Reading break?

Athena

I don't know if this kind of thing happens to other people (please post if it has) but I seem to be going through periods where I read lots of books (ie. several or more per week) and periods where I don't read many books at all (ie. only one book per two weeks). Of course this is related to how much spare time I have and what else I might be doing. At the moment I'm not reading so much. Not that the book I'm reading isn't interesting (it is!) but I've felt more like doing other things. I feel ashamed that I've joined a book forum but haven't read a lot since I joined because I've been busy with other things (including the forum XD) :blush2:. But yeah generally over the course of a year I have several periods of a few weeks where I read less and periods of a few weeks where I read more (and of course there are also periods where I read.. medium / average?) (not to be confused with the word "period" meaning "menstruation" mind.. just in case any guy wanted to make a joke about that :P).

Does this happen to anyone else? Do you ever take breaks in your reading and do you have times where you read lots?

I was just curious, maybe if it happens to some of you also I won't have to feel so guilty. (in my defense, I'm busy cataloguing my books on LibraryThing, GoodReads is my main site but LT has nice statistics).

I usually always have a book I'm reading, I can't remember when the last time was that I didn't have anything on the go. Each night in bed I read before I fall asleep. If I have a friend staying over, depending on the friend, I might still tell them that I'm going to read in bed so suck it if you were expecting to only goss goss goss : blush:

I have to say, this forum does strange things to people... So you shouldn't be worried, Athena! I sometimes spend more time reading the different conversations on here than actually reading a book :D This was particularly true when I'd just joined the forum, I was all over the place and couldn't keep my hands off :lol:

There are definitely times when I don't feel like reading, and it will take me ages to finish a book. It might be because the book isn't captivating enough, or I don't have much time, or I want to concentrate on another hobby instead, or maybe I just don't want to read! I would say it happens a couple of times a year, and lasts for upto a few weeks at a time. I might only get through a couple of books in that time, whereas I would normally get through about three books a week.

Yeah I have times when I'm reading less. Sometimes I just don't have the concentration for a book, or nothing is really appealing to me. I can't remember the last time I didn't have something on the go but sometimes it will take me days to read a few pages.

I go through waves of reading a lot to reading nothing. There are times where I just do not feel like reading. I don't know why. And I've been in that slump for awhile (probably thanks to school and wedding planning. But still! I love reading, what is wrong with me?!) It's totally normal! Happens to a lot of people :)

I always have a book on the go, but sometimes if I'm just not in the mood it can take me several weeks to finish one book. Other times, when my mojo is in full swing I can spend hours on the weekend reading, and get through a book in two days or so.

I have breaks occasionally. Sometimes it's just that something else seems more interesting at the time even though I am eager to read my book. I always try and read a bit every few days. But I'm also quite stressed right now and can't focus on reading words where I am doing that for exam revision. :P

I seem to have been in avid reading mode for a couple of years now, hardly a day goes by that doesn't include some reading. I do read more in the summer than winter, but that's because I can't read in front on a TV, so reading downstair in our house is pretty much impossible. My wife doesn't like me sneaking upstairs to read in the evening; she considers it unsociable of me. For some reason though, I CAN read outside in the summer (weather permitting) so I naturally get more reading time then. At this time of year, I'm restricted to lunchtime at work or in bed at night. My favourite time is early(ish) Saturday morning. I don't have to be anywhere till 11.30, so I read in bed with a cup of tea. Best part of the weekend!

Yes, definitely go through phases. They're almost always tied in with the school calendar, with my biggest reading stints usually in the summer holidays and even more so in the Christmas holidays, when I often complete 10-15 books in a fortnight. In contrast, it's unusual for me to finish more than two books in September (only one this year) with the usual frenetic start to the school year. I still almost always have a book on the go - it's just the completion rate that varies (a lot!).

I used to read a lot more when I was younger, but in the last couple of years my health has made an impact on my reading. I always have a book on the go, but I don't always read it everyday like I used to. I used to be a fast reader too, but now not so much.

It is like this for me too. At times I read every day, other periods I don't read anything for many days or even weeks. I usually read in bed before going to sleep. Or at night when I for some reason can't sleep. Sometimes I choose to listen to music instead of reading.

Same here I can go from prolific reading to nothing, I am just coming out of a non reading phase now. I find lots of stress and worries upsets my mojo and this last couple of years has been more down than up and my mojo went completely. Thankfully it's coming back - 4 books in 2 months is the best for a while. Missing mojo doesn't put me off buying books though!!!!