I've read Kraken. That wasn't as good imo, but it wasn't bad at all.

Ah, I never realised it was a trilogy. My Mum just picked it up and then I read it. I thought it was a great read. Loved the world-building and it was quite visual. Do you know the names of the others in the trilogy?

• 3 weeks later...

A lot of the ones I wanted to say have already been mentioned but Ian Irvine is a writer I really find incredible in the fantasy genre. Complicated world and characters with none of the usual black/white good/evil stuff.

A View from the Mirror is the first series but the second series (Well of Echoes) is much better I thought and it's set 200 years after the first so there is no continuity you need to be aware of if you want to start there instead.